a/c compressor removal

Early_Grace

Please don't tell me to do a search. I've searched nine pages of threads that didn't have anything to do with removing an a/c compressor.

What bolts are holding this thing on? I've removed all of the obvious ones, but there's one behind the tensioner pulley and feels like one at the 6 o'clock position. But I have no idea how to get to that bolt on the 6 o'clock position. And even if I did get the nut off of the stud behind the tensioner pulley, I won't be able to pull the compressor out because the pulley will be in the way. I have nothing to leverage it against to get the pulley out of the way.

Please don't tell me to do a search. I've searched nine pages of threads that didn't have anything to do with removing an a/c compressor.

What bolts are holding this thing on? I've removed all of the obvious ones, but there's one behind the tensioner pulley and feels like one at the 6 o'clock position. But I have no idea how to get to that bolt on the 6 o'clock position. And even if I did get the nut off of the stud behind the tensioner pulley, I won't be able to pull the compressor out because the pulley will be in the way. I have nothing to leverage it against to get the pulley out of the way.

Also, I ordered a repair manual on CD, but have not received it yet...so I have no reference to go by.

Never mind.
And, it's looking doubtful I'll receive that CD repair manual I ordered the other day. Just gonna put it all back together.
Considering getting rid of this GN....not to sell, but a rendezvous in the Mojave Desert with 500 rounds of 7.62

Don't give up! I had a hard time removing the compressor too. Been over a year so I don't remember how I got it but it was more than a few tries.

Thanks for the support. Wouldn't be so bad if I knew my manual on CD was coming soon, but I don't know what's up with that.

The one bolt right next to where the AC lines bolt on to the compressor is the bad one. This bolt will not come out unless you remove the AC lines. otherwise you have to leave it bolted and take the Compressor out with the front flat Y bracket attached. Im not sure what your looking to do. If your removing the AC alltogether make sure you evacuate the system then take everything apart. All the other bolts I had no problem with. The bolt on the bottom on the front of the compressor Loosen it with an open wrench (I believe 15mm)and it should just slide out once you have the compressor up. Try taking all the other bolts off and doing that last so you can pull the compressor forward while your unbolting that one.

Just got done removing my compressor for the 3rd time in the last 2 years. Remove the tensioner pulley by removing the 2 15mm bolts holding it. This will give you the room to remove the 15mm nut from the 6 o'clock position and slide the compressor forward and off the bolt. The removal after evacuating the system should be able to be completed in about 30 minutes.

The one bolt right next to where the AC lines bolt on to the compressor is the bad one. This bolt will not come out unless you remove the AC lines. otherwise you have to leave it bolted and take the Compressor out with the front flat Y bracket attached. Im not sure what your looking to do. If your removing the AC alltogether make sure you evacuate the system then take everything apart. All the other bolts I had no problem with. The bolt on the bottom on the front of the compressor Loosen it with an open wrench (I believe 15mm)and it should just slide out once you have the compressor up. Try taking all the other bolts off and doing that last so you can pull the compressor forward while your unbolting that one.

Gotcha...system is dry and empty. AC compressor is burned out. I gather I had everything off except for the 6 o'clock nut. Ended up putting it back together without swapping in the new ac compressor.

Just got done removing my compressor for the 3rd time in the last 2 years. Remove the tensioner pulley by removing the 2 15mm bolts holding it. This will give you the room to remove the 15mm nut from the 6 o'clock position and slide the compressor forward and off the bolt. The removal after evacuating the system should be able to be completed in about 30 minutes.

That's what I was missing...don't know why I didn't think about it when I had removed that tensioner pulley for different reasons on my other past newer Chevy vehicles. Just stress about other things with this car on top of it all. Thanks, I'll remember next time.