Automatic Exhaust Dump

Turbo1dr

9 Sec Wanna-Be
I bought a used throttle body off of a 4.6L Ford Crown Victoria. Removed the excess material that isn't needed like the TPS and also shortened the opening for ground clearance. I then fabricated a flange to weld to the exhaust system and to provide a place to mount the throttle body. I fabricated a bracket to attach a stock Turbo Buick wastegate actuator so it would open the throttle body as boost rises. After completed and installed, I ran a boost pressure line up to the intake so it would get a boost signal so it would open while under WOT. It's really a simple idea that works. Back pressure in my exhaust dropped to near zero from 3psi....not a whole lot since I'm running a 3" system but with a more restrictive exhaust system it would work even better.

It's quiet until you nail the throttle and best of all...it's totally automatic.

Video of it working off the car.

dumpcap1.JPG

dumpcap2.JPG

3inchexhaust2.JPG

Cool idea. I was going to make a boost activated dump, too. I am a little concerned about the aluminum TB siezing over time. Is it leak free? Or does it burble at idle? I was also going to put a vacuum valve inline so I could turn it off if I was next to a Cop.

Pretty cool!

Most newer performance cars actually have these. My M45 has one that bypasses the second set of mufflers. Ferrari's and Vettes also have this type of bypass valve. They are at the muffler way down stream. Your design would be more beneficial for our application.

Good job!

Dan

Cool idea. I was going to make a boost activated dump, too. I am a little concerned about the aluminum TB siezing over time. Is it leak free? Or does it burble at idle? I was also going to put a vacuum valve inline so I could turn it off if I was next to a Cop.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. It's never seized and it doesn't "burble". The original throttle return spring and the wastegate actuator keeps it closed and leak free. If you want some tone you can adjust the minimal idle set screw that can be turned to keep it open just a little. The way it sits on the pipe...if it's open any at all and you're on dirt, it will flog dust wildly.:rolleyes:

Hey turbo1dr, if you keep adding all those seamless 'automatic' functions to that car, pretty soon it will drive itself! That's some innovative thinking there. Very impressive fuel system too.

Very cool idea. :cool: I have a question, what year/model ford did you source this TB from? Thank you.

Did you just tee off the vac hose going to the regular actuator for the turbo? No issues taking vac from there and splitting it to two items? Nice work, very impressive.

No. I run it to the line that runs to the vapor canister... just behind the alternator. If you're not running the EGR system, just put it to that line.