A couple stock wire questions.

85Dan85TType

Finishing up my intercooled swap, and I'm running into 2 issues.

The alternator wire from the battery has me going :confused:. There doesn't seem a way to just run it to the alternator. Is there something I'm missing here? It's just nowhere near long enough. Doesn't appear to be cut in any way. Even just pulling it straight it's not long enough. What's going on here?

For the starter wires, I only see 2 of them in any diagram. Yet my harness has 3 wires all in the same location. 2 of them look like they have fusible links, the other one just looks plain. Where does this plain one go?

I can post a picture or ten if it'll help. Thanks!

I just finished a conversion and maybe of some help. Are you using the battery cable from the 85 or 87? I tried the 85 harness and ran into the same thing. Right now I have the 85 harness ran to the starter but the alt wire is taped off. I have a separate 4 ga. wire that came from my 87 donor ran from the battery to the alt. Remember the alt is in a different location now.

Yeah, I have both a battery cable from my '85, then I believe from an '86, neither will run all the way to the alt; which I why I was so confused.

I just decided to extend it; I'm not a big fan of cutting wires, but I'll man up and figure it out.

Anyone know what the 3rd starter wire is then, or where it goes?

If I remember right

The 2 terminals with the bigger hole go the the main starter lug. The other wire with the smaller lug is you starter key connector and goes to the small lug closest to the engine block.

HTH

Yeah, I have both a battery cable from my '85, then I believe from an '86, neither will run all the way to the alt; which I why I was so confused.

I just decided to extend it; I'm not a big fan of cutting wires, but I'll man up and figure it out.

Anyone know what the 3rd starter wire is then, or where it goes?

If you do in fact have a battery cable from an 86, the charge wire that runs to the alternator should be VERY long because it normally runs down under the crank pulley and back up to the alternator. If the one you have isn't extremely long, it's not the correct application.

Finishing up my intercooled swap, and I'm running into 2 issues.

The alternator wire from the battery has me going :confused:. There doesn't seem a way to just run it to the alternator. Is there something I'm missing here? It's just nowhere near long enough. Doesn't appear to be cut in any way. Even just pulling it straight it's not long enough. What's going on here?

For the starter wires, I only see 2 of them in any diagram. Yet my harness has 3 wires all in the same location. 2 of them look like they have fusible links, the other one just looks plain. Where does this plain one go?

I can post a picture or ten if it'll help. Thanks!

Just look at the eyelet size on the smaller wires. Large enough to go over the big lug??? then that's where they go. Should only be one small eyelet wire that goes to the smaller lug for trigger.

If you do in fact have a battery cable from an 86, the charge wire that runs to the alternator should be VERY long because it normally runs down under the crank pulley and back up to the alternator. If the one you have isn't extremely long, it's not the correct application.

Thanks for the responses! It is maybe 4" longer than the '85 one. I was really curious as to where it was supposed to be routed, as any line to the alt was either cutting through exhaust territory, or too close to moving parts.

About the starter, I get it now. I was confused because every diagram I had seen only showed two wires coming from the harness. 1 big, 1 small. Then of course the battery cable. It all makes sense now; thanks for the help guys!

the alt wire should run up the back of the accessorie brkt. thats how mine is 87. should be the same on a conversion, granted you have the right batttery cable. goes from battery down under crankpulley, their are 2 studs on the frt cover,then up the back of the acc brkt. hope this can help you

Hi,
The intercooled motors run the B+ teminal for the Alt. underneath the motor with a special conduit made just for that purpose. It attaches to two studs at the bottom of the timing cover.It's a very neat setup, but I think you have the wrong cable or something. The key to these swaps is to have the donor really handy, because you are always gonna forget something.