Air dam cold air inlet

tsm3089

Anyone have pics of a bought or fabricated air dam inlet. Will be using the one piece air dam.

Here is a photo of the air dam inlet of my Kenne Bell one piece air dam.

IMG_2524.JPG

When I used a ducted inlet I ran the duct through the radiator support and then into behind the grill opening.

Pretty sure that big ole grille will have access to more air than the small air dam.

(that and I busted my hard 'glass ducted dam turning around on and interstate median :) )

Here is a photo of the air dam inlet of my Kenne Bell one piece air dam.

View attachment 302530

Just for reference, the hole size is 11in wide and 2 1/8in tall towards the center of the car and 2 1/4in at the outside. With an area over 24 sq/in., its over 150% larger than the 5in. hose it connects to at 15.7 sq/in. It looks like the bottom of the bumper tapers up as it goes out towards the side of the car.

Out of curiosity, can you send a pic of the piping from an engine compartment view.

I wasn't able to access site until now. I can post some photos tomorrow night.

I know this is an old school system and it is a restriction at some point. I don't know if it's a restriction at 12 O's, 11 O's or ??
When I faxed Kenne Bell years ago about the filter specs, they said there filter flowed 884 cfm.
It would be fun to hear where others have found it to be a restriction.

What kit are you using for the CAI? I liked the old Pete Tomka I think it was with the all black flexible tubing but it is no longer made

I was able to get some photos this morning.

View attachment 302710

View attachment 302711

5in. flex hose to 4in. filter w/ 85mm maf and 3.5in. maf pipe.
Hopefully a little improvement over original.

That's quite a good idea....I have the same system on my '87 GN, but all stock Kenne Bell.....I really like your improvement idea here......I think I'll go your route with this idea.....thanks!

Any improvement at all from the stock Kenne Bell ram air system noted?

Bruce '87 Grand National

I wasn't able to access site until now. I can post some photos tomorrow night.

I know this is an old school system and it is a restriction at some point. I don't know if it's a restriction at 12 O's, 11 O's or ??
When I faxed Kenne Bell years ago about the filter specs, they said there filter flowed 884 cfm.
It would be fun to hear where others have found it to be a restriction.
Ran one into the 11s on a stocker combo with alky injection.it looks real nice on the car but added a lot of weight on the front of the car.

If you go the route I did, look for a maf pipe that is tipped down a little on the filter end (maybe GN1).
I bought one from Full Throttle but the bends are in line so I cut it in half (between the bends) and rotated the filter end clockwise 1/2in. (Looking at the filter end).
I cut 1 1/4in. off the turbo end as well to work with the TA49 inlet bell.
I knew I was going to do this when I bought it.

^That's why I made my pipes articulate in the middle. I got tired of having to choose between interference with the alternator or my filter rubbing the A/C lines.

^That's why I made my pipes articulate in the middle. I got tired of having to choose between interference with the alternator or my filter rubbing the A/C lines.

I was sooo close to getting your system Earl, but decided I was willing to do the modifications to make the one piece maf pipe work.
The 3in. maf pipe I removed I made from mandrel exhaust bends welded together, so I knew what needed to happen.