Airconditioning question

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
My 87 GN has had its airconditioning system converted to the new stuff. I was going for a 4-hour drive home this Sunday and the weather was in the 80's with full sun.

When I started out things were nice and cold. By the half way point things were comfortable. By the end of the trip the car was getting warm inside. Still cooler than outside but not nearly as cold as when I started home.

I don't think the air coming out of the vents was any less cool but with all the black paint the car just heats up more than the AC can cool it down.

I popped the trunk when I got home and it must have been 150 in there. My leather dufflebag was actually warm/hot to the touch.

I waited for the car to cool down in the shade for an hour and the AC was again nice and cold so I didn't leak any on the way home.

I guess the AC is working but here is my question (finally). Can I put in another can of AC juice or if it is cold enough when the car is cold will I overpressureize the system and risk a leak?

I've heard many different people say that is the problem with the conversion. The old system is not able to handle the less efficient 134. It works, just not as good.:(

The hotter the radiator runs, the worse the problem becomes..the stock condensor is not really large enuf to handle the excess heat generated by the R134A.

OK. I have similar problems. on a 70 degree day, the air coming out of the vents is quite chilly, feels nice. since my switch only works on high, it cools better when i turn it off, and turn it back on every few seconds. hehe. but back to the point. on a 80 to 90 degree day or warmer, the air coming out is not that cool. doesnt cool down the interior much and takes a while to have much affect. and I still use R12. I have about 20 cans of the stuff in the garage, and on a 70 degree day, the high pressure side was reading 140 psi. should i add a can of stuff, or part of a can? my engine coolant temps skyrocket to about 180 when i turn on the air conditioning and im moving on a 80 degree day. usually it runs at around 160 to 165.
thanks

I agree with Steve. My problem was fixed just recently when I installed the daul fan set up from Ramchargers. After I installed the fans I tested the car at idle with the AC on and when the thermostat opened I felt alot more HOT air. The upgrade made my car temp. run cooler and AC colder also.

I think that the Thermal Expansion Valve (TXV) needs to be changed when you convert to 134. A new dryer is a good idea too!

BB