87 TR, finally out of paint, pics inside

neat

One of the latest projects, just wanted to post some pictures. It's an 87 Buick Regal with a turbocharged 3.8. The car was originally black, but it didn't have the black out option so all the trim was chrome, bumpers were chrome, etc...

This is before:

The car was weather checked extremely bad so it needed to go all the way to metal:

Here's a shot of the metal under the paint that was weather checked. Pretty rough:

Once I got the car to metal, it started to flash rust almost instantly. The flash rust happened so quickly, that I ended up having to put the car in epoxy primer one panel at a time. By the time I cleaned the rust off a second panel, the first had started to turn orange again. I started with the drivers side front fender:

Literally ever panel on the car needed body work. Nothing on the car was straight:

The passenger door was the worst. It had been compressed at some point in it's life and was rippled from top to bottom:

After a million hours of body work, it went into 2 coats of high build primer:

After that, the car was block sanded and the body work touched up. Once that was done, 2 more coats of high build primer were put on it. That was sanded slick, and a final coat of epoxy primer was put on the car. Then it was painted black. The paint is a mix that has no toner other than black, no additives, nothing; - just black. It's quite a bit darker than the factory black:

Couple coats of PPG Concept Clear:

One of the bumpers, now in black instead of chrome:

The final sanding and buffer / polisher work:

And a few shots of it all back together:

There's a bunch of pictures of it on the photobucket page.

Looks great. While I have a GN, I've always liked the looks of the dark paint cars with chrome trim. I think the car would have really stood out with the chrome. In the sea of all black cars at a Buick event the chrome cars pop. But hey, it's your car, enjoy it.

At some point I hope to find and buy a chrome package car, preferablly a dark blue metallic, chrome package, landau roof, leather interior Limited (but a T will do;) ). It will cost dollars for sure.

I don't think it'll be doing any Buick shows anytime soon, wasn't really concerned about it standing out amongst the crowd there, lol. However, parked next to a Buick with the stock color paint, you can tell a pretty dramatic difference in the color. Maybe that'll get it some attention if it's ever parked in a sea of black Buicks.

Thanks for the compliments!