Anyone ever fool with an MSD DIS4 ???

Art,

Been talking to Steve Crisafulli...he now has his brother Rob's street TTA and is currently running the MSD DIS4 w/2-step and really likes it. He is not running alky yet but is running C16. He is not far from me and I plan to visit his place shortly to check it out along with their TTA race car. Maybe Steve will chime in.

Scott

Msd

MSD no longer makes the adapter for our cars.It makes it a plug and play system.I was talking to the tech dept and they said it has been discontinued.:(Nice to here of some new products being developed.

Kevin

I couldn't even find the MSD distributor at Summit or Jegs anymore.

Looks like alot of stuff is disappearing.

I was on the MSD website yesterday and saw they still listed the adapter there... and it showed available.

Still too much money though.

I could almost buy a crank trigger, distributor, coil and 7al for the cost of that DIS4 and Buick adapter.

On my FAST I set the WB correction to start higher than the launch RPM. So if I set the 2 step to 4000, I set my WB tracking to start at lets say 4500.

And my alky is set to ground the reduction input when on the Tbrake so it doesnt put in a lot of alky while the engine is stuttering under boost.

Sounds like Bob may have the solution for stock ecm guys :cool:
Julio: With your XFI you can run closed loop everywhere including idle and just turn it off on the 2 step
yullose: You don't need a crank trigger.

Yullose,
There are two generations of MSD DIS4s. The first gen had dip switches, the second gen had rotary switches. Everyone seems to agree that the first gen is the way to go. They are way less problematic. That's the one that I run on my my 87 Turbo T.

Ok, just to be clear...
Razor: You're using(or used) a stock type ignition setup, FAST, and the wires I didn't tie into the brake switch to get your two step to work right?:tongue:

Hartline: XFI has a feature to disable the WB correction on the two-step and use it for all the rest of your driving.(and you promise to tune it into the 9's for me...:biggrin:

Turbo Bob: You will unveil your new "I have to buy " item in what section of the board?

Thank guys for making this a real informative thread!!:cool:

The 2 step I wired into my transbrake switch not brake switch. I dont want the two step to activate when I brake at the end of the track. ;)

Yes, on mine it had the stock ignition(with MSD), 2004r with bat brake, and classic FAST/XFI

I used the MSD DIS-4 two step all last year without any problem and it worked flawlessly. I'm just a little concerned about the alky washing the cylinder walls while on the two step, so next year I was going to play with the alky controls and have the alky start later, and then increase the ramp speed to make up for it. I believe Julio (Razor) recommended trying this to a friend of mine.

I used the MSD DIS-4 two step all last year without any problem and it worked flawlessly. I'm just a little concerned about the alky washing the cylinder walls while on the two step, so next year I was going to play with the alky controls and have the alky start later, and then increase the ramp speed to make up for it. I believe Julio (Razor) recommended trying this to a friend of mine.

Dont think you'll have the problem with washdown. I mean for how long do you sit on the 2 step.. 2 seconds?

You can make the kit activate a little latter.. above the 2 step setting.. a recurve it.. but thats something you need to do at the track and see if it makes a difference.

Hartline: XFI has a feature to disable the WB correction on the two-step and use it for all the rest of your driving.(and you promise to tune it into the 9's for me...:biggrin:

Yes, it will and I will get your car running as fast as your combination will allow :tongue:

MSD DIS4 SUX. Both versions.

They are absolutely great when they work. The problem is that they work only half the time. Same box will work differently on two cars.

Cal went thru 3 or 4 of them.
I went thru 2 or 3 I want to forget.
Richie Kiebler went thru many of them..

The ones that are working, you are on borrowed time. Make sure you have your bypass plug with you!!!

Msd dis-4

I have been using the same MSD DIS-4 for over 6 years with no problems on my S2 motor with stock ignition. You need to run your power wire directly from the battery to the MSD box. MSD also sells a filter if you are experiencing any interference.