Are steering box adjustable? Where can I buy a pitman arm (a good one)

5ltretr

I have play in the steering wheel was wondering this the steering box is the culprit..

also need a good quality pitman arm...

You could probably put the car up on jacks in the front and have someone grab the tire @ the 9 and 3 o'clockk position. Push on the tire from front to back and you will probably be able to tell where the slop is. I know I had an issue and it was my idler arm, relatively inexpensive repair.

I had a sloppy steering wheel on a 1981 monte carlo once. There was an adjusting bolt on the steering gear case. I tightened it and it worked well. Check on your car, it might be similar.

Pitman arm

The Pitman arm is considered a non-wear item. It only has 2 holes and no moving (swivel) parts. Main reason to replace it would be because it was bent from impact damage. That's why nobody shows it in their parts catalog, they hardly ever go bad. The holes could get wallowed out or elongated if the nuts on the center link or gear box were left loose, I suppose, but I've never seen that happen.
Check the usual culprits for play: Idler arm, outer tie rods, center link, ball joints, wheel bearings, inner tie rods, A-frame bushings and of course gear box. By the way, there are TWO adjustments on the gear box to do it correctly.
You know, Gyrheads and Sons makes a complete Moog front end rebuild kit for around $310. Parts only. HTH.

Also check the intermediate shaft. It is the shaft that connects the box to the steering column. There is a rubber piece that wears out and will cause alot of play.

HTH

KevinB said:
Also check the intermediate shaft. It is the shaft that connects the box to the steering column. There is a rubber piece that wears out and will cause alot of play.

HTH

I ran into a problem like this on my friends 86 gn and coem to find out the bolt that bolts the steering shaft to the lower part of the steering colum had worked loosed. the bolt is located rite below the powermaster on the steering shaft check it and see if its tight.

my 2 cents anyhow

TURBOTWIN2 said:
The Pitman arm is considered a non-wear item. It only has 2 holes and no moving (swivel) parts. Main reason to replace it would be because it was bent from impact damage. That's why nobody shows it in their parts catalog, they hardly ever go bad. The holes could get wallowed out or elongated if the nuts on the center link or gear box were left loose, I suppose, but I've never seen that happen.
Check the usual culprits for play: Idler arm, outer tie rods, center link, ball joints, wheel bearings, inner tie rods, A-frame bushings and of course gear box. By the way, there are TWO adjustments on the gear box to do it correctly.
You know, Gyrheads and Sons makes a complete Moog front end rebuild kit for around $310. Parts only. HTH.
$309 plus ship, no center link or idler arm. $389 plus ship complete package. My bad.

TURBOTWIN2 said:

What are the two adjustments on the box?

I turned the screw several turns, in about 1/2 turn increments, in one direction then back to center, then the other direction. The feel of the wheel changed as in tighter but the slop was still there - the tightness was a stiffer box it did not take the play out