any residential HVAC people here?

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
I have an older Lennox central air unit. As best as I can determine, the bearing in the Emerson electric fan motor in the outdoor unit is going bad because it is making a terrible noise and there is shaft play vertically. It is a 1/4 hp motor running at 1075 rpm, part no p-8-11078. I don't want to call an a/c repairman on a Saturday because I know they will come out and diagnose it the same as I have, charge me a large service fee and then retail for a replacement motor they will probably have to order anyway. It looks easy enough to replace to me, except getting the fan off the old motor.

Anyway, could anyone recommend a place to get one online or should I take it to an electric motor repair place to see if the sleeve bearing can be replaced?

Thanks, guys. I see there is a Grainger outlet in my town, so I hope they are open!

If it goes completely out before you can get a new one, here's a trick to keep you cool for a day or so. Mine compressor fan went out last weekend. AC guy couldn't get another one until Monday. 99 degrees. :mad:

Disconnect power, remove old fan, wiring & motor. Reconnect power. Position a hose (with a brick to hold in place) to run water directly onto the compressor pump. The water stream doesn't need to be over pencil width. It just needs to be enough to keep it from over heating and shutting off.

Run another hose with a nozzle that has a 'misting' setting. Zip tie it open and position it so it mists the cooling fins from the inside. It's gotta be enough water volume to remove heat but doesn't take a whole lot.

I did this and my house went from 88 to 73. It ran fine all night.

Grainger did have the right motor in stock for $100 and $6 for the capacitor. Pretty plug and play. Thanks for the tips. I got lucky with a grainger outlet in town. I could have made it if I had to order it since the bearing was just really noisy for the first five minutes of the day. It would keep quiet as long as the a/c cycled on regularly. Early in the morning was another story. I am sure the neighbors are happy now.