about powertrax sys...

WOW I never expected so many negative responses to this kit. We put the PWT 1920 LR (open diff kit) in an 8.5 equipped cutlass that a buddy owns and he loves the thing. It's amazingly simple to install and he claims that it's not quirky for him at all. It's slower than most cars on here (low 12s) but he's had slicks on it before and still has no issues with it. Maybe they have poor quality control. :confused:

Just my $.02

bob

the only problem i had with it was it sometimes wouldnt stay locked uner hard accell..and i broke 2 of them.. for the same price you can go mini spool or a good posi

ok i found what i will doing now !
there is the recipe for a poor guy like me lololol

Summit Steel Mini Spools: SUM-730085 - summitracing.com

mini spool 90.00

open case used 50.00

installation 100.00

240.00 for a good locked unit

thanks

Claude

sounds good to me.. i ran a mini spool in my mustang for many years.. worked great..

after the install save your $$$ for some upgraded 28 spline axles

lockers

I am one of those guys that has a 7.5 open rear end ( fully rebuilt 3 years ago, w/ 3.42 gears) also just put on umi tubular control arms w/ all new bushings. Everyone tells me put a 8.5 in there. little too expensive for me.
I've also been looking at these Powertrax systems, so what am I missing when I read all the info on their website that says this type Powertrax No-Slip Traction Systems: PWT-92-0775-2605 - summitracing.com does not make a clicking noise and is smooth? To me this seems like the perfect upgrade for my car, it is a street driver/occasional racer alll around driven hard. I guess I can understand the negative comments about the mini spools for on the street, but I'm still just re-searching before I buy anything, any other input from anyone else that has used this particular unit as showed above would be cool...

It looks like it would be a good match for your needs. Sweet6 seems to be looking for something strictly for the track.

I am one of those guys that has a 7.5 open rear end ( fully rebuilt 3 years ago, w/ 3.42 gears) also just put on umi tubular control arms w/ all new bushings. Everyone tells me put a 8.5 in there. little too expensive for me.
I've also been looking at these Powertrax systems, so what am I missing when I read all the info on their website that says this type Powertrax No-Slip Traction Systems: PWT-92-0775-2605 - summitracing.com does not make a clicking noise and is smooth? To me this seems like the perfect upgrade for my car, it is a street driver/occasional racer alll around driven hard. I guess I can understand the negative comments about the mini spools for on the street, but I'm still just re-searching before I buy anything, any other input from anyone else that has used this particular unit as showed above would be cool...

It does make some clicking and clunking noises and but not nearly as bad as older designs. I disagree with them saying it is as smooth as a limited slip. Like I said above I have one in my work truck and am happy with it so far. Great traction but a little quirky. My truck is stock and low powered so I don't know how it would do in a higher powered vehicle.

It looks like it would be a good match for your needs. Sweet6 seems to be looking for something strictly for the track.

yep i drive to the track 25 min. from here
and some time a little ride downtown
i 'm not far from home anyway.

Jason a 7.5 prone a crack between ring's tooth
a guy up here kill a gear set per year in a road race
application with a strong 350 / 400 hp in a firebird 84
he tested out a few brands of gear set but no succes
he have a mini spool in it.

my $.02

hope it help in your decision

Claude

I broke one in my 12 second daily driver in four months.
It had a three month warranty. :rolleyes:

I had one in an 86 t-type for about 6 months and it was noisy when making turns, it worked good when going straight and it finally broke and i replaced it with an auburn limited slip unit with 28 spline moser axles and haven't had a problem in 10 years now. I would have saved myself some money doing this the first time, but i didn't know. You have an advantage of knowing if you read this and you will save yourself some money in the long run by not wasting it on the powertrax.

thanks guys

I appreciate the input on this subject. I see what you guys are saying about the 7.5 being weak/prone to break, I guess I'll save myself the $450 and the headaches of a broken rear end and then having to get another rear end anyways. When the time comes I'll get a 8.5 posi. for now I'll deal w/ the one wheel burn outs :biggrin: just makes me jealous when my buddy's truck can be pitched sideways whenever he wants. oh well, at least my car is dependable. I can't say enough about the transmisions that Bruce builds @ PTS, changed my car big time. well worth the money, and makes my buddy jealous because his truck cant bark the tires into drive :)