Bored, want to play with E-85 temporarily…

Squid4life

Okay, so I have my 85 converted to IC with the below mods:
Ported big valve heads
Ported intake & TB
Old Eastern FMIC
Hot-wired 340
60’s
Kirbans adjustable fuel pressure reg
KR gauge/boost gauge/Scanmaster
Razors alky
TT chips for 91 and 91/alky

I am currently driving it every day and am cleaning it up to sell here in the next few months. I also have an 87 Twin turbo Stage II car that is torn apart right now, and I have a set of 160’s sitting there doing nothing. Here in San Diego area we have E-85 and I wouldn’t mind playing with it. Wanted to try a mix of 91/E-85 with the 60’s, but forgot I had the 160’s.
I can order a chip from Eric, that is no big deal. I don’t plan on changing much else, since I will be selling it. I have new rubber lines at the tank, minus the feed which is actually braided stainless line and fittings, with an in-line stainless element fuel filter. That line connects to the hard line just forward of the drivers rear tire.

So, stock hard lines, decent fuel pump wired, adjustable reg, will put a new filter on it and get a chip for the 160’s.
Is this doable, or a waste of time? I am just bored and want to play with E-85 since that is what the other Stage II car will run on 100%. Will my current car with what I have mentioned above be good for 100% E-85 once it is chipped, or am I still looking at a 50/50 mix, 70/30 mix, etc?

I have done lots of searching and reading, but it seems like either guys are stretching small injectors (60’s or smaller, which I can do if I need to) or going all out and replacing the entire system. Again, this is only an experiment and something to cure my boredom but without going balls-out right now.

Ideas, suggestions, % mixes, etc are all welcome.
(Should all this be logged with a powerlogger to be smart?... Come to think of it, I could possibly pull the ECM/ powerlogger off the Stage car, and the 160's, and monitor it that way...)

I have 80's in mine and a TT chip. I am at 20psi now but still tuning. With these injectors I won't push them past 23maybe 24 psi. I have not modded anything else, fuel lines or anything.
All I can say is DO IT and go 100% E85. After that you will be addicted.

If you run the 160's make sure your injector drivers are modded in the stock ecm

Are you doing anything special to monitor or tune? 23-24 is pretty impressive. IIRC my car at 18-19 psi and a horrible 60 went 12.7x- 12.8x 25 would be pretty fun... ;)

If you run the 160's make sure your injector drivers are modded in the stock ecm

Ah, good point. Thanks Cal. I guess I'd have to steal the ECM, injectors, and maybe the powerlogger out of the race car. I also have a few chips from Bob, but those are for E-85 and 160's in a Stage II headed twins car... probably a little much for this little turd. :)

that hotwired _340 wont push those injectors far at all. i would data log fuel pressure with the powerlogger. keep a very close eye on it.

that hotwired _340 wont push those injectors far at all. i would data log fuel pressure with the powerlogger. keep a very close eye on it.

I have not done much but drive this car and haven't kept up on logging anything or even how to. Once the logger is installed, I assume I would still need a sensor to log fuel pressure in the powerlogger? I have a temp fuel pressure gauge and hose on the rail for testing every once in a while, and have everything else to do a hood mount to "real time" monitor, but nothing to log it...

Okay, so logging should be done with a transducer in the rail, wired to the analog input of the powerlogger. Got it. May not happen; may just do the hood mount gauge to watch it and ensure it rises 1:1. Trying to stash $ for rods and pistons on the SII motor...

Any ball park idea what kind of pressure it will push/ psi it will support. I imagine it just depends on age of pump, if its worn out, etc. I imagine it is not really designed to push that much fuel except in a double pumper configuration...

Ah, good point. Thanks Cal. I guess I'd have to steal the ECM, injectors, and maybe the powerlogger out of the race car. I also have a few chips from Bob, but those are for E-85 and 160's in a Stage II headed twins car... probably a little much for this little turd. :)

If you are going to stick with the Walbro 340, I wouldn't even bother with the efort to swap to the 160's. The 60# injectors will run out "about" the same time as the pump.

So, it looks like no running 100% E85 for me then, huh!? Probably safer going for a mix... Damn.

Injector swap isn't too bad, and I will be pulling the intake off to change gaskets anyhow. Will think about the 60/160 dilemma... Either way it'd need a new chip....

Bummer

cal, he will max the injectors before the pump. i think we got to 16 psi (would have to look at the log) and we hit over 100% duty cycle. i say put the 160s in and see when the pump falls off. the car we did this on runs 11.75 around 22psi. we have since upgraded to 80s and a dw pump

So, it looks like no running 100% E85 for me then,
Not true. You said you wanted to play. You don't need to set a world record to do that. Get a chip,get a volt booster to maximize the pump,and watch the fuel gauge and O2s till you reach the limit of what you have. You'll probably be able to run 15 lbs of boost. You'll love the awesome torque and how fast the turbo spools. There's a good chance that you'll never be able to go back.

Not true. You said you wanted to play. You don't need to set a world record to do that. Get a chip,get a volt booster to maximize the pump,and watch the fuel gauge and O2s till you reach the limit of what you have. You'll probably be able to run 15 lbs of boost. You'll love the awesome torque and how fast the turbo spools. There's a good chance that you'll never be able to go back.

Not worth it to only run 15psi... I think I am sitting at 18-19 right now on alky. If I could run that or more on E85, I might try it...

Run the alky with the E85 too.

My wife's car traps 113 or so running 80's at 75% (~60gal/hr) with a little meth on top. Bone stock motor with a TA49.

Your fuel pump/ 60lb injectors could roughly match that at 100%, and then add lotsa alky injection as needed to meet target A/F ratio in the mid to high 10's. Should be able to go quite a bit faster than my old lady!

Not worth it to only run 15psi... I think I am sitting at 18-19 right now on alky. If I could run that or more on E85, I might try it...
The stuff is 37% oxygen by weight and it burns slow.. You'll be safely able to run 25 degrees of spark advance and probably more at that boost level. You can also run much leaner at that boost level. The extra torque and super fast spool is worth it alone. I think the car would run as good but would feel faster because of how fast it spools.

Run the alky with the E85 too.

My wife's car traps 113 or so running 80's at 75% (~60gal/hr) with a little meth on top. Bone stock motor with a TA49.

Your fuel pump/ 60lb injectors could roughly match that at 100%, and then add lotsa alky injection as needed to meet target A/F ratio in the mid to high 10's. Should be able to go quite a bit faster than my old lady!

You saying the 60's or 160's plus alky? Good info, thank you!

The stuff is 37% oxygen by weight and it burns slow.. You'll be safely able to run 25 degrees of spark advance and probably more at that boost level. You can also run much leaner at that boost level. The extra torque and super fast spool is worth it alone. I think the car would run as good but would feel faster because of how fast it spools.

Damn, you guys got me sold. Wish it was on the twins car, but will try it out on this old beater first. Thanks again!

You saying the 60's or 160's plus alky? Good info, thank you!
the 60's could provide about 60gal/hr. the 160's could provide about 160gal/hr (if you had 3 walbro fuel pumps to support them!)
The alky could provide another 15? 20? 25? gal/hr of meth depending upon how big your nozzle set up is.

on E85 alone with the 60's, you could only make somewhere in the neighborhood of about ~420hp at the wheels. 12.0ish in a full weight car. assuming bsfc of .85
The meth would add some more room.

the 60's could provide about 60gal/hr. the 160's could provide about 160gal/hr (if you had 3 walbro fuel pumps to support them!)
The alky could provide another 15? 20? 25? gal/hr of meth depending upon how big your nozzle set up is.

on E85 alone with the 60's, you could only make somewhere in the neighborhood of about ~420hp at the wheels. 12.0ish in a full weight car. assuming bsfc of .85
The meth would add some more room.

So, 60's, a chip for E-85 and possibly alky in the mix, but are we looking at 100% E-85 or a lower mix? Or start mixed and work up as high as you can?