Blew head gasket on first run ever...

turboculosis

Pleasant peasant
Being that it was my first time it all went too fast.And I was a nervous wreck the whole time.By the time it was all done I realized I messed up in alot of ways.The first thing was I left the line on 2nd gear ,I was also incosistent with the throttle throughout the whole run(never went wot,don't know why),I did watch the boost and was at 23# on top of 2nd(which I thought was 1st).And that's the only time I took a glimpse at the boost,I was concentrating so much on going in a straight line that I wasn't even watching my guages after that ,who knows where the boost was on top of 3rd(which I thought was 2nd) and I believe that's when the head gasket went.But I'm unsure,maybe sooner .boy do I feel stupid.I was running a race chip w/ c16.I came of the line of the t-brake at around 4-5# boost.I had 15 psi in the slicks.FP was at 43psi hose off.I did set the gate screw barely touching the diaphragm and boost controller all the way low and wanted to see how the car reacted to these settings with the cold weather.Maybe mechanical failure on the part of the gate or more like operator failure. .Anyway this how I did:

R/T....864
60'...2.339
1/8...8.288
mph...96.97
1/4...12.317
mph...119.76...
I did have a scanmaster to set eveything up to par and monitor knock and 02's but went blank in the middle of the run.:confused: .I should have let off at this point but I figured since the boost was set really low,detonation was going to be minmal especially with the (pure)c16.Yeah right !huh?...Damn,this is embarassing...:mad:

How do you know it's blown? Have you already tested it, or does it sound like a steam engine?

23# is not too much boost, w/ C16 and the huge injectors you have. However, it may have hit higher, as you mentioned. Very well could be the simple problem of having a cracked/split vacuum line on the wastegate lines, or maybe blew one of them off completely. That would allow it to overboost, regardless of where it's set.

You also could've leaned it out if you weren't at WOT, but still had 23+ psi, because if you weren't at WOT, the ECM and injectors weren't getting the signal to go full rich.

Alan

Did you hit recall on scanmaster, you should be able to get highest 02 reading. There is a bunch of stuff that comes to mind, that is like the 3-4th Merkil engine i have heard of blowing a headgasket first time out WTF:mad: . At 23LBS of boost and C16 there is no way you saw knock unless you overboosted and did not realize it until it was to late.

How do you know headgasket is blown:confused: If so tow it in and i will get one of my guys to stay at night and bang it out. :cool:

Sorry to hear that. Nice MPH, though. Look at the bright side - at least you didn't DOTC.

Jim

ALWAYs ALWAYS ALWAYS make a few soft runs when running a new/fresh setup. This will allow you to make sure everything is set & functioning properly.

Even now, after I've been to the track with my current set up a few times, I still make a few soft runs to check EGT & boost before I go all out. Your max boost will vary with the weather so it's safer to do a check run.

hopefully you didn't damage to much...sounds like it's gonna be a runner.

2nd gear??

How did you leave in second gear if you used a 400 w/ a brake??
:confused:
Mine won't work unless it's in first......

I'm certain that it's the headgasket due to milkshake in the oil pan/dipstick.I did hit the recall on the scanmaster at the end of the run and all i got was --- --- ---.:confused:
I have to admit. Although I just got one run, it was a blast.(literally);) I think the rings went too due to oil all over.Looks like oil was spewing from the dipstick and both valvecover breathers.:eek: Can't really tell till the motor is apart.

Rings??

Most likely the gasket blew into the lifter galley, thus pressurizing the pan.. that's why the oil being blown out...I doubt it was the rings, unless you find a hole burned in a piston..
Still not answered the ?? about the first gear and the t-brake!:D

You're right about the t-brake not working on 2nd.I must have instantly shifted into 2nd as I let the brake button go on the shifter off the line,becuase I only shifted once throughout the whole run and it was from 2nd to 3rd (bottomed out on pattern).Sorry about that.

da shifta!!

That's exactly why I use a B&M Pro ratchet shifter. The trans brake button is on the console next to the shifter. I have to let go the button, then grab the shifter and pull one time when the shift lite comes on....:cool: :cool:

Re: da shifta!!

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
That's exactly why I use a B&M Pro ratchet shifter. The trans brake button is on the console next to the shifter. I have to let go the button, then grab the shifter and pull one time when the shift lite comes on....:cool: :cool:

Chuck i see you ran 133MPH at only 12.2 with a 400:confused:

Re: Re: da shifta!!

Originally posted by njturbo
Chuck i see you ran 133MPH at only 12.2 with a 400:confused:

YEP!!:D Those puny little 215/65's just don't hold the power very well... At least I think that's the problem..;) ;)

The SM2 probably didn't record because the TPS never tripped it. If you got oil out the top more than likely you broke a ring or melted the ring gland. Good luck!

Dont feel too bad. I was at the track at the end of last month, and on my second run, I blew the drivers side headgasket right at the 1/8 mile mark. I had a huge cloud of smoke behind me, and oil all over the engine from the valve cover breather, and the dipstick tube. It sound like you are in the same boat I am. I doubt the pistons are shot. Mine look fine. Does it still run? Mine ran well enough to get it back to the "pit area" I was running 23 psi on a TE 44, 50Lb injectors, 26 degrees of timing, and pure C-16. My O2 volts dropped down to 760, and I got 7.6 degrees of knock retard. This was at 89 mph, exactly what I trap the 1/8 mile in. If I could ever get my damn heads back from the machine shop, I could get her rolling again.

Good Luck

Mine also blew into the lifter valley and out the dipstick.oil everywhere in e.b.(turbulence in engine com. makes it look worse than it is)My heads are off and pistons look fine.(just got them back from rons, cant wait!)Left a nice smoke trail on the street (dont know how that guy in the vette could see(embarassing)

In checking the vac lines of turbo,wg,and controller for any tears or holes I found nothing.I checked the Norgren brand turbonetics controller/bleeder blowing through it to see if it was clogged,and guess what....(note that I said I had the boost controller maxed out low)...WRONG!!!I actually had it maxed out high!:eek: As I turned the knob the opposite direction from where I had it, air started to bleed though and this would explain the overboost that occured.So definately it was an overboost that caused this and not a mechanical or any other failure,just operator falure on myself.I was going by the markings on the knob which says (counter c/w -) and (c/w +).Totally my fault and nothing else.:(

BUMMER..... sorry to hear you had a problem.
Better late then never innovative boost controller.
If you have not checked one out and your at the ford/buick race at Atco look me up and i'll go over how it works

Originally posted by turboculosis
In checking the vac lines of turbo,wg,and controller for any tears or holes I found nothing.I checked the Norgren brand turbonetics controller/bleeder blowing through it to see if it was clogged,and guess what....(note that I said I had the boost controller maxed out low)...WRONG!!!I actually had it maxed out high!:eek: As I turned the knob the opposite direction from where I had it, air started to bleed though and this would explain the overboost that occured.So definately it was an overboost that caused this and not a mechanical or any other failure,just operator falure on myself.I was going by the markings on the knob which says (counter c/w -) and (c/w +).Totally my fault and nothing else.:(

That sucks:( Like someone else said at least you admit you screwed up, most guys would blame the engine builder or fuel or something like me:D :D