9 second turbo suggestion (Again)

Don, the 76turbo, what is the psi sweet spot for this turbo. I would like to run this turbo in the 20psi range on the street (and hoping for around 500hp at that psi level) Would this particlar turbo be too doggish at these lower boost range?
Adrian

Anything over 16 to 18 psi was very nice. And that's without nitrous.

Your right Otto, my car weighs 3280 with me in it, so add 320 pounds to it, would it not still be in the nines @ 22psi? (with a properly working converter too:wink: )
I would figure you to still be in the 9s @ 22#s but not mid 9s.(with the right convertor:wink: )

The lag from a 76 turbo on the street just won't be worth the gain if any. There are TSM motors running BIG numbers with a 3 bolt 70 and can spool them on a pro-tree like nothing. I don't see the need for NOS period with properly set up combo. I might consider the new 67 PTE BB turbo also.

16psi, in 0.4 seconds!!! wow. that is nearly instantaneous! i am sure it will be a matter of keeping it on the ground that will become my problem.

You would not want to run shot size that did that for you on the street.

This is more of a tuning problem than a turbo spoolup problem If you have control of fuel and timing maps.
I cant say I have ever had a problem like you state.
If your timing and fuel tables are relative to boost you should retune the maps in these area,If your finding detonaion with anything less than 20#s on pump you have something wrong.
But im sure you will have a reason something to contradict me:D

This particular customer was running a turbo tweak chip. I was not involved with his tuneup. I suggested that he send it back to have it corrected. Last I heard he did and the problem was corrected. I'm just saying that if you or anyone else is doing the tuning and you have a very quick spooler, you will need to pay particular attention to that area of the maps. Most mail order chips aren't going to be setup for a quick spooling setup.

Sorry if you're getting a little paranoid with me Otto.:D I enjoy your posts. Don't be that way.

We have seen the PTE 70GTQ go 9.0 @ 150 on multiple cars weighing over 3500#s and running 28-30#s of boost.

Don's car is another car that is way lighter than the average Buick will be.
So unless your car is weighing less than 3300 with you in,Both Don's and Micheals cars will be faster at lower boost levels.

In Vegas, my car still had the steel doors. Weight was 3360 w/driver. 22 psi and dropping on the way to the finish line. The T76 was running out of breath with my little 236cid at the time. A new wastegate setup wasn't set correctly also.

Just think of it. :rolleyes: If I had the 'right torque converter' and wasn't using nitrous I might be in the mid eights already. :eek: ;) What do you guys think? :biggrin: I wonder what Dusty would think of that? :rolleyes:

Just think of it. :rolleyes: If I had the 'right torque converter' and wasn't using nitrous I might be in the mid eights already. :eek: ;) What do you guys think? :biggrin: I wonder what Dusty would think of that? :rolleyes:

Who is this Dusty guy? :confused:

Lots of action in this thread, just looking at the bottom there are alot of people just viewing it. I say stick with the 70GTQ and forget the NOS. If your interested, i have a 4 bolt 70GTQ/ ATR headers & SS 3" matching downpipe forsale that I used to run 9's with at 24psi and had punched valve springs and header leaks. The 70GTQ has a tredmendous upside.

I'm siding with these guys. Unless you absolutely must play with nitrous, keep it simple.

Okay so this has become a show-down between the 70GTQ and the 76mm, but what about the 71 and 72mm turbos out there? are these turbos mainly all hype, or are they a happy median between the two?

Otto J, you said that if i am going to be buying headers that i should run a small A/R. Could you please explain why i would want to run a smaller A/R on such a large turbo? From what i have picked up, if i am running a smaller A/R on these turbos, i will be getting really high backpressures in the top end of things, and thus taking away some of the turbo's efficiences.

The 70HPQBB 4 bolt is the winner for a 212-212 with iron heads for a solid 9 second combo. Forget about what TSM has done. They arent driven thousands of miles a year like 99% of the guys that post on here. If TSM could go 4 bolt they would:biggrin: . If you wanted to use nitrous id suggest a GTS turbine since you are going 4 bolt this would be no problem and really drop the back pressure at higher rpms. Another thing TSM would be running if the rules allowed it but they cant since they cant fit in in a 3 bolt housing. Boo hoo. But still go with the 70 compressor wheel. Its plenty for iron heads and 212 cam. You will need a really good converter to take advantage of these parts.

Okay so this has become a show-down between the 70GTQ and the 76mm, but what about the 71 and 72mm turbos out there? are these turbos mainly all hype, or are they a happy median between the two?

Otto J, you said that if i am going to be buying headers that i should run a small A/R. Could you please explain why i would want to run a smaller A/R on such a large turbo? From what i have picked up, if i am running a smaller A/R on these turbos, i will be getting really high backpressures in the top end of things, and thus taking away some of the turbo's efficiences.
He says this because the 4 bolt ex housings flow a lot more than a 3 bolt. A .69 4 bolt will outflow a .85 3 bolt. Depends on the converter and if you will use nitrous or not. If nitrous id go GTS and .96a/r. If no nitrous id go HPQ and .69a/r. If you want to use a 3800-4000 stall you could go beyond the .69ex. If you had a solid cammed engine and were revving past 6500 the larger wheels you mentioned would be a better choice but the 70 is fine for your needs on the small ci engine.

He says this because the 4 bolt ex housings flow a lot more than a 3 bolt. A .69 4 bolt will outflow a .85 3 bolt. Depends on the converter and if you will use nitrous or not. If nitrous id go GTS and .96a/r. If no nitrous id go HPQ and .69a/r. If you want to use a 3800-4000 stall you could go beyond the .69ex. If you had a solid cammed engine and were revving past 6500 the larger wheels you mentioned would be a better choice but the 70 is fine for your needs on the small ci engine.
Exactly,Your motor will not need a big a/r to make good power.
Ttypewhites setup is what your looking for.

The reason why I said the "right converter" is becasue I have a Chance bolt together and I am at 17.6% slip. I was debating whether to get the PTC or continue to work with the Chance unit. At this point my funds are telling me to stay with the Chance.

hmmm very interesting information you guys have brought up. expanding on the 4 bolt setup, do 4 bolt header.turbo combos outflow throught the enitre powerband, or are they sluggish down low.

Also, my previous turbo was a T66 bb with a .63 housing and a P trim on a 3 bolt, would going up to a 70 gtq 4 bolt .69 housing make a huge difference?

You guys ROCK!!!

The reason why I said the "right converter" is becasue I have a Chance bolt together and I am at 17.6% slip. I was debating whether to get the PTC or continue to work with the Chance unit. At this point my funds are telling me to stay with the Chance.

Sell the Chance and get a PTC. PTC's are a steal for what they do.