Anyone Try This Turbo Surge Fix

SpeedRacerX

My car has the Turbo Surge issue at part throttle that many on here have discussed. I know several have claimed that the Tornado fixed the issue. That was years back. Is that still the easy answer?

Anyway, I stumbled across this video on YouTube of a guy using a Resonator box from a 1984-1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo. Interesting explanation of the turbo surge too.

Anyone try this method? Not sure if I'd like the look of it but I would like to solve the surge.

Interesting video but I wonder why a Buick vendor hasn't come with this if in deed it fixes the problem?

I no longer run a MAF, I have FAST and don't experience this problem Interesting vid though.

Theory;The resonator slows the air down enough where it is not detaching from the short side radius of the MAF tube. The air presents to the center of the compressor wheel. Air going to the side of the compressor wheel will contribute to surging.

Interesting video. So by his theory at maf-less car (SD) set up would not have a part throttle surge. Being that the 49 series turbos are especially prone to this, it'd be interesting if anyone had this surge, changed to an SD set up and if the surge was gone.
I'll be doing just that this winter. I can report in the spring my results.
In the meantime, has anyone else done this?

I was getting what l would call Maf back flow with a zo6 cartridge type Maf at low speed throttle open and let off like doing a burnout car would die.Installed Tornado in front of turbo 5 years ago solved problem.Diden't seem to hurt power, ran 10.63 at 128 with .10 off 60 ft at BG 2015 on 23 lbs

Where are you guys finding these tornado things and how do they work? I have horrible surge half throttle with my TE-44.

You see them come up on here from time to time. Otherwise a company called Hydrogen Pros still sells them. $20 + shipping.
I've got a 55/57 which flows like a 49 but spools much quicker. Cruising down the road, no boost it's like I am going from 1/2 throttle to 3/4 over and over, just kind of revving.
A tornado did help a little. Jammed right up tight to the turbo. But I had a hard time keeping it there. It wanted to move down the pipe.
I'm redoing things this winter and going SD2.
It will be very interesting if this surge goes away with the maf removed.

Where are you guys finding these tornado things and how do they work? I have horrible surge half throttle with my TE-44.

You might find one in my scrap pails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well crap Bison I wish you would of tossed in the box when I bought that TE-44 from you lol. It tickles my balls my full throttle but makes my ass itch part throttle. :eek:

Bison, what do you think of the videos claim it's the reverberation to the maf that's causing the surge?
SpeedRacer, sorry to high jack.

If you look at what's really happening you can come to a real conclusion as to what makes these wheel combos spool well. If the throttle is barely open the compressor may be moving more air than the engine can swallow (because the throttle isn't open).

84b33322bd8cccb861b5e6435111a572.jpg
you're in the red area at part throttle

Bison, what do you think of the videos claim it's the reverberation to the maf that's causing the surge?
SpeedRacer, sorry to high jack.

I didn't waste my time watching the video. I've explained what's actually happening on here many times.

If you look at what's really happening you can come to a real conclusion as to what makes these wheel combos spool well. If the throttle is barely open the compressor may be moving more air than the engine can swallow (because the throttle isn't open).

So is there a way around this? I did not have this issue with a 70mm tb/plenum and the 3" up pipe supplied with the PTE slic. I removed/sold the tb/plenum and PTE slic do to rubbing of the hood liner and the bracket/scoop issues associated with PTE slic. I went back to the stock tb/ plenum and GN-1 slic and bam surge city part throttle.

I think a quick search would bring this. Tornado deal brought up several times . lol I would love to have some magic cure for stuff like this or maybe a pour in extra 40-50hp

I had a weak coil ( on the pack)years ago on one of my cars with a big turbonetics t70. Felt and acted just like surge. Ended up switching to a tr6 and no issues since.

I think a quick search would bring this. Tornado deal brought up several times . lol I would love to have some magic cure for stuff like this or maybe a pour in extra 40-50hp
So is there a way around this? I did not have this issue with a 70mm tb/plenum and the 3" up pipe supplied with the PTE slic. I removed/sold the tb/plenum and PTE slic do to rubbing of the hood liner and the bracket/scoop issues associated with PTE slic. I went back to the stock tb/ plenum and GN-1 slic and bam surge city part throttle.
No,not with your combo.

Bison, so the solution is what? A different Turbo? A more responsive throttle body? Port the intake manifold and throttle body so the engine can swallow more air?

Why does that still confuse me? The engine CAN swallow more air at wide open throttle and the surge does not happen there.

How about this? A different ratio or gear on whatever opens the throttle body so that for each mm of pedal input, the throttle body opens more and sooner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
50 extra hp easy nitrous;)
Lol yep
Bison, so the solution is what? A different Turbo? A more responsive throttle body? Port the intake manifold and throttle body so the engine can swallow more air?

Why does that still confuse me? The engine CAN swallow more air at wide open throttle and the surge does not happen there.

How about this? A different ratio or gear on whatever opens the throttle body so that for each mm of pedal input, the throttle body opens more and sooner.

Search the word surge and I'm positive you will find the solution.