Advice please

OneQuikSix

I think I am ready to take my build to the next level and begin a stage project. My goal is to run a whole lot of 10sec quarter mile passes eventually getting into the 10.00-9.90 range in a full weight street car with A/C. I'm looking for a foundation I can grow into over time so I'm thinking an off center build would make the most sense. This would allow me to buy a relatively inexpensive forged rotating assembly to go the distance and start out with my current heads and cam combination. If I make the jump now, I could sell my current factory shortblock while it still in good shape. Any thoughts? I really don't want to start a build that will take me ten years to finish before I can drive the car. I would rather do it in stages maybe every season. Does this sound crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been considering a TA block. I just have so many things to figure out option-wise like on/off center, oiling, etc...all for a street car I can drive to the track.

Chris, see signature...why aren't you already running deep into the times you're seeking? Probably easier with one step up in turbo, but looks like your combo is already well suited.

I'm using an off center 4.1 Stage-1. I had the same way of thinking when I had my long block built. It made things easy for me because I didn't have to wait till it got back from RPE to begin my fabrication for twins. I instead used a broken 109 block as my mock-up and when the motor was done it was a simple swap over on all things external.

Also, I could dress the motor in stock configuration as well. Use an off-the-shelf intake, heads, headers, fuel rails, pulley configuration, valve covers, oil pan, and so on.

If you have a bad-ass motor built using a super strong bottom end, you may be able to accessorize your combo in steps to avoid the huge hemorrhage of cash right from the beginning.

For my combo....The TA block was not an option. It was not available yet and still in it's developmental stage. If I knew this twin configuration was going to have so much potential I may have done it differently. But for a guy keeping it streetable, and planning to not change his mind, any stage motor will do. That is, if it's machined into 4 bolt mains and 14 bolt head configuration.

Chris, see signature...why aren't you already running deep into the times you're seeking? Probably easier with one step up in turbo, but looks like your combo is already well suited.
That's just it. I know I have the parts to run mid tens probably. That was my original goal for this year. A step up in turbo would probably net me a few more tenths. The question is how many times will the block take it? I just don't know if I should push the stock block so hard and risk damage. Or, does it make more sense to sell the short block I have to offset some of the cost of an off-center stage or TA motor?

I forgot to mention, the current engine is a spare. I have the original engine that came in the car on a stand.

I'm using an off center 4.1 Stage-1. I had the same way of thinking when I had my long block built. It made things easy for me because I didn't have to wait till it got back from RPE to begin my fabrication for twins. I instead used a broken 109 block as my mock-up and when the motor was done it was a simple swap over on all things external.

Also, I could dress the motor in stock configuration as well. Use an off-the-shelf intake, heads, headers, fuel rails, pulley configuration, valve covers, oil pan, and so on.

If you have a bad-ass motor built using a super strong bottom end, you may be able to accessorize your combo in steps to avoid the huge hemorrhage of cash right from the beginning.

For my combo....The TA block was not an option. It was not available yet and still in it's developmental stage. If I knew this twin configuration was going to have so much potential I may have done it differently. But for a guy keeping it streetable, and planning to not change his mind, any stage motor will do. That is, if it's machined into 4 bolt mains and 14 bolt head configuration.
Not only would this strategy help reduce the hemorrhage of cash, it would also give me time (Seat time) to really learn how to tune and drive a low 10 second car. I also realize the car is not ready to run low 10 seconds. Still need lots of safety stuff too.

I've been considering a TA block. I just have so many things to figure out option-wise like on/off center, oiling, etc...all for a street car I can drive to the track.

I had a TA aluminum stroker built for me. They're $$$$.... There are some great points here: Should you do it all at once and get it over with? Do it in stages? Swap parts, or go with a complete build? Make some modifications to your existing application? All great questions and worthy of plenty of thought. My advice is; figure out what you want before you pull the trigger! Low 10's high 9's sounds great now but what about a year or two from now? Will it be low 9's high 8's? Eticket, makes a great point. If you're only looking for another 1/2 second then make some mods to your current application. Makes sense to me! I was kinda in the same position you're in now. I rebuilt the top half of my stock motor, then decided I wanted a TA stroker. Bad financial move.... When I did it I was thinking low 10's but really wanted low 9's.... Should've put more thought into it and just did the the TA motor from the start. IMO and this is what I did, I had a TA motor built and then sold my complete motor. (whom is now a friend of mine) Didn't use any original parts. (because I wanted to sell the motor complete) He now has a 600+ hp motor that he got for half the cost. By no means am I an expert, not at all, (can barely change the oil in my neon) but there are a lot of smart people on this board and several excellent builders that will/can guide you in the right direction. Good luck.

You make some good points too. Because this is a spare engine as I mentioned, I could build it for low tens. If I decided I wanted to go faster in the future, I could sell the entire engine.

One thing that you have to remember with any parts for the Buick is that a lot of this stuff is produced in short or limited runs. This is also a key buying point when you tell the wife that you sort of have to get the package as a whole because if they quit making it, it might be years down the road before they make it again. I live 2.5 hrs. away from the old ATR location in SC. I took for granted that I was going to keep looking in a catalog that kept getting bigger each year and go down there and drop $$$$ and get my exhaust, headers and tons of other stuff for a ten second recipe, guess what ,they closed the doors. Who had the best custom exhaust, down pipes, waste gates and headers in one location, no one that I can remember. It did spawn new options and business ops for many tho. If you put your hands on an off center TA block, your inner self or engine builder won't let you half step the job, your conscience won't let you ruin the masterpiece. You will definitely op for the strongest bottom end that can be had. Billet rods and crank and never think about those inferior parts again, it will take you as fast as you ever want to go.

PS , you can make a more readily available on center work also. Happy planning.

I know exactly what you mean about the limited run of parts. I'm sort of motivated by this more than anything else at this point. Maybe pick up a block and good set of heads in the near future even if it means driving my car the way it is for quite a while longer. Then, as time and money permit, build a serious motor.