Boosting a Stock V8?

BTW, I my first car was a 442, built the motor to 390HP and rolled it 13 days after I got my liscence on Friday the 13th. Then I bought a white Monte SS, DAMN I MISS THAT CAR! I built the motor, LT1 heads, .30 over, cam, shift kit, stainless 3" exhaust, new paint job and stripes, blah blah blah. I had many other priject Montes after that. Ended up buying a 13K mile Turbo RX7 off an old couple. Bought that Monte above 40K miles. I think I'm on TR number 6 or 7 now!!!!! I just love G-Bodies!

Just wondering why do you want the 83 TR carb? You wanting to keep the feedback system? I'm not a carb expert by all means so feel free to bash my question or get a hold of b4black or turbofish, but isn't there a difference the way a carb is setup depending if it is sucks-to-draw-thru or blow-it-thru? BTW, there are nice carb bonnets available, I know you want to keep it cheap but it would be that much less work instead of making one.

Well, I imgined the 83 carb would be a blow thru type carb and would match the set up in a simple way. I'm also more familiar with these than the newer aftermarket products. Are the 83 a draw thru? I guess I may be misunderstanding?

Your gonna have to have a carb. built for blo-thru. Buicks are draw-thru. There are a few 400 horse draw-thru V8's out there though if you need to go that way. I have seen a couple on tow rigs that work very well. Personal opinion, blo-thru would be the way to go but your gonna spend some money. Good fuel pump, big regulator, hat, etc. etc. I have done a ton of research on this. And will do one eventually. Unfortunately I have a wife and family to support,lol. But it CAN be done.

Also, a huge percentage of people will tell you blo-thru doesn't work. I don't listen to them personally. Mainly because I have seen blo-thru's work. Set realistic goals and be ready to learn. It's not hard ! Not NEAR as expensive as fuel injection. But does require some different learning curves. Good luck, have fun.

YUUUUUUUUUP, them there carbs are draw-thru bud. Beings you are ona budget and you need to get a few things lined up I would get a carb built first off if you have contacts on everything else. Like I said, you need to get into the before black forum and post up. If Rich (b4black)or Eric (turbofish)can't help you I would get a hold of Freddie (Freddiesregal)and maybe he can help for find someone that can. Those are the guys Iwould think could tell you the most about the draw thru feedback carbs. You may have to swing by the b4black section on turbobuicks.com to get ahold of him though. Might wanna ask if the feedback system would be sufficient for what you are doing but I would highly doubt it. That carb may be no good to you. There really isn't much room for improvement on feedback carbs like there is on older Qjets. Just guesssing but maybe you should go with a NON feedback carb off a TR and have modified for blow thru application, ditch the emissions and computer, then go from there. I think the TR carbs are 800cfm if I remember right which should be more than enough. Don't piss with building a draw thru setup, blow thru iss the way to go. Just check under your hood:cool:

Could you guys please explain the difference between the draw thru and the blow thru?

Could you guys please explain the difference between the draw thru and the blow thru?

Blow thought= just like the GN but instead of the up pipe connecting to a TB it connects to a carb.
draw thru= instead of an inlet pipe on the turbo it has a carb connected to it.

Ok Mr. Stage 2

;) Blow thru is exactly what it is, it's just like INTERCOOLED motors. The carb motors are basically hot airs with a carb. Draw-thru: The pass header has a seperate pipe that connects to the turbo, which is considered "their" uppipe. Then instead of the turbo being connected to a throttle body or carb, it is bolted directly to the manifold which leads to the intake "path." Then of course there is a downpipe to expell exhaust. On a second separate mounting point the plenum connects to the turbo, the carb is connected to the plenum which has a bonnet and a specific carbed turbo air intake is attatched. So you see what I mean. The draw thru draws the air and fuel through the carb under boost. Just remember: draw thru "sucks" and your car "blows":biggrin:

Buick V6 Intake Manifold Guide

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/be...42869-post-pics-your-carbed-turbo-regals.html

How is the blow through carb set up different from a draw through carb? Just curious. What would happen if you use a draw through carb in a blow through set up?

There are alot of tricks to a blow through carb (seal the throttle shafts, power valve, and more) but when done right they really do a good job. We are using a CSU blow through on our setup.

Carburetor Solutions Unlimited

Picture of our project:
DSC01328.jpg

DSC01330-1.jpg

Jim

So basically a blow thru, the carb/TB is after the turbo. And the draw thru, the carb/TB is before the turbo?

OK guys, how about a TPI set up off of a Camaro/Firebird? Im wondering if i found one at the wreck yard, I'd just swap the whole motor/harness/ etc into the car. Any idea what those TPI 305/350 cars had for compression?

Will be 2 bolt main most likely. 9.5:1 compression. The intakes are VERY restrictive on those motors. They run out of steam at 5 grand. Good low end torque though. If you go thsi route get a MAF style TPI 350 HO. Will have the better cam in it. If a 305 tpi is marginally cheaper go that route. You won't be gaining anything injector wise and maybe a 20hp difference. The 305 makes good power. Get the dual cat setup off one also for a little extra hp (gut it). Injectors will obviously have to be replaced cause the 350 is only 21lbs. You can do little tweaks to the plenum, runners, bigger TB, or do the porting on the TB. There's power to be had just cleaning up those things. The intake is the dead horse of the TPI though. Heads are thin castings also if I remember right. You can use regular v belt or serp, they came with both. I think they went to serp in 87 from what I've read but I looked at an iroc once with a 305 and it still had v belt. I have retarded vast knowledge on these cars so if you have any questions just ask. The bottom end and stock injectors have been known to hold 400hp but I wouldn't try it:eek:

Option B

There is always a option.......:biggrin:

Attachments

• Monty%20eng2[1].jpg
    Monty%20eng2[1].jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Monty%20side[1].jpg
    Monty%20side[1].jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 154
Well, if the intakes are restrictive then thats not the route I want. I suppose a blow thru set up with an old 350 truck motor/4 bolt would be a better/easier option. I wonder how the old stock pistons/crank would hold up to boost?

Well...from what turbofish has led me to understand ist he carb turbo motors have cast pistons, same as n/a's. So I would guess a low compression 350 would be ok. BUT the heads on those old smog motors aren't that great either. You should be able to pick upa cheap set of vortec heads if you feel like it. A 76cc or something like that should be about right.