Best time to go to NED?

granitestategn

Gettin' there
I've been to NED twice. First time was a Friday "Street Night" about a month ago. Second time was yesterday for a Saturday "test 'n' tune" that was followed by a bike event and a Central Mass. Drag club event. The first time there I got four runs in for the whole night.:( Yesterday I ran down the track once and got fed up and went home.:mad: There were tons of cars there on the friday night, but not a lot of delays for breakage. Yesterday there were fewer cars, but a lot more down time for broken cars at the line, oiled track, Supra's littering parts and oil on the big end, etc. When is the best time to go to NED to get the most runs in?:confused: Does anyone have a "secret formula" (ie, stay away from club events)? Did I just hit a bad Saturday or is it always pretty slow? I could have gotten a couple more runs in early yesterday, but I was checking out a couple of other GN's. (Thanks for the info. Steve H. and Dennis K.!!!) I know waiting is a part of the track experience. It seems like quite a few people were frustrated with the pace yesterday. Any suggestions? Sorry about the length.

Sometimes it is just very crowded- nothing you can do about that. Here is what has worked for me to get the most runs.

- Show up early! I try to get there at 4:30. If time permits, I change my tires before they open the gates at 5:00. Then I dump my stuff in the pits and tech and try to be first in the lanes, and cool down there for 45 minutes before the first run. If you don't get there until 7:00, "ferrgeett about it".

- Do not go on the event just after a rainout- if wednesday is rained out, friday will be extra crowded.

- Go early in the season- in April a lot of cars are still in storage.

-If the weather looks "iffy", those are the best days because a lot of people cancel plans before the track cancels the event.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Thanks for the tips!

Bob,

Thanks for the tips! I think I could've done better on Saturday if I would have gotten there a little earlier. As the day wore on it got slower and slower. I may try once more before the snow flies (and sticks).;) They'll be closed for the season soon, I would think.

They close on Halloween every year - time is running short!

This time of year, you have lots of people getting in "one last run" (like you), and good cold air, so chances are there will be a crowd no matter what.

If you go on a saturday, be sure to try to hang around until 5:00 - lots of people head out at 2 or 3.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Hey Greg

It is hit or miss with NED....

Sorry we didn't come but my friend Mike wanted to go & look at a TURBO REGAL LIMITED out in worcester area that day..HE HAS THE TURBO BUG BAD!

Gray looking days keeps lot of folks away from NED.. It is a good bet that people won't make the trip if it looks iffy outside.

Friday night is less rice cars because they (ricer kids) like to go hangout & look for chicks. That is why wednesday night is rice night at NED.

You got this weekend both sat/sun & wed night & that is it.

Steve

Hey Steve

Hey Steve,

I was looking for you last weekend. I was wondering if you made it. It doesn't look like I'll get to the track anymore this year. Today would have been the day, but it's raining.:( I guess I'll just get it inspected (I'm due) and take a few runs up 111 to get rid of some of the toluene in the tank before I top it up and put it away for the winter. I need to do my X-braces behind the seat, valve springs and probably the timing chain this winter. Might do some gauges too so I can get rid of the 200 MPH tape all over my windshield and cowl.:D If I can swing it this winter I might do line lock and a hooker exhaust. I should probably look into my rear main seal too but I'm dreading that. My car leaks like a Harley. Oh yeh, maybe I'll fab up a new MAF pipe. I need a drivers side motor mount, too. Well I've already blown my budget and I haven't even bought anything yet!!! Talk to ya soon.

IT Never ends LOL!

Gregg the quest for speed never ends..

Well you have a long winter ahead to Save $$ & install some goodies.. I am stopping at the chip & fuel pump.. Going to get posi unit for better traction..

Not gonna race the GN that much any way.. Maybe hitting NED 3 times a season will be fine for me.

Any way I bought a 82 Regal with SBC in it. May modify it more & beat the snot out of that.. both 1/4 & round track.. will keep you posted... Shoot an email as you do the mods!..

LS

Yeah Steve, I think I remember saying the same thing;) Then before you know it I hit the 12's with pretty much all stock stuff.....then it started gettin expensive:p Wahoo 11's here I come:D
As for NED, it seems to be a lot of hit or miss. Some wen's or fri's are swamped & others are dead. Definatly try not to hit a club night....did that a couple month's ago, frigin Audi night YUK:mad: I also aggree, that the beginning of the season is a lot better.
-Al

AUDI NIGHT

Hate to say it men but NED caters to Imports BIG TIME

BUICK OLDS & PONTIAC GET the BIG fat 0 for events

There used to be a Buick Day at NED. Unfortunately they turned of a lot of Buick owners by the way they ran it, and there were a few years in a row where the weather played some mean tricks on the racetrack, forcing cancellations that made the Buick owners even more unhappy.

Anyhow, that turned into BOP day, but even that died because it wasn't exclusive- any honda or dragster or bike could show up, so the Buicks only got the same number of runs as everyone else! What the heck fun is a Buick day if they are treated the same as everybody else? People want to be treated special on "their" day, kinda like a birthday.

Anyhow, I don't think they will make another BOP day (or Buick day). Lack of attendance by the BOP crowd, and lack of "special treatment" by NED.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org