anyone using SMC's NEW!!! Boost Variable Speed Controller???

jsta6

John 15:17
anyone have an opinion on anything?

Has anyone used SMC's NEW!!! Boost Variable Speed Controller yet?

Any feedback?

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Once my loan is approved, I'm gettin one as soon as my kit comes back from the repair shop. :D
Dude, seriously you need to chill with the anti-SMC kit attitude you keep putting out. jsta6 has a legit question and you poke him in the eye with a cut to the SMC kit. Not only are you anti SMC, but you are also anti pump speed controller from another post. I think you have added some good comments to several other posts and/or topics but enough already with the anti SMC talk. (By the way I have neithe DIY or SMC ...yet)
My apologies to jsta6 for hijacking his thread, but I am also wanting to learn more on controlling alky and am tired of this constant bashing by this one guy.
I would have done this in a PM or e-mail but I've had some trouble on my end with my computer. I'm not trying to turn this into a hate-thread and I don't mean to come off ugly. All I'm saying is if you can't say something constructive, don't say anything.

Originally posted by Tom Willard
Dude, seriously you need to chill with the anti-SMC kit attitude you keep putting out.
I would have done this in a PM or e-mail but I've had some trouble on my end with my computer. I'm not trying to turn this into a hate-thread and I don't mean to come off ugly. All I'm saying is if you can't say something constructive, don't say anything.

I'll say as I please.........DUDE! What are you......trying to get on the payroll? My comments only reflect the truth. What do you think.........you got a problem with what I say and you think I'm gonna wimp away? You're the one that'll go away. ;)

Originally posted by jsta6
Has anyone used SMC's NEW!!! Boost Variable Speed Controller yet?

Any feedback?
This is the first I've heard of this controller. Got a link?

John is crazy...

lol @ John.

John, you would hate to hear what I paid for my leather seats. Also, when asked, I loan my tools out at the junk yard.:cool:

Thanks Tom, you are right, John is beating that thing pretty hard.:rolleyes:

I have done a TON of DIY projects! GNX dash, center console armrest, cold air kit, clear parking lights, ashtray switch plate, intercooler scoop, radiator air deflector, trunk kit, etc. etc. etc.

All of which I am happy to share with others:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shawnco/projects/projects.htm

I bought my SMC kit a while ago, and I don' think that the DIY kits were perfected or the parts weren't as readily available back then. Or else I would have done it. But I have the SMC kit now, and I am VERY happy with it. Never had a problem until now, and Steve is going to replace it, even though the warranty is expired. Plus, I don't think the DIY kits have progressive spray controlers, do they?

Anyway, there are some good things that can be said about complete "turnkey" systems. All the work is done for you. Just plug and play.

Are you going to use two stock rear swaybars tied together, or are you going to buy an ATR bar?

Re: John is crazy...

I bought my SMC kit a while ago, and I don' think that the DIY kits were perfected or the parts weren't as readily available back then. Or else I would have done it. But I have the SMC kit now, and I am VERY happy with it. Never had a problem until now, and Steve is going to replace it, even though the warranty is expired. Plus, I don't think the DIY kits have progressive spray controlers, do they?

I'm really glad I don't have all the problems I've been reading about on this forum. "Hard to tune","My turnon lite doesn't work", "my pump isn't working", "my spray lite stays on", "leaky pressure switch", "my connectors are corroded", "my pump quit at 20lbs of boost".............PHEW!

Hey, brand loyalty is good. I guess you want to share your experiences with your kit 'cause "misery loves company". I don't blame you guys for being touchy about spending $400 for something that I spent $150 for. :p Well actually, truth be known, my kit's reliable. I can even fix it if I have a problem, though none has arisen in 70,000 miles. Not true everything wasn't available a long time ago. I have my DIY kit on for 3 1/2 years. You just didn't look. I WILL make everyone know they don't have to spend a lot of money for an alky kit. That's not a bad thing. :p By the way, if I want a progressive boost controller, I'll see Razor and save money there, too. Oh, and good for you.....you loan your tools in the junkyard. :rolleyes:

Re: John is crazy...

lol @ John.
I don't think the DIY kits have progressive spray controlers, do they?

Anyway, there are some good things that can be said about complete "turnkey" systems. All the work is done for you. Just plug and play.

hear hear :)

Better do your research as to why and what before you plunk down the green :D (search PAC)

First..if you do a progressive, the idea is to start it sooner than the a typical 12 PSI that kits are started at. Why so the transitional knock is handled.. but this poses a problem at the track, since your building boost on the line, last thing you want is alcohol to start spraying and dull the car out of the hole...so this has to be corrected when the car gets into this condition.

Then..when it starts to spray..lets say at 8 psi..how much alky is rite for your combo? IOW in SMC terms what pump speed at 8 PSI?

Finally..So its progressive huh?.. what pump speed do you ultimately want at what PSI is the final hurdle..Do you want pump speed 6 or pump speed 20 at 25 PSI of boost.

The progressive idea has a lot of potential, the real main one is to run bookoo amounts of alky in a linear rate, without having to go to the complexity of a multistage system.

If the SMC kit addresses these issues.. he's on the ball. If not..there is room for improvement. I dont knock Steve's kit..hell I "had" one on my car for a year and a half..just found that improvements were needed on his great idea..let alone hit a performance wall at the mid 11 sec range due to "not enough alky" syndrome :D

Just my .02

Julio

As I understood this subject, the variable boost speed controller was made more for the smaller turbo 4 cylinders wasn't it? Since they couldnt handle a sudden blast of full on alky without bogging?

After installing my single jet, standard SMC; I experience no problem with it turning on all at once. Granted, i'm not into the 11's like razor was when his couldn't keep up ... but once my car was runnin 18-20 max PSI it had no problem with the full speed turn on set at 12psi or so.

Just a thought ....

I remember now.

I went with the SMC over the DIY becuase of the alchy is flamable. I don't want to take any chances with my kids in the car.

You guys keep talking about the "problems" with the SMC kit.

Why do you think you keep hearing about these problems? If 10 times the number of people use SMC then use DIY, then you will here more about the SMC problems then the DIY problems.

I don't think that the SMC kit has more problems, just more people use it. A lot more. So it just seems like it has more problems.

I will stay with my SMC kit, thanks.

Originally posted by stevemon

I'm not a fan of the SMC kit but because of it's reliability problems and the in-car adjustment feature is an unnecessary expense that compromises reliability & complicates troubleshooting.

I think that SMC has sold 50 times as many kits as there are DIY guys (on TB's) and therefore is going to have some more people having trouble than the DIY folks. Any why people dont understand that tunability is a good thing, I just dont get. Just because you cant, doesnt mean you shouldnt. I hear from Red Regal T (John) how Transitional knock of 5+ degrees is "normal" with the Alky kit, and how "sometimes you just get that retard".

Tell me thats normal after you get that for 75,000 miles of driving it. I know Johns almost there. Show me your crank from all that "no problem" transitional detonation.

It doesnt really matter now anyway. I know the best thing out there now is the setup that Razor has, but every time I hear one of you hardcore "DIY IS THE ONLY THING TO GET" guys moaning because someone "has a problem with a SMC kit again" it just gets tiring and is not really accurate towards SMC.

Bob

Ive had my SMC kit for 2 years and NEVER had a problem with it. ANd Steve is great for support also, sent me a new cap for free!! :)

I like Data, and tweaking it the best way possible for my car. I can't get that from a ME. So, I burn my chips using a burner, eraser and program to visually see everything. The ME is good for some people who dont really want to dig into it all.

Nice try though, steve. :)

Originally posted by DJay
As I understood this subject, the variable boost speed controller was made more for the smaller turbo 4 cylinders wasn't it? Since they couldnt handle a sudden blast of full on alky without bogging?

After installing my single jet, standard SMC; I experience no problem with it turning on all at once. Granted, i'm not into the 11's like razor was when his couldn't keep up ... but once my car was runnin 18-20 max PSI it had no problem with the full speed turn on set at 12psi or so.

Just a thought ....

18 -20 PSI you can tune out using water. The knock problems come from those wanting to run 23+ PSI whereas the turbo spools up so fast into the 23+ land..alky needs to catch up.

See those that run a couple extra PSI of boost never encounter equipment limitations. When you get to the edge..thats when the seams start splitting.

JSTA6 time for an electric vehicle..gas tanks hold flammable liquids as well..oil and tranny fluid are also flammable.. :D If I made $200 plus per kit, I too would warranty for life...

Stevemon, many ways to do the same thing thats what makes the world go round. I dont like opening my hood personally unless I have too. I wont knock your efforts and time/committment dedicated to this stuff...Hell the stuff I'm doing currently is based on that premise..I'll never say a Hobbs switch and NOS nozzle wont work...I just have a different view/way of doing a similar thing :)

Originally posted by stevemon
Yeah, whatever Bob.
Wrong Again. Get your facts straight before you add any more erroneous comments please.

Forgive me, Steve. I dont call Hobbs Switches tunability.

Call it what you will. Get out under your hood and start tweaking stuff, thats fine by me. We obivously look at this from different points of view. Im tired all this argument anyway - there is more than one way to do this thing we call alky.

Originally posted by Mr URL
Please take that off-line guys.

Why don't the mods do something? You've protected other vendors...

I don't know what he said, but from every other post of his I can assume that it's worthless.

That progressive controller is $149 btw.

JSTA6 time for an electric vehicle..gas tanks hold flammable liquids as well..oil and tranny fluid are also flammable.. If I made $200 plus per kit, I too would warranty for life...

Yes, but I didn't run the hose from the gas tank to the engine by myself, someone at GM did...:D

While we are at it, can you guys give me your comments on the following:

spark plugs
oil
oil filters
redline water wetter vs rmi25
tires
:cool: