Anybody on E85 running a Champion S53C (697) Spark Plug? (E85/GN1 heads)

BEATAV8

The Engine Whisperer
First off, this is a .70" reach plug with tapered seat, fits Champion GN1 aluminum heads.

This is a very cold plug, good for an alcohol burner and maybe for E85 but would probably foul very quickly on gas.

Searched the part number here but no results.... si figured I would have to ask.

Anybody using it or try it?

Kind of hard to find too....

NGK 5238's with GN1's here and have had good luck with them but may try the champion plugs next. What are you using now?

Using autolite AR472 now. non projected tip with cutback strap. tapered seat. Coldest non projected autolite I could find. It crosses to a NGK B9EFS.

The AR472 is working much better than autolite 103's or NGK TR6.

I have the Champion S53C plugs on hand now. They are 2 steps colder than AR472. Will try them soon.

If you plan on just using e-85, and not 93 to add, go as cold as you can ! You might blow a dyno session. Just a thought.

What are you gapping your Autolite's at? I'm in the middle of converting to E85 and will be experimenting with different plugs suggested here...

.025"

The Champion plugs don't seem to be running any better or worse than the Autolites.

I'm at .025 also on the NGK's. What's the price on the autolites and champions?

NGK's were approx $3.30 - ish a plug.

the autolites were 3 or 4 bucks each, in stock at advance auto. the champions are harder to find. Had to order those from rock auto and pay $16 for drop shipping direct from champion.

I got my autolites from Jegs for 3.99...

Where do you get E115 from?

Do you mean 115octane E85? There really isn't any tested 115 octane E85 that I've seen from any company. There are 105,110, and 112 octane-rated E85 fuels available.

E115 ??? more then 100% ;)

Lets not get off topic but i could still use some E98 shipped to AZ

E115 ??? more then 100% ;)

Lets not get off topic but i could still use some E98 shipped to AZ

I know, I need to get on that..stupid work/cars taking up time!

Back to topic: Has anyone done back-to-back runs with changing just the plug in their cars and seeing what the change has been? What gapping is everyone using?

I'm still messing around, just taking data and trying to find the best plug for my combo and get it all sorted out. Suspecting that my stock (original) ignition could stand to be upgraded though....

Most recent plug on my list is an NGK R5724-10. It's a projected tip type.

I've been running gaps in the .025 to .028 range.

Have you maybe tried calling Larry Prebis or Reid at Sound Performance to help you with this quick question? Hit them up ! They did a car with aluminum GN-1 heads! I dunno.

Autolite AR474 is looking very good so far. Nice light tan color. No speckling.

The AR472's were too cold. The Champion S53C also too cold.