Boost vs. back pressure

I think boost to back pressure ratio will have a large effect on every thing from dailly drivers to race cars. I think it will have a HUGE effect on selecting the proper cam shaft for a motor.

My car is a 2.3 Ford (now 150 cu.in.) currently with a T72/.81 Q trim. With this combo at 27 psi boost measured at the throttle body I get a true .85 to 1 TIP ratio (23 psi at the turbine inlet) at max rpm.

I bet that when you get into this range you can start running cam shafts that most people swear would not work in a turbo motor.

Dave what kind of .81 housing is that? I'm going to buy a Garrett GT42 for my new motor. Its going to be an off the shelf Garrett and is going to have the huge 1.15 a/r ratio. I do have NOS on my car and a 4200 stall convertor. I have no problem with giving her a little tickle to get her spooling up hard if I have to. (This will be a 270" stage motor with ported Buick motor sports stage 2 heads)

Two more questions:
1. how does NOS effect boost to back pressure ratio
2. any body got any feed back on "Real" garrett GT turbos and what kind of pressure ratios guys are seeing with them.

TIA: Jason

Originally posted by Dave Flanders
I would be very interested to hear what some of the serious race V6 motors are running. My car is a 2.3 Ford (now 150 cu.in.) currently with a T72/.81 Q trim. With this combo at 27 psi boost measured at the throttle body I get a true .85 to 1 TIP ratio (23 psi at the turbine inlet) at max rpm.

That is awesome. I have never heard of a street car(even if its a stretch to call it street) with numbers like that!

Originally posted by postal
I think boost to back pressure ratio will have a large effect on every thing from dailly drivers to race cars. I think it will have a HUGE effect on selecting the proper cam shaft for a motor.

I bet that when you get into this range you can start running cam shafts that most people swear would not work in a turbo motor.

Dave what kind of .81 housing is that? I'm going to buy a Garrett GT42 for my new motor. Its going to be an off the shelf Garrett and is going to have the huge 1.15 a/r ratio. I do have NOS on my car and a 4200 stall convertor. I have no problem with giving her a little tickle to get her spooling up hard if I have to. (This will be a 270" stage motor with ported Buick motor sports stage 2 heads)

Two more questions:
1. how does NOS effect boost to back pressure ratio
2. any body got any feed back on "Real" garrett GT turbos and what kind of pressure ratios guys are seeing with them.

TIA: Jason
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is making me think about what I'd like to try in a different cam. It now has a 260@.050 Crane roller with 112 LSA. Most turbo cams I see now are running up to 115 LSA but is it partially to limit reversion as they are assuming some backpressure? What kind of LSA would a NA motor like given the same RPM range?

Housing is a standard tangential 4 bolt T4.

My smaller 140 inch motor had to have a 90hp N20 shot to get the boost started (which I attribute mainly to my poor header design) whereas the 150 incher needs no assist at all. My nitrous was shutting off at 12psi - it didn't change the TIP up to that point at least, don't know what it would do at higher boost.

I have tested some turbos for PTE in the past and logged b/p vs boost. My current PT88 with the GT wheel has less b/p than boost up to about 18 psi. Once the boost goes higher the b/p is quite a bit higher. At 28 psi, I have 42 psi of b/p. At Reynolds two years ago, I decided to run the boost up as high as it would go. I attached the boost line directly to the top of the wastegate so it shouldn't be able to open. At around 40 psi, the b/p opened the wastegate valve.

FWIW: I run a 234/224 cam.

Originally posted by turbo2nr
Well I was waiting for Bruce to chime in. I may be wrong about the boost vs./back pressure, but I just can't see how that "crossover " could possibly happen.

I don't know the physics of it all.

Just rambling, but;

The larger and larger the turbo, the less and less heat is put into the charge air. It would seem to make sense that with that lessening of heat put into the charge means the compressor is not working as hard. Not working as hard could be taken to mean it's effiecency was better. Taken to an extreme I can see where crossover could be achieved. Not to mention there have been some mag articles documenting that it can occur.

There is also conjecture, that at some of the extremes of Turbo charging, ie boost pressures of 250+ PSI the motor is just a heat source, and then system was actually at that stage of being more of a gas turbine engine, then ICE.

It's sort of like when compound supercharging, the mechanical supercharger is actually behaving like a mechanical intercooler, according to some people. I believe some of the NACA papers also support that.

What kind of LSA would a NA motor like given the same RPM range?

Probably around 106 or so. LSA done properly on a turbo should be for delaying when the intake valve opens. The theory is to let the piston go down abit, let the pressure of the exhaust that was trapped in the cylinder go down, then open the intake valve.

Heres is an issue or two I see with this: (If some one is reading and doesn't know, Lobe separation angle or LSA is the number of degrees between the center line of the intake and exhaust lobes and then devided by two, so 110* LSA means the center of the intake and exhaust lobes are 220* apart on the cam, which would be 110* crankshaft degrees of crankshaft rotation)
On a normal cam when you run a higher LSA you basically split it between exhaust and intake. IE.. the intake opens later and the exhaust closes sooner. Since the intake opens later it will also close later. The closing point of the intake valve is probably the main factor for what rpm the motor makes its power at. The later closing of the intake valve is what bleeds off cylinder pressure at lower rpms and hurts low/mid range power. They do this because the late closing can allow extra air to pack into the cylinder at higher rpm. Basically once the air gets moving fast enough its own momentum does a better job of filling the cylinder. It can over come the effect of the piston traveling back up, and the air didnt have enough time to try to bleed back out anyway. Now if you put the extra LSA degrees all into delaying the opening of the intake valve this would be basically the same thing as retarding the cam. This is what a turbo cam would do to get that trapped exhaust pressure down. Since you put all the delay into opening the intake valve then you also wind up delaying the closing of the intake valve by the full amount. This would make the motor take the full hit in low end and midrange power.

Here is the problem I see in my little brain (it may not really be a problem, I just see it as one)

A wide LSA for a turbo specific cam would mean that the intake valve would close really late for its size. Basically a 6000 rpm N/A lobe would have the closing point of a normal 7000 rpm lobe. So you would have all the draw back of the 7000 rpm lobe but none of the advantages of it. You wouldn't have the extra fill time of the longer duration or the better filling you could get from the higher lift that could be put on the larger lobe.
The solution to this problem is to run a shorter duration intake lobe. For a given closing point of the intake valve you would have to shrink the intake lobe 4 degrees for every 1 degree you want to add to the LSA. So if you wanted to go from 108 to 114 LSA and retain the same intake valve closing point you would have to make the lobe 24* duration smaller! Thats a lot of duration to give up, but if your running alot more back pressure than boost then it wasn't doing nothing but hurting you anyway.

Lets get this so complicated that we all want to go kick the neighbors dog!

Compression Ratio:
Turbo motors run usually around 8 to 1 comp. That breaks down into 7 parts cylinder displacement plus 1 part for the combustion chamber, head gasket piston dish ect. You would then take the total of those two and devide it by the 1 that gives you the "to 1" part of the 8 to 1. After the exhaust stoke if the "to 1" part is sitting there at twice the pressure thats in the intake manifold you would have to let the piston go down into the cyl until one of its 7 parts was given up. You would then have doubled the volume and cut the pressure in half so now its equal to the intake manifold pressure and dropping. Now the pressure in the intake manifold can push some air past the intake valve and into the cly. That extra 1 part we gave up just to get the pressure down just turned our 231" motor into a 198" motor. The worse the back pressure ratio gets the more shrinkage there is and shrinkage is bad!

Lets kick it up one more notch!
The more exhaust that was trapped in the motor then more heat that was trapped in it as well. We're going to have 180 cc's worth of very hot exhaust gasses that are going to be mixing with and trying to ignite the 540cc's of our fresh charge. I've never heard this mentioned before but I can not see how this couldn't have an effect on ignition timing and octane requirements.

Can you see how the boost vs back pressure can have a HUGE effect on a hipo cam selection? If boost is higher than BP you can have the valve opening and filling the cylinder where a normal turbo car could not. You could run a bigger lobe with more duration and lift w/o sacrificing any low end or mid range power, infact you could really increase the low,mid, and high end power all at the same time. Cams are not supposed to be able to do that, but a turbocharged motor puts a cam into a really parculiar predicament.

I'm going to need some freekin prosac by the time I get this figured out! I need to go buy a horse and buggy.

Any more feed back? and did anybody actually read this post?

Jason

Originally posted by postal

I'm going to need some freekin prosac by the time I get this figured out! I need to go buy a horse and buggy.
Any more feed back? and did anybody actually read this post?

I've been having better luck with a Thorazine, Lithium combo. A beer chaser usually helps.

Now that ya gone and mentioned LSA, they're also talking about in them old dead guy files at NACA. In short there is a point when you increase the overlap enough, and have reached cross over, that the valve overlap acts to drop EGTs, as the in coming air is blown into the exhuast stream. It also min.s the self EGR'ing of the motor. Short story is this is the realm of when people can start using wayyyy too much cam (way too much meaning N/A stuff).

Another big issue, is what goes on as the intake valve cracks up, and the high speed exhaust gases *CRASH* into the incoming charge, and fuel. While for years the common thought was that it was vaporization that helped put the fuel into small droplets, it's actually atomization. Ford has done alot of filming of this, but I don't know of any site that's posted it. Some of the *waxy fuel* SAE paper, shows some of these pics, as I recall.

Well time for meds...

2. Turbine Corrected Flow – The turbine flow is also
corrected for temperature and pressure at the turbine inlet
(exhaust manifold).

Example:
Engine air flow (EAF) = 50 lb/min
Exhaust manifold pressure (EMP) = 25 psi
Exhaust temperature (EGT) = 1500° F
Barometric Pressure (Baro) = 14.7 psi

TCF = EAF *sq root of [(EGT+ 460)/519)]
that whole quantity devided by:
(Baro + EMP)/14.7

TCF =50*sq root of ([1500 + 460]/519) that all devided by:
(14.7 + 25)/14.7

= 36 lb/min

I got this from page 31 from this pdf file:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/jsp/catalog.pdf

I had to change the way it looked a bit because a copy paste from the pdf file looked screwed up.

They have turbine maps for the different turbine housing options for the different turbos. It looks like you can change the equation around to calculate for exh. man. pressure for a boost aand horse power level. If I did my algebra right I came up with:

EMP = EAF*sq root of [(EGT+460)/519] ....that whole quantaty devided by TCF .....then Times 14.7..... then subtract baro

hope that make sense because trying to use a ton of brakets made it look really confusing.

I calculated that a GT42 with: 1.28 a/r turbine housing, 1600* EGT, 75 lb/hr EAF (approx 750 hp) and a 2.5 compressor pressure ratio would have a exhaust manifold pressure ratio of approx 2.3. That would be 22 psi boost and 19 psi of back pressure.
same senerio but with the 1.01 a/r turbine housing you would have an exhaust presure ratio of 3.05. That would be 22 psi of boost and 30 psi of back pressure.

I'm not an IN-GA-NEAR but I think I read I calculated properly. Even if my numbers aren't correct at least there is an engineering equation that shows not only what effects BP but by how much.

Jason

Seeing as my math skills are limited to counting on my fingers and I don't have time right now to muddle through equations I'm curious if the BP/boost ratio according to calculations is a linear curve for the more popular turbine A/R's (1.00 to .81 to .63 etc...).

Regarding cams - now you guys have really got me wanting to try a cam with tighter lobe centers. That is if I can hold it past the crossover point at a high enough boost level.

Dave, I'm more than a little disappointed that I had to bump in to you here in order to find out your secret. You never told ME you were @ .85!
NOW I see how you are! ;)

I can still remember attending a tech session @ one of the GN Nats in BG ~5 years ago where Red Armstrong was speaking............ he insisted that large tube headers were wrong for a turbo car because "the gas was compressed and therefore required a smaller volume" I also vividly remember the "tiny" header tubes on the Kawasaki 750 turbo production motorcycle which in 84 was the fastest production bike in the world.

My point is this: Without question, lower TIP's offer the potential for higher HP BUT the tradeoff is the ability to spool the thing up with a usable powerband.
The difference seems to be that the systems with stronger pulse energy (smaller, shorter tubes) seem to be able to approach "crossover" MUCH easier than the systems that drive the turbine primarily with static pressure. It seems that once you allow the gas velocity to slow down............you have indeed lost something very important.

FWIW- my TIP is ~1/1, header tubes are 1.37"ID and output is >200HP per hole @ <8000 rpm and <30psi IM pressure.

JDB

Learning a lot on this thread on backpressure readings for the Turbo Buick. In the diesel world we shoot for a 1 to 1 ratio where the boost and the backpressure are equal. My Dodge Ram recently tested at 45 psi of boost and had 53 pounds of backpressure so off came the 12cm exhaust housing and on went a 14cm housing that proceeded to get me down to a 1 to 1 ratio and also for some reason the truck picked up horsepower and is now in the 490hp range and 1030lbs on torque at the wheels from the previous 470 and 1000 pounds. And yes the hp and torque always has that big of a spread on the diesel engines.

I have a couple of things I could add:

I've run through the thermo calc's on turbochargers
and found that the theoretical minimum backpressure is
around 1/3 boost - that is if the turbine/compressor
were sized such that 100% of the exhaust went through
the turbine and none through the wastegate. This is
due to the fact that the energy in a gas is a function
of temperature, not pressure.

In reply to Postal:

Your theory about delaying intake valve opening to
reduce the remaining exhaust pressure sounds just like
David Vizard's in "How to Build & Modify Chevy SB
Camshafts & Valvetrains", which yeilded a profile of
200/234, 126 LSA, -9 deg adv., assuming backpressure
is 2 X boost. Results were 1000 hp, 1100 ft-lb out of
a 355 at 28 psi with a glass smooth 450 rpm idle.

Your theory about delaying intake valve opening to
reduce the remaining exhaust pressure sounds just like
David Vizard's in "How to Build & Modify Chevy SB
Camshafts & Valvetrains", which yeilded a profile of
200/234, 126 LSA, -9 deg adv., assuming backpressure
is 2 X boost. Results were 1000 hp, 1100 ft-lb out of
a 355 at 28 psi with a glass smooth 450 rpm idle.

A friend bought PCDyno so I gave him those cam specs to see what it said, and it completely barfed - guess it was so far from "normal" that the program just gave up. I sure wish David had used more than 3 pages total to cover nitrous, supercharged, and turbo cams. Interestingly enough, nowhere in that book could I find anything on valve spring coil bind :) (well, I thought it was interesting because I needed a reference at the time on how much clearance was necessary). I was very happy to see his article in the latest GMHTP - maybe I'll renew after all.

I've never read a book by the author mentioned. I had read a book and I think it was by Smokey Yunick, how ever you spell his name. It was in one of his books and in the cam section it talked about a special cam they ground for some turbo car. It did have crazy looking numbers compared to a N/A cam.

I'm going nuts trying to pick the specs for my cam because I don't know of any body trying to run stage 2 heads and have nice street manered motor. Most of the guys running stage heads are in the 230's and 240's for duration. I think I want a cam in the 2-teens to 220's. If I can get a beeter idea of what tip ratio I will be at it will really make picking this cam a whole lot easier.

After I get the cam figured out I will be moving on to building my own sheet metal intake manifold and my own headers.

Thanks alot for the input guys... but does any body have any input on the garrett GT turbos and the tip ratios people are seeing with them? This will be a 270" motor with GT42 turbo. I will go with the high a/r housing if I have to because I have NOS already and I dont mind spraying to get her spooled up in a decent amount of time.

Jason

I tested a couple of similar turbos yesterday and found the back pressure was about one pound more than the boost until around 16 psi. This was only during spoolup. If I set the boost that low, once it got spooled up the back pressure was lower than boost.

Cal,
When you say similar, are you meaning similar to the GT42?
10 Blade turbine wheels with lots of curve to the blades? Did you log the spool up time on those tests? Could you share that info?
Could you share any more specs on those turbos?

Good info!

JDB

Originally posted by HighPSI
I tested a couple of similar turbos yesterday and found the back pressure was about one pound more than the boost until around 16 psi. This was only during spoolup. If I set the boost that low, once it got spooled up the back pressure was lower than boost.

Excellent! What approximate HP level was this at. If I'm using the equation from Garrett's page properly it looks like you would have different back pressures for different HP levels at the same amount of boost.

Thank you for the info: Jason