Alternator won't charge or supply power, replaced, etc.

Vigor 87GN

A few months ago, the car was dying after a drive, barely got it home in time before it died (volt light popped on). It would start after hooking up a battery tender to it, but seemed as though the alternator was never initiating any charge on the battery. At the same time, anything I had hooked up to the back of the alternator (hot wire fuel pump kit, etc) wouldn't power up. The car started fine by doing a direct connect and bypassing the hotwire kit (effectively reverting back to original).

I've performed the following:

1. Replaced alternator with good working unit
2. Replaced battery with good working unit
3. Verified the volt light comes on with the key set to 'on' with the engine off.
4. Volt light disappeared once car started (with new battery).
5. Drove car 20 minutes, came back. shut car off.
6. Started car, volt light remains on with the engine on now(in park), although slightly dim.
7. Checked voltage via scanmaster BAT reading sitting 9.8 - 11.2
8. Checked voltage via multimeter tool with car engine started. Reading 11.73
9. Removed caspers volt booster, performed previous steps, same result.
10. Attempted to check alternator with multimeter tool with engine on. Not sure if getting accurate reading, jumped around a bit, then settled around 4.5.

Checked some of the basics as well, ensured connections were tight, checked grounds as best as possible etc.

Kind of not sure where to go next, any ideas would be appreciated.

Did you check voltage coming out of the alternator?engine running.also how's your belt tight?tentioner ?

Wire from back of alternator to battery good?
Runs down motor along front of oil pan to battery.I hear they go bad.

Wire from back of alternator to battery good?
Runs down motor along front of oil pan to battery.I hear they go bad.

Ahhh sometimes it's the things we overlook, one of the last things I expected but think this is the root cause. Just went out and noticed the cable near the battery terminal is corroded and down to only a few strands of copper.

Attachments

• IMG_4726.JPG
    IMG_4726.JPG
    645.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
And.... fixed, thanks for the help.

Removed the corroded cable sections, all is working well again. I'll replace the cable tomorrow for a permanent fix.

greeneyegi, appreciate it!