Best shocks for GN on the street?

Gnx6

I was under the car today installing the Racetronix fuel pump kit with hotwire harness. I noticed one of my rear shocks looked oily on the body. I'm sure it is starting to leak.

What is a good brand of shocks for the GN will handle well but not ride like a tank? I only plan to 1/4 mile the car for a few runs maybe once a year so drag shocks would not be ideal. I don't want to compromise street handling for one day a year at the track, if I even go that often. Thanks!

The bilsteins do seem to be the best shocks available but at almost twice the price of the KYBs are they worth it for a street car that will probably be autocrossed rarely if at all?

TIA
Kyle

I have a set of KYB's and there great! No need to spend double the money on Bilstein's unless you have the money to throw around

All I care about is that the car has a nice ride with good handling. I don't want it to be mushy but I don't want it to ride like a tank either. I would probably go a bit on the side of handling if anything. I only drive the car on weekends if that. Just for a little fill for my need for speed! :)

I've run the KYB, Eldebrocks, and about every other brand of shock made for the G-Bodies, other then the reacing Konis.

For the best in a normal street car application, the Bilsteins are the best. Lifetime warranty.

I bought the KYB's all around for $120, then, before I installed them, I came up with the money to get the Bilsteins, and returned the KYB's for Bilsteins. The warrenty is what swayed me, that and 99% of people who have used them both say the Bilsteins are better.
$240ish from AutoZone, free shipping!

BTW: AutoZone doesn't stock KYB's

Im still trying to decide between Bilsteins and KYBs. Anyone else use both? If the bilsteins have a lifetime warrantee, whats available for the KYBs and how long will a set last? If I have to change em two years down the road I might as well go with the better ones since it will cost the same in the long run. All I know is anything will be a huge improvement over these factory origional shocks. :eek:

I am installing a set of KYB's . For me they are fine. Who needs a lifetime warranty for twice as much?? Does that make sense?? Just replace em every 15 years is fine by me ..

I am happy with my Monroe Sensatrack. I went from busted ass stock shocks that were over 10 years old. I am going to get some adjustable shocks for the front though.

Originally posted by Gnx6
I would probably go a bit on the side of handling if anything. I only drive the car on weekends if that. Just for a little fill for my need for speed! :)

Bilstein

shock to buy

Bilstein... Bilstein... Bilstein.

KYBs are great over the original shock and the Bilsteins are just that much better than the KYBs.

I have used both and can tell you that they are both good. The bilsteins were the winner hands down for overall performance. The kyb's are excellent on my daily driver though.

Your original post asked which is better.
I don't know about the racing Konis.
Best I've used are Bilstein from www.shox.com
Kyb may be worth the asking price, however you asked about better & with Bilstein you get what you pay for.

Bilsteins

Just installed Billsteins and new airbags - Very happy, noticibly better handling and straghter launches.

Don't know what kind of shocks were on there before, (just got the car 2 months ago) They were all black, with no labels or markings remaining. They were probably ancient (perhaps original) considering the way the previous owner maintained the car, and the fact I could completely compress them with my hands.