Best turbo for my combo?

boosted3

Hey guys, i am about to make my step into 10 sec land and wanted some input on the best turbo for me to buy. I just pulled a TA-49 off and bought some 60# Motrons. I am running stock bottom end, and stock heads and intake. I have a 210/210 Comp cam, front mount, Razors Alky, and have a 3200 stall. I also have a 3" RJC downpipe and a hooker 2 1/2" exhaust. I have a CNC Champion race ported stock intake that will go on in the future. want to get as close to being able to max out my 60#s as possible so that is where i need help. Precision recommended the Billet wheel 62/62 but i just wanted a little more help from the buick community in finalizing this decision. I am adding a wideband O2 to aid in tuning. I would like to stay in the neighborhood of $1000 for it. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! :)

want to get as close to being able to max out my 60#s as possible
You will need considerably more and different parts than you have listed there if you want to use up those injectors especially when you are using alky on top of it. If you do get all the parts needed to make that much power the engine wont last long being a stock bottom end either. Time to start spending $$$$$.

Well, thats not exactly what i meant. I just mean that i dont want to purchase a turbo that is too large and risk hurting something by running out of fuel. So if thats the case, what do you recommend bison?

Without heads you wont see much gain in power unless you want to run high boost. If your converter will couple it id run a 6262, 6176/65. I doubt you will start seeing a power increase below 22psi. We dynoed a car a month ago and it made about 390whp@27psi with a 6262. With heads/intake, and cam added in it made over 520whp@25psi. It was a 93/alky car too.

I do like high boost! I was running 24-25psi with my TA-49. I know thats probably not much of a comparison but i drive my car for fun and always keep it on edge. Should i bolt on this champion ported intake for more gains or will it not do much without a set of heads?
The nearest track to me is about 3 hours away so this is just a street car that likes to have fun!!!

I do like high boost! I was running 24-25psi with my TA-49. I know thats probably not much of a comparison but i drive my car for fun and always keep it on edge. Should i bolt on this champion ported intake for more gains or will it not do much without a set of heads?
The nearest track to me is about 3 hours away so this is just a street car that likes to have fun!!!
The ported intake wont do anything without a good set of heads. Heads would be worth the most where you are now.

Looks like i can add heads to the list along with a trans for next year! Thanks for all your help!

I knew it was only a matter of time til you saw that! Lifes a bitch sometimes! Oh well. Time to start saving again! ;-(

Bison's dyno #'s say it all, our cars need more than just a turbo to lay down the rubber or E.T. number. So.....

Build around the TA49, I say this from experience :cool:, you'll see better results by doing this. The best part is the car will keep getting crazy fast for the street and still do well on the highway.

What 3000 converter is it?
Tires?

Wait until you start doing things like freeing up madd backpressure on the intake and exhaust side for this turbo, it's fricken insane how much of a beast gets unleashed when you ditch just the mufflers (or open the dump) let alone an intercooler.

You'll have free tickets to Spoolapalooza, believe me.

Im going to add a little story to this so everyone understands what im doing.

A friend gave me a 6152 and i didnt look at it very well. I was planning on a $185 freshening on it so I sold my TA 49 and planned on putting the 6152 on the car. When the turbo went to precision for its work, i found out it needed a whole new center section and it was gonna cost $625 which i didnt have. I had a set of stock heads with bigger valves that i was going to port and put on but i sold them to make money for the turbo. Since then, a friend contacted me and gave me the ported intake, i bought 60# injectors TT chip from him, and i went and got a loan for $2g to get the car running again. Now I am back with the stock heads that are on the car and a crazy ported intake but no turbo. Since i was already going to be spending $625 i figured i might as well upgrade to some new technology while im at it. That is why i am going to purchase the Billet Wheel 6262. I am well aware of the fact that im not going to max out any power with my current head/intake combo. I am just looking forward into the future and buying something that will make me happy even 2-3 years from now when i do have the champion heads, roller cam and rocker setup, and beefed up bottom end that are sitting on my wishlist! Please dont think that i was assuming i could just bolt on this turbo and go faster. I was just asking for some help picking out the right turbo for my current and future applications. I want to drive my car this year!!! Montana winters are long and boring and when the weather starts to break i get the fever just like the rest of you!
Thanks for all your input! Ill be calling Cal Hartline tomorrow and ordering up the turbo!