Boosting a Stock V8?

jdpolzin

Ok guys, I know most of you are into BIG HP numbers and will probably laugh at this idea but I am wanting to do a cheap inexpensive V8 Regal. I'm thinking about just turbocharging the stock V8 and running low boost. I know the motor isnt built for it and I know I wont be looking at big horsepower but thats not what I'm looking for. I'm just looking to ad a little zip to a stock V8 car. What will it take? I'd use a stock GN turbo and weld the plumbing myself. I know there are Ebay headers for SBC turbo motor but how about the 307's? Or am I wrong, did the Regal have 305's? Would I have to do a blow through set up or is a there a way to retro the stock Carb? Or could I do something with an 83 T Type carb? Thanks, just been pondering a few ideas! -------Jeremy

Ok guys, I know most of you are into BIG HP numbers and will probably laugh at this idea but I am wanting to do a cheap inexpensive V8 Regal. I'm thinking about just turbocharging the stock V8 and running low boost. I know the motor isnt built for it and I know I wont be looking at big horsepower but thats not what I'm looking for. I'm just looking to ad a little zip to a stock V8 car. What will it take? I'd use a stock GN turbo and weld the plumbing myself. I know there are Ebay headers for SBC turbo motor but how about the 307's? Or am I wrong, did the Regal have 305's? Would I have to do a blow through set up or is a there a way to retro the stock Carb? Or could I do something with an 83 T Type carb? Thanks, just been pondering a few ideas! -------Jeremy

I think you have a cool idea. However, PLEASE don't use a 305 or 307, they are crap. At least do a 350.

A stock 350 with a stock grand national turbo would be pretty fun, and it would be pretty peppy...probably would outrun a stock GN by quite a bit. To do a blow through carb I think you have to do some modifications so that it will not have problems under pressure. Or you could do a draw through carb.

Turbo V8

There are several companies making inexpensive SBC kits. The OLDS 307 was also optional in the Regal platform. A 455 Olds would be cheaper to "pep-up" the car, although "your milage may vary". The TH 350 would need to be hopped up as well to handle more output.

Personally I'm putting together an SFI Turbo 350 Buick. Will drop into the V-6 mounts and should run with the GN's. Not going crazy with the boost, so the all out street machines & race cars will still be faster.

Good luck with your project, post some pic's.

Jim

'69 GS California
455 Stage 1, Muncie 4spd, 3.31 posi

'82 Turbo Regal
350 SBC/TH400

For Sale!

cheap inexpensive V8 Regal.

I don't think it will apply to this thread :p Had a 350 $1500/2000 PAW motor from Summit if I am remembering right .. Car ran mid/low 11s without missing a beat till he wanted a little more then broke the block !! It was ugly :eek:

Yeah this I know using a 305 or 307 is pretty lame but reall I just want to be cheap as all hell about this project. If it ends up being a little more fun than expected, I can alway upgrade to a better small block. What amount of boost can be run with an IC? I'm thinking probably no more than 6 or 7lbs? There was an article not too long ago in Car Craft where I guy boosted a stock motor in an 80's TA and ended up pulling around 500HP out of it if i can remember till the crank busted. I'm not looking for big power, just a fun little project that may have a bigger and brighter future if it's fun enough. Do the Regal come with Chevy V8's or just olds motors?

Always willin to help ya out!

Never really wanted to do anything like that myself but I have researched it a little out of boredom. You should be able to squeeze 5-6 lbs safely out of it. Even if you do decide to intercool it, the motor won't be able to handle it. Crank/main caps were never built for it but they should survive. Helpful hint to save some headaches-make sure your car has the 4 speed. There were v8 cars out there that came with the 3 speed so watch out for that. Don't quote me but the 85 I believe was the last year for the 305 offered, after that you got the junk 307. Not that there's anything wrong with them but there really isn't any room for upgrade for those-no aftermarket heads is what I'm getting at and the cast factory heads don't have a whole lot of room for improvement. I believe holley sells carbs for blow-thru applications. Why not make things easier and get a v6 car and make that a blow thru carb? Parts would be waay easy to rig that up. GN headers, accessories, turbo of your choice, etc. You coulda had a pretty decent regal to start with, someone on this board had a decent one for sale a while back;)

I want to do the same thing but I want to copy the GN set up.
A GM ram jet intake.
On the driver side I would use a “block hugger” header with a cross over pipe into a custom made passenger side log style header just like the GNs

Never really wanted to do anything like that myself but I have researched it a little out of boredom. You should be able to squeeze 5-6 lbs safely out of it. Even if you do decide to intercool it, the motor won't be able to handle it. Crank/main caps were never built for it but they should survive. Helpful hint to save some headaches-make sure your car has the 4 speed. There were v8 cars out there that came with the 3 speed so watch out for that. Don't quote me but the 85 I believe was the last year for the 305 offered, after that you got the junk 307. Not that there's anything wrong with them but there really isn't any room for upgrade for those-no aftermarket heads is what I'm getting at and the cast factory heads don't have a whole lot of room for improvement. I believe holley sells carbs for blow-thru applications. Why not make things easier and get a v6 car and make that a blow thru carb? Parts would be waay easy to rig that up. GN headers, accessories, turbo of your choice, etc. You coulda had a pretty decent regal to start with, someone on this board had a decent one for sale a while back;)

Yeah, I should have bought your car! I'm really looking to get a very very cheap V8 Regal. I have a spare D5 convertor and a BRF200 4R that I plan to use. As you know, I have access to plenty of GN turbos and parts. I'm going to practice my paint skills on this one too. I'm also going to lower it the cheap way, and get some Cheapo rims. Just something to play with on an extremely tight budget. I'm thinking selling the Limited once it gets completed to help pay for all the custody and court issues for Noah. Once the motor is in the GN, most of the grunt work will be taken care of so I should not have to do anyting major. That will give me an open garage space and a little bit of free time to play and try to make a cool daily driver. And save some miles on my truck.

Does anyone know if a carb from an 83 TR can be used on an NA V8 Regal?

No way dude, well won't be a bolt on and go procedure anyway. Why do you ask:confused: ? I know the jets are bigger in a carbed TR than they are for a carb on a 350. Well at least mine were anyway. You got a whole 83 TR setup or just the carb? If that carb is good I'd sell it to the draw-thru guys. Just a side note, you can bolt a whole draw thru setup on any na v6, EVERYTHING is plug and play. The way gas prices are I wish I would've bought the clean daytona turbo I found and tweaked that for a driver. Can't drive the damn TA anywhere, gets only 11 mpg:eek: . Think there's a tuneup in order:rolleyes: . Back to the task at hand, stuck on a regal or just want a gbody in general? Ever thought about a monte ss? Guaranteed to have a v8 in that! I love Super Sports, just overrated. Don't forget to put an 8.5 in the car with that turbo too!

A little off topic...

Dude, I'm gonna pull the motor and tranny out and strip the whole frame down. I pulled off the intercooler and pipes and gonna yank the turbo off also, is that enough to pull the motor and tranny at once without breaking sh!t? I'm gonna try sitting it all on an engine crate.

How long till it grenades? ( It never did! Go figure.) Grenade part 2 to come.

Check this link out. I think you have to register to read it but it is what you wanna do. Started out with 2 stock GN turbos and a little spray for spool. Made something like 700 to the tires, and he ran it into the 9's. All on a 350" Chevy smog motor that he never opened completely up. IE: cast pistons, stock crank and rods, 2 bolt mains. Be ready when you sit down to read it though..............

1 thread................. over 100 PAGES of replies. Hands down the largest thread I have ever seen ! And it tells it ALL.

How long till it grenades? ( It never did! Go figure.) Grenade part 2 to come.

Check this link out. I think you have to register to read it but it is what you wanna do. Started out with 2 stock GN turbos and a little spray for spool. Made something like 700 to the tires, and he ran it into the 9's. All on a 350" Chevy smog motor that he never opened completely up. IE: cast pistons, stock crank and rods, 2 bolt mains. Be ready when you sit down to read it though..............

1 thread................. over 100 PAGES of replies. Hands down the largest thread I have ever seen ! And it tells it ALL.

Thats the TA I'm thinking of!!!! Damn good article! I need to read a little more to find out what he did for the carb/intake.

Jesse, I think you should be fine pulling the motor that way as long as all the wiring is out of the way. Yeah I used to be HUGE into the SS's. Ive had about 12 of them. I do still love those cars and have thought about getting one for this project. I'm just a little partial to Regal now! I'll have to dig up a few of my old Montes. Hold on a sec, I'll post my last one that I just sold 2 years ago.

Attachments

• l_f85cdfcf64888a63f2f84c97d98f5266.jpg
    l_f85cdfcf64888a63f2f84c97d98f5266.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 624
SBCs are tough as hell. I put 8 psi and a 75 shot on an 10.4:1 LT1 and it didn't flinch (till it went lean and the HG gave up). This was with a Vortech S-trim and no intercooler and pump gas. I don't have track times for it but I can tell you it would demolish my GN if I still had it...as Dave Burns just showed, you can give those things a lot of hell before they give up...

I'm thinking either another TB either white or silver with bench seat or a black cherry monte SS. Jenn loves that color. If I get a monte I already pretty much got it all planned IROC polished wheels, LS1 motor, haven't decided interior yet though. Hopefully in another year or two I will be ready for another project if we can ever get stuff paid off so I can get going on the house and hit the car hard. I just don't plan on doing as much work next time around. Nice SS by the way Jeremy. I looked through that thread, have you thought about doing a carbed LS1 or even get an old TPI motor for lots of low end torque?

Well, my plan is to not buy or build a motor. Pretty much not even have to pull a motor. Just bolt some stuff on and go.

87Natnl I havent read through that article yet but I will check it out right now, thanks for the link. I'm really only wanting to do one turbo.