Battery

9daysbefore

What car battery do you guys use that allows the stock battery hold down arm to be used? The one I purchased this last fall will not allow the use of the stock hold down arm. I purchased it at Walmart (I know :eek: ) and went by what the vendor book said to use in our cars.

I would like to run a DieHard battery but wanted to see what you all were using.

Please supply the battery part numbers with your reply.

Thank you for the help,

9daysbefore

I have a Sears Die Hard in my T and it fits great, i was even able to peel the Die Hard sticker off and its just a black blank looking battery.:biggrin:
(sorry no P/N I got it in 2004)
I have an Optima in my Gn and since I have an alky kit the overflow is wedged in there too so my bracket wont work.

Im sure ACDelco batteries will fit fine too. But its really making sure you get the right group size and not the Multifit ones.

Just go to the boneyard and get an original ACDelco battery out of a newer GM car. Is your WalMart battery a 75 or 78 series battery? You should be able to use the hold down bracket. But if it is not a 75 or 78 series battery, you may have bought the wrong one. Look on top of the battery for something like 75-700 or 78-1000. -----Jeremy

Interstate MT-75 and no fitment issues at all. Are you sure there isn't a removable spacer on the bottom of your battery?

Battery for Grand National

I have the Gold-Duralast battery in my '87 Grand National. Part number 75-DLG, 8 year warranty, 3 year free replacement, yellow top color from AutoZone. Cost $69.99 with a $12.00 core charge. 720 cold cranking amps, 900 cranking amps. Perfect fit, the top strap works fine with this size. No problems so far. Still had room to put an extra extension on the positive terminal so I can attatch the BatteryTender JR. quick disconnect wire to it for storage/working on it/letting it sit for various reasons, etc.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

First, thank you for the replies and advice. I looked at my battery and it has a part number of DT-3N on it. It does not have a removable cap on the bottom of it. If it is the wrong battery (which it must be due to not fitting) the vendors book at Walmart is incorrect. Both myself and the employee looked at the part numbers in the book and it showed this battery. Oh, well...I am just going to have to purchase a different one.

What year of vehicle will the AC Delco battery need to come from out of a boneyard? Any certain make or model?

Thank you,

9daysbefore

I think Consumer Reports recently liked the Walmart battery best. Of course Interstate always comes in around last in their tests. I have two Interstates and I'm happy with them.

I have a autozone duralast I bought in 2001 still in good working order. The key to long life is a battery tender on the batt when not in use

First, thank you for the replies and advice. I looked at my battery and it has a part number of DT-3N on it. It does not have a removable cap on the bottom of it. If it is the wrong battery (which it must be due to not fitting) the vendors book at Walmart is incorrect. Both myself and the employee looked at the part numbers in the book and it showed this battery. Oh, well...I am just going to have to purchase a different one.

What year of vehicle will the AC Delco battery need to come from out of a boneyard? Any certain make or model?

Thank you,

9daysbefore

Pretty much any newer GM vehicle will have a 75 or 78 series battery. I had a Wal Mart battery in my GN and it fit just fine. I think you may have the wrong one!

I found a 75 series ACDelco battery and a 78 series ACDelco battery at the boneyard today. I also found a 100 series ACDelco battery. The 100 series appears to be a newer battery. They are selling a battery for $20.

I know that the prior posts say that the 75 and 78 series battery will fit but will the 100 series? I didn't have a tape measure with me to get the measurements.

Thank you,

9daysbefore

the 75 group series batteries are for the GM cars and small trucks. The 78 group battery is for the meduim to heavy duty trucks.

I have a advance auto battery part # 75-2 fit just like the stock battery.

Previous owner put a 78 series Energizer in my GN... Ive been meaning to change it out with and Interstate for a while. Had to move my overflow and ziptie it to the AC lines because I couldnt get to it between the core support and the fender. Plus it was in there backwards...

Ive got alot of little details to correct with my car. First on the list is a new headliner.