Air temp Sensor flashing hot on scanmaster

SickNasty

first start on new build and when car was up to temp I noticed the air temp sensor flashing hot. not sure where its located now or what wires go to it. any help would be appreciated. also would that make the car ide rough?

Scanmaster flashing hot on ATS is air temp over 150 degrees and yes sucking in 150+ degree hot air does not do much for idle or performance. The MAT sensor (2 wire) is behind the MAF sensor on the air intake. If you live in the hot southern states a cold air kit will help cut temps by 50 degrees. If your up north I would not worry about it since it's only hot in summer.

the car does have a cold air kit but im not sure where the sensor is located. what color are the wires going to it?

My car is the shop but if I remember correctly its black and brown. If you have a cold air kit (filter behind the front bumper) there is no way it should be 150+ degrees unless the sensor is bad. Maybe if you live in death valley :eek:! Do you have any SES codes present like 25 (high air temp) on the scanmaster (nal is where it will be).

and you know us hillbillies up north like to drive our cars in the snow too so we don't see that HOT on the scanmaster that much lol! Nothing like 100* temps, humidity so high the windows in the house sweat, and the only breeze is from a fart from the neighbor.

As long as the car is moving temps are usually close to ambient. I got a warm air intake. Doesn't seem to hurt much since gbodies do see airflow under the hood. GTP's and fbody cars, I wouldn't attempt it.

as soon as I started the car the scanmaster reads hot for ATS. I just caught this. I bet its not even hooked up. I didn't see any codes on the scanmaster. but for some reason I still cant find the temp sensor. the only thing that would be anywhere near the stock airbox location had a black and tan wire going into sensor hooked to a black tube. not sure what that is. the wiring has been messed with. anybody have a pic of where it comes off the wiring harness so I can get an idea?

Do you have the stock airbox on the car? If it is the sensor will be in the elbow that connects to the top on the air box.

I was seeing the same thing on the scanmaster while the car was idling a few days ago. But figured it wasn't a big deal since the engine temp was fine. I live in pa (pretty hot summers) and have an aftermarket intake.

ive looked everywhere and still cant find mine. any pics of where it comes off the wiring harness? the only thing I can find that's a black and tan wire going to a sensor is hooked into a black plastic tube. not sure what this is.

I unplugged this sensor and my ATS went from 124 down to 71. and under nal code 23 was there.
0730132246.jpg

no its molded plastic i have no idea what it is. anybody have a clue? i guess that's the ATS wire plugged into it. right?

Nasty I hate to do this to you but where does that plastic tube go? It's something added to the car and not normal. Most MAT sensors are in the neck of the filter or very close to the air filter in the piping on most aftermarket intakes. Code 23 is MAT low. We need some more pics of the air intake on the car to figure out what's up here to help you.

I unplugged this sensor and my ATS went from 124 down to 71. and under nal code 23 was there.View attachment 196297
It has 3 wires with yellow, brown and black correct? It's not the stock MAT sensor which only has 2 wires. Some things previous owners have done to these cars is mindboggling at times trying figure out what they did and why!

the plastic tube goes under the motor and over to the map sensor..and there was another splice for the tps. running with it..looks like this. but i figured out one side hooks to the tps and the other goes to the harness and back to the 3 bar map giving it 5v from what ive read. so this piece is hooked up now.
0730132247.jpg

Garage is shut down for the night. i will get a better pic of the intake tomorrow.. had this pic already if u can see it. its just a pipe going from the turbo over to the maf and then the filter. there is no place for ETS that anyone has added.
engine.jpg