AC delco 02 sensor

The ACDelco AFS-20 has been discontinued and is no longer available. That part now subs out to the ACDelco AFS-22, which is the GNX O2 sensor part number, however, this new AFS-22 GNX O2 sensor is no longer the same.

The reason for the discontinuation and change is because the old AFS-20 O2 sensor technology is obsolete. All of the new O2 sensors now available are of the new "planar" technology including Denso, ACDelco AFS-22, Bosch, and Delphi brands. This new technology provides the fastest reaction time, and includes an Aluminum Oxide trap layer to extend sensor life and greatly reduce lead and silicone poisoning.

Thanx for the heads up. I know Julio strongly recommends the AFS-20 sensor. I found my car currently has an AFS-22.

I don't mean to open a can of worms here, but why wouldn't one use a wideband sensor as opposed to the one wire version? What has to change to make a wideband work? Just a newbie question............

And another question, what would be the Denso application(or part number) to use if I'm running a heated O2?

Putting a wideband before the turbo is going to probably die out way too quick.

Rock Auto has the Denso's for $16 and I've used them on both my turbo cars for years. My Talon has a 5 gal mix of 110 and at 12k miles a year it kills the 02 every 8 months, Denso rules.

Don't the heated 02's just plug in like the stocker?
So it wouldn't matter since the stocker wasn't heated to begin with.

No, they have switched 12V source I believe. And are 4 wire connectors.

What is required to make a wideband O2 work? The harness has a one wire hookup for the stock sensor, so how does a 4 wire (I think) sensor connect?

I don't mean to open a can of worms here, but why wouldn't one use a wideband sensor as opposed to the one wire version? What has to change to make a wideband work? Just a newbie question............

About $300 + another $50 for probe bung south of turbo. Short probe life will reportedly result from WB probe in O2 sensor location (too high temp)...

There is some confusion as to what is discontinued and what is replaced as far as the GM/Delco parts go. You can still get the AFS20. Only now it's a Bosch sensor in a Delco box. You see when GM has a part number supercession it's usually because they changed something whether it be a different brand or supplier. Delco doesn't do this so that AFS20 will be a good number until the demand drops and they eventually discontinue them. Here's a list of part numbers.

GM=25162693 Delco=AFS20-Changes to GM 19178953. OEM LC2 Sensor
GM=25166816 Delco=AFS81-Changes to GM 25162600. Bosch part for LC2
GM=25162600 Delco=AFS81-Changes to GM 19211437. Bosch part for LC2
GM=25162753 Delco=AFS22-Changes to GM 19178953. OEM GNX sensor
GM=19178953 Delco=AFS22. Current number. Bosch sensor replaces AC Delco
GM=19211437 Delco=AFS21. Current number. Bosch sensor replaces AC Delco

Now you're probably saying, wait a minute. How can that AFS20 still be good when the chart says the AFS22 is the replacement? Checking with several on-line sources the AFS20 is still in the system. If you find one it should be the AC/Delco part and not the Bosch number.

Now I show GM has about 100 or so of the GNX sensor #25162753 still in the system so if you want the AC/Delco part you should be able to get it if you order through a GM dealer. But read this thread from the other place and see if it confuses you further on the function of the GNX part. GNX O2 Sensor - TurboBuicks.com

So as far as GM sensors go it looks like you can no longer get the original AC/Delco sensors. They have all been replaced by a Bosch sensor.