AC Compressor clutch problems..??

1NASTY6

"Staged for Life"
Had an AC compressor clutch sieze up on me at track last year and had to switch it out with a compressor that did not have the pressure switch on it. (junk yard was only 5 minutes from track and was able to continue racing this way!)

Well, finally got around to putting on a proper GN compressor that I purchased used from someone on this board. Started up car and immediately went to watch the clutch. It was spinning, but sort of slow, so I revved the car up a bit and saw some sparks come from the clutch area. If I let it idle, the clutch will spin with kind of a "jerkiness" to it. If I rev it up with a quick hit, the clutch stops spinning instantly. Heats up fast also.

This compressor, which I bought late last year, sat it the box it came mailed in all winter. I did not charge the AC after installing it either. Just wanted to get the thing installed and race tonight. (that ain't happening!)

What lubricates the unit if the system is not charged? Was I supposed to lube it somehow before putting it on?

I never tried to engage the AC because I figured that it would hurt the system because it wasn't charged.

Is this compressor junk? Any thought or ideas?

ALSO....

my car has the 134a adapter that screws to the nipple near where line runs into the radiator on passenger side. I cannot find an o-ring for this adaptor anywhere! Anyone know where I can find one? It's the real little one that fits around the bottom of the valve that screws onto the original r12 nipple.

Thanks for any help!
I have no knowledge about AC, so not sure what to think.

If the system isn't charged it SHOULDN"T be engaging.

Your local big box auto parts store should have a box of A/C orings near the freeon.

Go to this link to read up on AC basics. This article discusses the proper clearance for setting up the clutch when installing it on the compressor. Apparently your clutch does not have the necessary clearances and is dragging on the drive clutch disk.

Gnttype Tech "AC 101"