Any 2015+ Dodge Durango R/T owners in here?

BuickMike

Money pit
If so, let me know the goods / bads. I am missing having a midsize SUV, but have had a couple in the past and like a little of each. I miss the sportyness (handling) and comfortable seats in my old Trailblazer SS, but I miss the legroom and 3rd row of the Flex. I miss the Ecoboost too, but have one in my truck. I drove an SXT Durango rental and liked it, but would need an R/T. I wish they made them in SRT.

Anyway, who has one?

No Hellcat for the Durango...maybe the Grand Cherokee. There are rumors of an SRT Durango though, but no commitment. I drove one today. I also drove an Explorer Sport. The Explorer is nicer for sure, but the rear row is cramped and less cargo space. The Explorer is also a bit more. Hmmm......

I bought a 2015 R/T White with the blacktop package. Basically the only way to get a V8 is the RT or Citadel. There are rumors that they will get rid of the Durango and consolidate the SUV line into Jeep and rename it a Cherokee Chief or something like that. I still have my 2002 Durango with the 5.9 and not an R/T. The only thing that sucks about both is the gas millage. My 2015 is much better but still crappy compared to GM or Ford I'm sure.
AG.
Durango RT.JPG

My wife has a 2015 Durango R/T.
We currently have about 10k miles on it. Bought it new. Best 3 row suv on the market in my opinion. I never liked the explorer overall even though the 3.5 ecoboost in the sport model would smoke a Durango. I wanted a v8 RWD platform so that leaves out most options. We also had a 2013 Durango V8 that was traded in on the current 2015. Lots of nice upgrades over the 2013. I love the LCD gauge cluster, headlamps, 8in radio screen etc. My favorite change to the 2014+ Durango is the ZF 8spd transmission. Night and day better transmission. Excellent gear ratios. Even with the lowest output Hemi Dodge makes (360hp) because of the excellent transmission it feels more powerful. Paddle shifters are nice also using the same steering wheel design as the Hellcat. It has a solid ride, and cruises 85mph on the freeway all day like nothing. Pulls hard to fuel cut off around 120mph, would keep pulling to 140 easy.

The bad....
fuel economy did not improve with the 8spd trans like we had hoped. All city we get 14-15 mpg. Got 21 on a road trip once.
Steering has to much assist at freeway speeds.
I am dissapointed in the R/T package overall, honestly its not much different from a non R/T. I took it on a drive in northern Arizona Salt river canyon area. . Way to much body roll and lots of understeer when pushing it hard. I drive my cars harder than most, so I demand more. The average buyer would be happy with it.
Stock tires are junk when pushed hard.
I think for a R/T badge they should have tightened the suspension up closer to an SRT product and offered at least the truck 6.4 engine

Overall, Its the best Suv in its class, plus its "got a Hemi"

durango.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. Are you in AZ? I live out in Queen Creek. I like the Durango the best for seating position, interior room, and cargo space. The performance was disappointing though when I test drove it. I expected the Ecoboost to be faster, but didn't expect how sloppy the Durango was going to be handling wise. The braking was poor too, but that part can be fixed with Jeep SRT brakes / wheels. The Explorer Sport was cramped for 3rd row and cargo, but fit / finish, power, handling, and braking were much better. The handling on the Explorer was the biggest surprise. My old Flex handled poorly, so I didn't expect much from the Explorer.

At the end of the day, neither dealer offered me anything that compelled me to buy the '16 models still on the lot, so I'm going to hold off 6 months and go looking again. By that time I will be able to pay cash and maybe some new things will be out.

in tucson....I was not impressed with the performance during my first test drive either. After some breakin and seat time I am much more impressed with it for what it is. I really enjoy using the paddle shifters. I have done some simple mods which really improve the driveability and throttle response which does make it much more enjoyable to drive.