Battery Tender

Linewalker

When I hook up my Deltran Battery Tender, is it necessary to unplug the orange wire by the battery? I don't want to take a chance of shorting something out, but I'd rather keep my chip's memory if I can.

TIA
smile.gif

No reason to unplug it. The battery is more than enough buffer to absorb any A/C spikes from hooking up a trickle charger.

hello people; Speaking of the tender. On a regular bat. not a mainteneace free one you should take the caps of while it's on correct? I do with my reg. bat. for the Buick but not for the MF in my bike. I was wondering if I should leave the caps on?
IBBY

hello; My thought was as with charging a reg. bat with a reg. trikkle/charger is the liquid heats up and expands so I give it all more room to expand. I've had my Buick bat. on a tender caps off this winter and you can see the liquid that's boiled over onto it. I usually ck. the level clean the liquid off and put it in. I've done this for a bit now and thought that was the way to it.
IBBY

If it heats up, you're charging the hell out of it. A conventional battery with removable caps has to be vented to let the hydrogen gas escape during normal use.

hello; So your saying with a tender and the caps off there should be no spatter from the liquid? I don't really know if it's heating up but it's spattering so it's got to be hot IMO?
IBBY

Or the hydrogen and oxygen gas is recombining into water and the distilled gasses are condensing on the cold battery.

My batteries (car and scooter) never get hot while on the trickle charger. Haven't had a battery that has removable caps in ages.

hello people; It might be the gases comming out of the bat. causing what I thalk about but today I'm going to ask some questions and see what answers I get. I might be back.
IBBY

hello people; I gave the tendor manufacurer a call and the answer is you can have the caps on or off on a older style bat. As long as you maintain the proper level. If you have it in your vehicle you'd leave the caps on but it's on the bench it's either way.
have fun
IBBY

hello people; A co worker just bought this tender item (that's new to me) that plugs into your pigtail comming of your bat (if your setup is like that) and gives you a LED reading of your bats state of charge. It's nice and in my case with my bike the bat. is easy to get to so I really don't need it but if it wasn't this item might be of use. that is all
IBBY

It's pretty common for trickle chargers to come with a harness and a set of clamps.

Back in my motorcycle service manager days I used to packrat the hell out of those clamps when I'd install a harness on a bike.

hello; If you want to see what I'm talking about go to the bat. tender site and in the accessories section go to the last page. It's called the digital voltage indicator w/LCD
display. Like I said it's new to me and probably not to most.
IBBY

Keep in mine the phrase 'batter tender' is often used to describe any trickle charger. A real Batter Tender is a name brand with specific technology above and beyond a generic step down transformer.