boost/tach not reading

tribal87

I just rebuilt the top side of my 87 (blown head gasket), we got everthing put in and connected (or so we hope) got it fired up and took it for a spin. While we were driving the factory guages weren't registering (I know I need to to get some gauges) but the turbo-link that we had hooked up was giving readings. Now if the turbo-link automatically shuts down the factory gauges that is fine, I am new to the GN scene I will get over it. But if not where are the connections located? Also the turbo link was showing a constant boost of 5.5 while we were driving. Is that because of a bad boost solenoid? If so I have already ordered a new one along with the hoses from Kirban. Or I have out a adustable wastegate in and maybe I have it screwed out to far/in. If that is the case if there a set measurement that I can use to keep the factory boost setting? Thanx for any help

TurboLink doesn't affect the gauges in any way, so I'd check up behind the alternator.

There are two wires that LOOK like they should plug together (one is a white wire and has a green connector and other is a grey/black connector.) They actually DON'T plug together. One is the tach signal and the other is the fuel pump prime test lead. If they are plugged together they can make the tach not work.

However, since you said the boost gauge isn't working either, it might be something in the dash itself (or your MAP sensor is unplugged too ... that's on the passenger's side fender area).

Oh, and the boost reading is probably because you have the wrong preference selected in TurboLink ... boost is only valid if you have the boost sensing harness installed. If you don't, you need to go to Preferences and choose "MAT" in the MAT/MAP Preferences section.