Any tips turbocharging a chevy V8

84cutlass383

hi guys new to the site, i knw its not a buick but i heard this is the place to get sum info on turbocharging a chevy V8. I have a 84 cutlass with a 383 stroker 9.9.1 compression ratio, built 2004r from bowtie overdrives and a 8.5 rearend from a 84 hurst/olds so the car is ready for the power. my question is what kits do u guys recommened or company. the do's and dont's.

There aren't a whole lot of kits for an entire set-up. Most will require a good deal of fabrication. Stainless works has a nice set of headers. If you want to do it as cheap as possible a set of stock manifolds or shorty headers will support enough power to destroy that 200r4.

lol at "destory that 200r4" it better hold up for the money i paid for it lol. what do u think about the bankspower set up? been reading alot on this upgrade and im learning its not easy, cheap, and you better know what ur doing....if not say goodbye to ur engine...

How much power your looking for will be what determines which way you go. The Banks kit looks like a nice complete kit and I'm sure it's not cheap.

How much power do you want to make? With a stock block 383 your gonna be limited to about 700-800 safely depending on what rotating assembly you have. The compression ratio is fine. Yes it will need someone tuning it who is capable of keeping the parts inside the motor:)

What are you plans with the car once done? What's inside the motor? I had a 383 in my nova non turbo putting out 500, not too hard to make decent power out of them. Single or twin turbos? Agreed that there is not many complete kits out there then when you get it probably won't fit your car so better off making your own to fit like you want. Shorty headers are cheap to get an could easily be done with them. Then have to figure out if going efi and if not have to get the blow through carb for it.

I have a vintage Shelby Spearco small block "rams horn" style turbo manifold. This will allow for a 4 bolt turbo to be mounted to the pass side of the engine. There would be some fab involved, as the cross over is where the wastegate was mounted, or get a 4 to 3 bolt adapter and use an internally wastegated buick unit. I wouldnt mind selling this as I have most of the original parts for the complete kit but im missing enough to part it out. however it was a draw thru kit so you wouldnt want any of that extra stuff. but if you doo happen to have a passion for fusteration, i have several complete draw thru kits for a SBC.

Check out www.wrenchrat.com if your thinking of going twins . nice kit....you can buy just the headers if need be .there is actually a video of a 383 sbc in a chevelle with the kit on it .:) im in the middle of buiding a 400 cu/in sbc with a wrenchrat setup . if you have any questions i would be more than happy to answer them .