A/C Help

T-top87GN

The Buick Manual CD Guy
I found and fixed the leak on the wife's 91 Galant VR4.

I went ahead and got a retrofit kit for the system since I don't have anymore R12 and didn't feel like trying to track some down. I started charging the system with the A/C on max. I know I was getting refrigerant in there because eventually the clutch on the compressor finally kicked when I had enough added to satisfy the Hi/Lo pressure switch.

Anyways, the cheapo gauge on the charing line is showing slightly overcharged all of a sudden. I haven't even emptied the first can in there so I know there is no way there is too much in there. Also, it seems like refrigerant is no longer being fed from the can? What the heck is going on here!?!!? :confused:

scottyb said:
Did you vacuum the system?
Does it blow cold air?

Yes I pulled a vac on the system. No it does not blow cold air. For R134a this sytem requires 26.4oz. I haven't even got 15oz into it yet!

Damn, I don't know. I think you'll prolly need gauges to see what the deal is. Are you sure it's hooked up to the low side? ;)

I don't know which retrofit kit you are using but the one I had did a similar thing and it was because the quick disconnect fitting on the end of the charging hose would not depress the shrader valve unless I physically pushed down on the disconnect. Without doing this all I was reading was the pressure in the can and not system press. Try pushing down on the connector. I got my kit from the evil , "WORLDMART".

I hope I could be of some help. :)

Yup, it's hooked up on the low side. I guess I will just have to hook up the manifold guages and see what the heck is going on.

OK, manifold gauges show 45 psi low side and 50 psi high side.

Does that mean anything to anyone?

Like scottyb said, your compressor isn't "compressing". I would check the "high pressure switch" next.

Most systems need about 50#'s of system pressure to let the compressor run. Are you certain that you were still actually charging freon when the trouble started? I don't mean to insult you , I just find that it is best to exhaust the simplest possible causes first. When you charged the freon did you hold the can upright or upside down? I find holding the can upside down is the quickest way. If holding can upright make sure you shake it vigorously to help the boiling process. If it is being charged into the system the can should get cold to the touch. If you want you can email me and I will give you my phone # and we could try to sort it out.

check and charge the system with the AC running on max, fan on high, preferrably with the engine running at ~2000 rpms. It's also best to get a good fan in front of the car to attempt real driving conditions.