Aluminum Radiator for a GN

There is a 1-row aluminum core radiator identical to the F-body that has an engine oil cooler built-in to the DRIVERS side (you'll need longer hoses):

ACDelco 20903 $202 carparts.com
GM 52477477 $181 gmpartsdirect.com
Spectra-Premium CU1272 $227 rockauto.com
Visteon 9218

Application is 89 Buick Century with 2.8L and engine oil cooler or 1985 Century w/ diesel.

Attachments

• AC_Delco_20903.gif
    AC_Delco_20903.gif
    87.7 KB · Views: 557
I'm sold. I'm going with the one listed above and just get Aeroquip to fab up some longer lines to reach the driver's side and be done with the m'fer. One other stupid question:

Do I just use the same radiator cap (15psi) off of my stock rad. or buy a new one?

87geeinn said:
I'm sold. I'm going with the one listed above and just get Aeroquip to fab up some longer lines to reach the driver's side and be done with the m'fer. One other stupid question:

Do I just use the same radiator cap (15psi) off of my stock rad. or buy a new one?

Just my opinion, but I think you may run into problems routing those lines from one side to the other. By the time you get done, you'll have spent $300 between the rad and longer lines. You can do it for half that with an F-body and external oil cooler. ;)

O.K. Point taken. However, what do I do with two coolers (tranny and oil) when I jam a RJC megacooler up in front of the radiator where my tranny cooler currently is?

Who makes an aluminum radiator with the transmission and oil coolers for our GN's? Be Cool has one for the GN but it only has the trans cooler.

Any help would be appreciated......( I don't want a F-body radiator)

Thanks guys,

Woody
With a little info from you gents here I hope to accomplish this task ...need some info on what size the engine oil cooler fittings are going to the passenger side tank engine oil cooler ...I can only guess 5/16 inverted flair as I don’t have a original rad .. going out the front side of the rad ...from what I have seen at some car shows this is the standard set up on the turbo Regal ... unless there were some changes on early years .

I have lived at the Team Chevelle Forum for the last 5 yrs in the heating and cooling section there for earlier model year cars.
now that I have bought a g-body .. im looking at other forums ...and my there a lot to keep up with ...working on a 82 camino now .

after doing a search on ebay and a few places it seems hard to find the turbo style rad ... I have the components to build the regal rads .. but want to do one in the turbo style with engine oil cooler .. so I guess I need input from you guys here .

lets get er done .

Don
Alumitech Reproductions

I hope this pic came out .
may give a better idea of what im talking about
Don

Attachments

• 28.25-8.5-1.5-45-fc.jpg
    28.25-8.5-1.5-45-fc.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 428
You obviously haven't looked hard enough. Plenty of us paid advertisers on the board already sell them.:rolleyes:

You obviously haven't looked hard enough. Plenty of us paid advertisers on the board already sell them.:rolleyes:

Not here to step on any toes .. its hard sometimes to find things on the net as to what you type in .

I went to your web site and saw your radiators .. question .. are you building them or is a out side sourse supplying .

if your interested I may be willing to work out a w/d program with you .

if you note the quality and the fact that there oem style this may be a plus for your customers .

feel free to contact me if interested .

NPD and Ecklers carry out product line also .

Don

Welcome we never have too many good choices! I like the aluminum rads that look like stockers!

thanks Steve
theres a nitch for everybody .. some like box form rads .. some like oem style press formed tanks .. you just proved it .

Alumitech Reproductions
Don

2 yrs against manufacture defects and workmanship
not sure I can list a price here so I listed one as a sale on ebay .

Don
Ok once again guys after reading more post .. back to the main question

1 what size fittings for the engine oil cooler ???? .. going to look for a Aluminum plate style cooler to put in the tank ...I have seen that it faces the engine side .

2 ...is it 12.0 on center or 8.5 engine oil cooler ?

from what i read here the trans cooler will point the front side of the core support with 5/16 inverted flare fittings

want to get one of these built so theres a correct fit application that has both coolers in it for those that want that .

ps not trying to sell it here .. just want to build it right with the right info ... already been spanked here .. say im trying to sell product ... i just see a need to build things correctly rather then cobble up the fine works of art .

Don

The proper oil cooler uses 1/2" flared pipe fittings, with GM saginaw O ring fittings I believe. Thread and pitch should be available using the search feature.

The front transmission cooler is 1/8" NPT not flared pipe, there were right angled brass adapters screwed into that with the flared pipe connectors into them to get around the sharp corner out to the front.

You can't easily make the thing work with flared pipe connectors in the front, almost impossible without soldering up brass adapters etc. The bend would be too sharp to fit the flared nut in there, the brass NPT adapter fits much flatter in an area that has no room to work with.

Most aftermarket radiators had the wrong flared connectors in them. :mad:

If you make one, make it right direct bolt in. :cool:

The proper oil cooler uses 1/2" flared pipe fittings, with GM saginaw O ring fittings I believe. Thread and pitch should be available using the search feature.

The front transmission cooler is 1/8" NPT not flared pipe, there were right angled brass adapters screwed into that with the flared pipe connectors into them to get around the sharp corner out to the front.

You can't easily make the thing work with flared pipe connectors in the front, almost impossible without soldering up brass adapters etc. The bend would be too sharp to fit the flared nut in there, the brass NPT adapter fits much flatter in an area that has no room to work with.

Most aftermarket radiators had the wrong flared connectors in them. :mad:

If you make one, make it right direct bolt in. :cool:

OK..Thanks
looks like to do things right im going to want a original leaky rad from somebody who no longer needs it .. photos of this side of a original where the trans lines go would be great if theres any on the forum somebody could direct me to a link ... or post here .

my premise is to correct fit oem style rads that simply drop in .. American made componants .. to keep america working and support the usa economy ..so many rads are flooding the market from overseas .. dont fit the car and arent correct in looks fit form or function .

thanks for the support guys .
Don

Here's a few pictures of some of my lawn sculptures. :p

1/8" NPT fitting for the tranny line adapter close up.

oneeigthnpttransfittinginrad.jpg

Oil cooler line fitting near lower radiator hose end.

onehalfinchflareoilcoolerradfitting.jpg

Oil cooler line end that goes into radiator with Saginaw fitting and O ring, straight threads 1/2" flared tube, could be inverted flare depending upon your perspective, forget the exact name. :p

oilcoolerhoseradfittingendwithoring.jpg

oilcoolerhoseradfittingendwithOr-2.jpg

Right angle NPT to 5/15" flared adapter and one of two short lines that goes around front and into a 5/16" factory coupler to the long tranny lines.

closeuprightangletransfittingandtub.jpg

closeuprightangletransfittingadapte.jpg

Front 1/2" flared O ringed oil cooler socket for the Saginaw fitting closer up, and the 5/16" short line from the transmission cooler coming around.

closeupoilcoolerandtranstube.jpg

IF you could find some squatty RIGHT ANGLE 5/16" male to female adapters you could use 5/16" tube fittings in the transmission cooler side, but I've never seen them available and you would have to supply them of course with each radiator, that's why they used 1/8" NPT and the right angle adapters to 5/16" tube are easy to find and use.

You should get your hands on a VERIFIED original stock radiator for all the dimensions and locations etc.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the pics
Wish there was somebody near by that had one in the car so I could see where the trans lines come threw the core support .

What rad did you switch to .. and how did you plumb the new stuff .
Don