Advantage of driving a CLUNKER!

Little6pack

Clunkers, are like old dogs & have their advantages.

For one, you don't have to wash clunkers. If you own a nice car and never wash it, people think you're a slob. If you own a beast like mine and don't wash it, no one can tell the difference. Rust looks an awful lot like dirt from a distance.

Also, when you own a new car, you worry about every little thing. Asphalt patch, for instance.

Where I live our roads consist mostly of asphalt patch these days, the original roads having freeze-thawed away years ago. When workers fill holes with the stuff, they don't tamp it down. That's too much trouble. They let cars do the tamping, so naturally the tar sprays up and sticks to everything look at it as free spackling.

When you drive a clunker, nothing bothers you -- patch, potholes, mall parking lots, rock dings, hail, drivers with new cars stay away from you. Anything that happens merely adds character.

In my clunker I can thumb my nose at jerk drivers. Take, for instance, the guy who races past hundreds of cars lined up to squeeze through a construction zone then tries to shoulder his way in ahead of you.

If you own a nice car -- one that's equal to or better than his vehicle -- you have to let him in or risk damage. If you own a car like mine, you have the advantage. You can let him in if you want, or you can ignore him and let him wait.

I usually choose the latter. I have the crummiest vehicle. If he tries to shoulder his way in, he knows he's the one who's going to regret it most.

What's he gonna, scrape my paint, dent my fender?

Can anyone else add to this list?

It's even better when you own an 11 second clunker. :cool:

Kill them in the straights and lead them into the corners as slow as you want to go. ;)

Very rarely do people get to cut in front of me unless I let them in. :cool:

My best friend gave me a 1998 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x4 with 250k miles.

He is Asian and spent over 14k maintaining it over the years. Its actually a pretty nice vehicle. I started driving it to test its reliability because I was to use it for traveling to and fro to NC.

I'm driving it daily now. It rides so good compared to my lowered Escalade. I can park it anywhere, drive through big mud puddles, take the dogs with me everywhere, haul stuff, tow stuff, cram a bunch of people in there without a care of spilling drinks.

Its nice to not have to worry about anything while driving. Now the TR is another story....:rolleyes:

It's even better when you own an 11 second clunker. :cool:

Kill them in the straights and lead them into the corners as slow as you want to go. ;)

Very rarely do people get to cut in front of me unless I let them in. :cool:

And to think I was the only one that did that. Is it wrong when you can play a game to get the ahole driver as many cars back a possible? My wife gets mad, they try and pass, I just make it a little too hard for them to pass on the right because of the slower car they are approaching on the right. Make sure you go just slow enough that they can't pass on the right but, you allow traffic behind you to keep up, making the ahole driver wait several cars before they can catch up. Although, people may begin to wonder who the ahole really is.

I totally agree. I drive my 91 S10 all the time and it now has fenders and doors off an 87 S10 Tahoe (3 different colors now) since mine got hit on Nov 16 of 08. People give me looks like it is bringing down the value of their cars at the stoplights. Oh well. Plus, it acts as birth control for me. No woman will give a second look when I drive it. :D The GN is a different story though. ;)

driving a clunker

my daily is a 95 isuzu pickup that people wouldn't look twice at. i'm looking for the sticker that says my other car can beat your car.

I just make it a little too hard for them to pass on the right because of the slower car they are approaching on the right. Make sure you go just slow enough that they can't pass on the right but, you allow traffic behind you to keep up, making the ahole driver wait several cars before they can catch up. Although, people may begin to wonder who the ahole really is.

Funny to see that I'm not the only one doing this! The key is to time it just right so that you let off the gas as the gap between the car infront of them closes. That way the traffic behind you has a chance to run up on you to prevent them from getting in.

kirban 2 cents worth

If you own a "clunker" theft is not much of a worry.

I see you reside in New England where salt and rust go hand in hand in the winter making a "clunker" a desireable choice.

Hopefully you enjoy your nice car during the summer sunny days....

I have 2 winter cars I use both high mileage examples and are comfortable and not high on the worry scale. I would not classify them as clunkers but "winter rides" One was $3500 other was $4500. Our state has pretty tough inspection laws meaning its tough to drive much cheaper cars and get them to pass inspection.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned a few turbo cars.....

I have an 89 olds 88 royale and it's got 200k + on it. It runs fine and I have no problem with it. It's my "truck" for now and the 3/4 ton isn't driven because of gas mileage. I have no problem with "clunkers" and dirve one every day.

My Sentra is the best I could do for a clunker. 32,000 miles in five months! 99% of it was with a $.58 mileage reimbursement from my employer. The car paid for itself the first month I owned it and have only put oil and gas in it since. It has that boys in the hood, punk look to it. Most people wonder if it's insured.

I suppose my S-10 could qualify as a clinker....paint is peeling, dents and dings in it....some rust....no beauty rings or center caps on the rims.....I'm not worried if it gets pelted by hail stones or if a shopping cart hits it. I'm almost not concerned if I hit a deer with it, unless it's going to hurt me or someone else. No one ever gives it a 2nd look. Tinted windows, no chrome and a big 102 whip antenna on the rear. But it runs and drives really good, has 184k on the clock and the Flowmaster muffler makes the little 6 sound really good...been asked "if there was a Mustang engine in it"....:confused: see here: YouTube - 93 S-10 2.8 V6 w/Flowmasters p1

So your wife turned down you getting a newer car again? Get those rusty brake lines replaced yet? How's that code and squeaky rear control arm?:D

When it rains it actually makes it look better. 96 S-10 Blazer 165K on it. Driving it into the ground. Actually, it does clean up pretty well but usually too busy to do so. If it gets really bad I will go thru the car wash with it.;)

i own a red 93 beretta that has been to hell and back at 272K miles on the clock. the paint is scratched, tailights cracked, rear bumper and trunk are black, front fender and hood are beaten to the point they shouldnt be on the car, i have no drivers side door panel and the window falls off the track, only have a cherry bomb and cat for exhaust, and the list goes on.;)

Merge this clunker

I had an old custom van with a jaged fender flair , and twice one day ,driveing through Dallas, bully's tried to push their way through mergeing lanes. Much to my wife's suprise the old finder claw found it's mark on both late model bully's . they were both in the wrong , but all they did cuss and show the # of there I/Q . Owning a clunker is fun . Getting away with it Priceless. Bobby.

So your wife turned down you getting a newer car again? Get those rusty brake lines replaced yet? How's that code and squeaky rear control arm?:D

I run with the code clear device attached, it only squeaks when its dry out.
When the brake line lets go on the 3rd strike I will get them all replaced.

With a clunker you can play bumper cars with your buddies and people who piss you off. You can also eat McDonalds in a clunker. I've got some great memories of my 91 GMC 2500 pickup that had over 220k on it when I sold it only because a landscaper wanted it more than I did.

94 century DD 161k showed up on my latest insurance renewal as no charge.Now thats a advantage.

LOL, my parts chaser van hasn't been washed in at least a year. Gotta love a beater.