Anyone into stocks?

87grandnat

I am wanting to open an account somewere to do some small investing, trading (always wanted to get into trading but never had the money)
I know some of you guys are into investing and stocks and what not...were do ya'll use? what is a good place for a beginner to use and doesnt require alot of money to open an account or get started?

any help is much appreciated,
Joshua

Currently using A.G.Edwards for several accounts. Sound advice for long term investments. Bro.ker gives some good advice. Been with them for a few years.

Cool, I am considering using Banc of America investments, since I have an IRA through them and do all my banking with them, but am really looking for as much info as possible...I will be doing long term trading as well (not looking at day trading or nothing like that)

thanks,
Joshua

Cool, I am considering using Banc of America investments, since I have an IRA through them and do all my banking with them, but am really looking for as much info as possible...I will be doing long term trading as well (not looking at day trading or nothing like that)

thanks,
Joshua
Good plan there, We have multiple accounts/cd's and own stock in BAC. Try to keep everything diversified in different types of accts. Don't react to short term tumblings in the market. Go for stocks that YOU like, ie; who makes that amazing cleaning product, the restaraunt/shop/store with excellent customer service, etc.

to 87 gand national

i buy mine straight out of my paycheck as i work for wal-mart, and they have an employee stock program, if not i wouldn't be able to build my car bit by bit, my signature is just what it will be in the end, Jim ;) :D

I worked at Wal Mart for 7 years! I was a produce lead, then I transfered to the D.C. and recently left to pursue trucking. I did the same thing you did and had it come straight from my check, and when I left I had a pretty good chunk of change.

Joshua

Imo

This is probably the worst time in recent history to be getting into the stock market. Looks like it is going to be a very bad DOWN year.

This is probably the worst time in recent history to be getting into the stock market. Looks like it is going to be a very bad DOWN year.

WHY WOULD LOW STOCK PRICES BE A BAD TIME to buy???? THIS IS THE TIME YOU WANT TO BUY ( BUY LOW SELL HIGH)

No, I havent come up with the funding or time to get into it but I am continually studying and trying to learn as much as I can before I get going....im looking at about 6 months before I can get into it.
But now is a great time to get into the market, just like the poster above me said. The market will get better its just a matter of time...and even now there are still stocks that are doing great even in this market. Hopefully when I am ready I will be even more confident about me being able to succeed and make a career out of this even if it takes some time.

as Warren Buffet said...buy when others are scared and sell when others are greedy!

Joshua

Switching mine to more *risky* stocks. I dump a certain amount every week into my 401K. I can then buy and sell when I want with that money.

It may seem like the worst time to buy, but.... I can easily get into some of the stocks I was holding off on. Remember when Cisco took a dump a few years ago? They didn't make a bad product, it was the tech industry that everybody bailed from. Cisco is doing great now. Or when the Japanese stock market crashed around '97? I immediately put money into the Fidelity JPNX fund. It was comprised of some of the big hitting Japanese companies. A year later it was up 200%$$$$

I look at it as is the company doing bad because of itself or the economy/industry? It might sound crazy but, I am planning to put a little of my money into GM and maybe even Ford, not entirely sure about ford yet. GM has some incredible technology coming down the pipe. They have a joint venture with a company that can get E85 to your tank for less than $1.50 a gallon! They are leading the industry as far as battery powered cars (volt). The others will just follow the lead that they have set.

Just my opinions, nothing more than that:)

Something to consider when purchasing a stock or mutal fund is to look at its past dividend payments. Some stocks and funds may pay dividend payments of anywhere form 5-20% depending on growth...this way your funds are not solely based on the market price to make you gains.
For example...I have a Vanguard Healthcare mutal fund, paid over 13% in dividends and capital gains last year, and the stock price climbed about 13%..thats 26+% growth in my investment in one year....now the price has dropped almost 13% since the start of the year...but the dividends and cap gains are put back into the account and now will grow for me again this year, even if the market stays flat. AND..I still have the 13% over what I had a year ago from the dividend payments. Dividends paid quarterly and reinvested are a great way to grow capital regardless of market swing, and the dividends buying more shares when stock prices are down are a good thing too...that much more growth when prices climb again.
When a stock quits paying dividends, then dump it and move on to the next one, regardless of whether the market is down or not.

Vanguard Mutal funds are a great way to start as well, most are no load and low fees....and I have some funds with a professional investor....don't buy what they are selling...I keep score basically and so far my own investing has outpaced the professional by almost double the %.

Something to consider when purchasing a stock or mutal fund is to look at its past dividend payments. Some stocks and funds may pay dividend payments of anywhere form 5-20% depending on growth...this way your funds are not solely based on the market price to make you gains.
For example...I have a Vanguard Healthcare mutal fund, paid over 13% in dividends and capital gains last year, and the stock price climbed about 13%..thats 26+% growth in my investment in one year....now the price has dropped almost 13% since the start of the year...but the dividends and cap gains are put back into the account and now will grow for me again this year, even if the market stays flat. AND..I still have the 13% over what I had a year ago from the dividend payments. Dividends paid quarterly and reinvested are a great way to grow capital regardless of market swing, and the dividends buying more shares when stock prices are down are a good thing too...that much more growth when prices climb again.
When a stock quits paying dividends, then dump it and move on to the next one, regardless of whether the market is down or not.

Vanguard Mutal funds are a great way to start as well, most are no load and low fees....and I have some funds with a professional investor....don't buy what they are selling...I keep score basically and so far my own investing has outpaced the professional by almost double the %.

Rob,sounds like you and I need to do some talking!

I had no idea you knew that much about investing in the market.

I have been wanting to for a while,but have no Idea where to start.

I would say this is the time to buy stock,the market probably won't dip too much farther. Then it's all up from there.

Rob,sounds like you and I need to do some talking!

I had no idea you knew that much about investing in the market.

I have been wanting to for a while,but have no Idea where to start.

I would say this is the time to buy stock,the market probably won't dip too much farther. Then it's all up from there.
No prob, the difficult part is determining what the past dividends were, when you look them up on line, they don't usually state that clearly, sometimes they list it as "yield". Pimco Global. ticker PGP pays a monthly dividend, has been anywhere from 7.5% to 10.5% APR in the past, and since its monthly, it compounds a little quicker while others are quarterly, 6 months, or yearly.
Sometimes I just invest in some that seem like they have growth potential and spread out my money alot and then come back in a a year or so and see how they performed, those that paid good dividends I move more $$ to, those that didn't and didn't grow, I get rid of.
You can usually bank on commodities paying good dividends, utilities, and gold/mining companies. Others such as energy funds had huge growth, but very little dividends. Real Estates funds are down too right now, I suspect they will continue down for a while since the market will be flooded with commerical and residential foreclosures, but in a year or so may be prime buying time..real estate hasn't paid very good dividends either the past few years. I try to stay with funds that are something that people will always need... energy, healthcare, drug companies, and then some bonds..municipal and corporate. My goal is to live primarily off investiments in say 5 or so years, then work to supplement my income doing something I like to do :)
Oh..and another good tip....invest in the same stocks Warren Buffet does...he says he buys based on stocks he thinks are good deals...such as Burlington Northern Sante Fe...he bought tons of their stock...so I bought some too....he's made billions doing it his way..so if it works for him, I can follow in his leads..just have to be ready to act fast.

Let me know...you'll start with 1 or 2 funds...and then before you know it you have 10-15 with a few $k each in them if you are good at saving money in order to open the funds to begin with...you won't start with a few $k and turn it into $100k.....you have to systematically save and put into it and it takes forever to build it up...but after several years, its not uncommon to make $15k in a year...but you can also loose that much in a year too...I've lost more than $25k just in 2 months, but made well over that last year... SO lets hope the market has hit its low point...but bank failures like Bear Sterns happening overnight is scarey....all it takes is a few more banks for that to happen too and its the great depression all over...... Speaking of which..I also invest in Reverse Convertibles..one of which was Citigroup....
The basis of a RC is that you put up usually $10k min into a company that pays you interest of say 10% to as high as 18.5%..the term is usually 3 or 6 months.... the premise is still based on stock price, and there is a "knock out price". If the stock price of the said company does not fall below the "knock out" price, which is usually 20 or 25% of the starting price...you get all of your $$ back at the end of the term, and the company pays you the agree % APR each month. If the stock price falls below the "knock out" price, then you get however many shares of the stock that $10k would have bought at the start, but they still pay you the agreed % APR for the term no matter what the stock price is...
So back to Citigroup....I put in $10k for a 6 month term paying 12.5%, the stock price knock in price was $40...the "knock out" or cushion was 20%, which would have been $32....well thei rstock has plunged to about $22 now....so at the end of the 6 month term I only get back 55% of my investiment...$5500...a $4500 loss, but it did make me $625 in interest in that 6 months..so net loss was $3875...so its not all profitable and you have to be ready to stomach that kind of loss....I had Comcast and Micron Tech do the same thing just not as big of a loss this past 6 months.