Anyone else have QA1 Front Coil-overs?

bbbad6

6 Speed TR?
Being that my car was not a Turbo 6 from the factory, I had originally planned on putting a BBC (I know, I know!) into it. I bought the QA1's for a big block and kept them for a while, and ended up ditching the chevy and going with a Turbo 6, which is not done at all yet. Anyways, I installed the Big Block coil-overs with the mindset, that I would adjust them lower and just have a stiffer ride, but looking at them installed, it sits like a monster truck. I know it has no weight on it, but its like 4" higher than the back! and they are adjusted down to the lowest QA1 recommends. I know the engine will push it down, but i'm thinking not like 6" right? I didn't see it before, because I pulled the old springs out with the motor still in.

I guess my question would be anyone that installed QA1's did you put in Small block ones, and how does your's sit with or without motor?

if you decide you don't want to stay with the qa1's, I'll trade you my Moroso trick springs for small block and CE 3-way adjustable shocks. Parts new in sept. 04. I'd be willing to throw in a couple of dollars to make it right!

In my GN I have the QA1 GM conversion up front w/ 2" belltech drop spindles and I clipped about a coil to get it to sit right.

I am considering cutting a row off. Did it still sit in the perch right, because it is tapered?

Originally posted by bbbad6
I am considering cutting a row off. Did it still sit in the perch right, because it is tapered?
Yeah its fine, but make sure you cut off at the top of the spring!

I only said that because if it was a stock stlye spring you would clip off at the bottom, Just not the case with the QA1 coil-overs. good luck.

JP87GN Which Qa1 coilovers do you have and where did you get them?How much is your car lowered in the rear?

Originally posted by miz
JP87GN Which Qa1 coilovers do you have and where did you get them?How much is your car lowered in the rear?
I have the GM coil over conversion w/bib block rated springs. I clipped about a coil off the QA1's and run 2" Belltech drop spindles up front. In the rear its Belltech 1.5" drop springs and QA1 stockerstar adj. shocks. The car rides pretty firm but thats the way I like it. I got a notice that you tried to PM me but I haven't been able to recieve PM's for over a month. Ohh, and I bought all these goods through Summit and it was at my house in 3 days.

is there a write up anywhere about this spring and shock swap? if so if someone could post it id really appreciate it,thanks

Do you think that the QA1 front coil-overs for a small block will work without having to cut the springs?

I dont get why there is talk of cutting springs on coil overs, isnt the point of a coil over that you can change spring pressure and load to change ride height?

Originally posted by spoolin86
Do you think that the QA1 front coil-overs for a small block will work without having to cut the springs?
Maybe! I almost ordered the SB set, But I called the QA1 Techsupport and he led me to believe that the SB spring rate was lighter and the BB spring rate was a liitle stiffer. Since the spring is stiffer and the wieght of a BB is not over the nose I decided to clip the springs. I was also going for a mean lowered stance and not stock.

Instead of doing all this coil hacking and spindle swaps, has anybody just bought shorter springs? What are they, 2.5" ID? You can get those in hundreds of rates and heights.

Originally posted by Turbo6inKY
Instead of doing all this coil hacking and spindle swaps, has anybody just bought shorter springs? What are they, 2.5" ID? You can get those in hundreds of rates and heights.

I believe the QA's are 2.5 on one end, and 5" on the other. It fits into the stock spring perch on the one end.

hmmm...
I bought the BB springs for the stiffness as well. after seeing most of the coil-over kits (especially import cars) I thought that there would be room to adjust ride height. The thing is when you install QA1's kit, with the collars unthreaded all the way, the springs are still under pressure to install. It took about 250lbs worth of person on the empty frame to compress the spring in order to put them in. I am guessing with a coil removed, it would be a lot better. You can't get shorter springs per say, (maybe you can) but they are tapered. They sit in the stock perch at the top and sit on the threaded collar, of the shock at the bottom.

Originally posted by bruce
I believe the QA's are 2.5 on one end, and 5" on the other. It fits into the stock spring perch on the one end.

Yea, after I looked them up, I noticed that.

Kinda poopy, really. With a choice of only two springs, I think you'd be better off with some stock Konis and being choosy with 5" ID springs from a stock car catalog. Pick a rate and cut to height.

Or you get somebody to make an upper perch so you can use normal 2.5" springs.

Originally posted by Turbo6inKY

Or you get somebody to make an upper perch so you can use normal 2.5" springs.

There's probably someone making a *pin-end* coil over shock, for the upper end. The get a set of those new lower A-Arms, and redo the lower mount to get the shock length right.