Anyone Try This Turbo Surge Fix

Bison, so the solution is what? A different Turbo? A more responsive throttle body? Port the intake manifold and throttle body so the engine can swallow more air?

Why does that still confuse me? The engine CAN swallow more air at wide open throttle and the surge does not happen there.

How about this? A different ratio or gear on whatever opens the throttle body so that for each mm of pedal input, the throttle body opens more and sooner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just put something that spoils sower on there. It doesn't surge when the throttle is open further because the mass flow is a lot higher. Air flow moves to the right and falls under the surge line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surge is caused by the drive pressure dropping and the motor not being able to swallow the air

You can port everything you want before your restrictive heads and it won't make a difference. Buy bigger throttle body's , headers, Ect but till u get the right size turbo or a better flowing set of heads /cam u will have issues

Just want to add I have seen 49/44 turbos surge at part throttle for 60,000 plus miles and never saw one issue with the turbo.

Just want to add I have seen 49/44 turbos surge at part throttle for 60,000 plus miles and never saw one issue with the turbo.
Hmm I would agree with the 44/49 turbo would spin faster with a blockage placed directly in front on the Intake

Surge is caused by the drive pressure dropping and the motor not being able to swallow the air

You can port everything you want before your restrictive heads and it won't make a difference. Buy bigger throttle body's , headers, Ect but till u get the right size turbo or a better flowing set of heads /cam u will have issues

No

Okay so I should buy some more performance parts ? Port my intake manifold? Maybe a bigger throttle body??

How would any of that help with part throttle surge? The throttle position is the culprit.

How would any of that help with part throttle surge? The throttle position is the culprit.

As in the TPS or the physical throttle plate? Was my idea of getting the throttle to open sooner per each pedal input or movement crazy?

As in the TPS or the physical throttle plate? Was my idea of getting the throttle to open sooner per each pedal input or movement crazy?

The turbo is blowing air at a mostly closed throttle blade,. Air has nowhere to go, so it surges back and forth.

Last edited:
Cure is not to drive at anything less than WOT. Simple cure.

So as this air surges back and forth does it affect the MAF reading? Would going to an SD set up then cure this? I can't help but to feel that it might be the case as installing a Tornado up close to the turbo inlet seems to help. For some it cures it, others as in my case it was a marked improvement but not a complete remedy.

If there was nothing to it, the tornado would never work. At all. Or in the case as the original post video shows, this box wouldn't have helped either.

There is only one way that this can be done. You have to get rid of the MAF, go with SD2 or fast is the only way to get rid of the MAF. Then you can safely install a BOV on the up pipe. If you don't get rid of the MAF and use a BOV, that will screw up the air readings. Bob Bailey has done this, and from what I understand bye,bye surge.

What about a anti-surge compressor housing on a TE-44?
I have heard that sometimes yes sometimes no, it does depend on the set-up. Some what like the tornado, you hear that it works for some but not others. For me Bison is spot on about the tornado some have been sucked into the turbo. And bye bye turbo. Bob Bailey is the only one I know of with the BOV that works. Also the GN's that run road course run BOV's they just about have to with there half throttles in the curves

By all means you can. I have not seen it done, however that doesn't mean much as I don't get out very offen

You dont need to get out to see when u have the internet lol. Here.
89636299071d3d870df90ea960f751e3.jpg

You can try giving the car more throttle blade at idle if the surge really bothers you but I haven't seen it hurt anything I also have seen stock cam ported heads and intake 49 combos still have surge if the car really spools fast.having a larger turbo stopped the surge.the smaller turbos can make boost so fast the motor doesn't rpm doesn't climb fast enough.brian comp map shows the reason for the surge.

You can try giving the car more throttle blade at idle if the surge really bothers you but I haven't seen it hurt anything I also have seen stock cam ported heads and intake 49 combos still have surge if the car really spools fast.having a larger turbo stopped the surge.the smaller turbos can make boost so fast the motor doesn't rpm doesn't climb fast enough.brian comp map shows the reason for the surge.
Thanks. Yes, I'm not too worried about it hurting something. Just wanted a little better driveability. Rather than just "power full and power off" I sometimes like to use the power in between [emoji41]

Thanks to those who replied, I believe I understand now. I'll chase or implement the solution this Spring.