87 Gn Why Have Smoke??

unique custom

SOMETIMES JUST SOMETIMES WHEN I PARK MY CAR OR IM IN A RED LIGHT MY CAR SMOKE ALOT AND WHITE,WHEN I TAKE OF IS GONE,EVEN WHEN I GO SLOW THAT I DONT HIT THE GAS AT ALL,I MEAN THAT NEVER HAPPEN BEFORE,LOOK LIKE IS MORE EVERY TIME,CAN SOMEONE HELP ME/?:confused:

SOMETIMES JUST SOMETIMES WHEN I PARK MY CAR OR IM IN A RED LIGHT MY CAR SMOKE ALOT AND WHITE,WHEN I TAKE OF IS GONE,EVEN WHEN I GO SLOW THAT I DONT HIT THE GAS AT ALL,I MEAN THAT NEVER HAPPEN BEFORE,LOOK LIKE IS MORE EVERY TIME,CAN SOMEONE HELP ME/?:confused:

White smoke is generally burning coolant (blue is oil, black is rich). Does it correspond with anything? Perhaps a hard full throttle run where the engine knocked or something similar?

Look for oil in the coolant and/or coolant in the oil. If there is any "milkshake" in the oil, stop driving right away, coolant and bearings don't like eachother (and it might save you from having to replace the bearings if it didn't work down into the pan).

All worst case, I hope it is just condensation or something less daunting. The condition of the oil and coolant should tell.

Good luck!

i just look the oil and look good i just change the oil a week ago,the coolant look good too,do u think that because was very cold,have somethine to do?

how i check the shaft play in turbo and how i check compression/?

Well, good news on the oil and coolant, keep an eye on both of them.

If you can get to your spark plugs pretty easily, you could pull the plugs and take a look at them. If you find one cyl different than the others, then it might help diagnose.

For shaft play: Pull the intake piping off the turbo so that you can get to the impeller. From there, you can wiggle on the impeller to determine if you have play in your shaft, either up/down or in/out. I would think that excessive shaft play on the turbo would lead to blue smoke though (oil past the bearings). Sometimes it is hard to tell the color of the smoke though, are you sure it is white?

Compression check is done with a compression gauge. Just do a quick Google to find info on compression test and you should find plenty of info on this. Or look in any repair manual (Chiltons, Haynes, etc) for the proceedure. It isn't difficult, especially if you have good access to your spark plugs. This should indicate a blown head gasket which is a resonable cause for burning coolant.

If you are sure that it is white smoke, and a lot of it (more than would be resonable for condensation), then it almost has to be burning coolant and there are only a few ways for that to happen. Keep investigating and I'm sure you will figure it out.

thank u my friend for help me........if is a head gasket,do u thing that is very hard to change or i have to take it to a mechanic?

thank u my friend for help me........if is a head gasket,do u thing that is very hard to change or i have to take it to a mechanic?

Well, I don't think that a head gasket is that bad to fix but I've done that sort of work several times. It all depends on how comfortable you are with working on your car. It should be done right, that is for sure, otherwise you will end up pulling it apart again before you really should have to.

Best bet for doing this sort of work for the first time is to have a friend that has done it before help you. Then you will get a good result and learn how to fix it in the future if it happens again.

Don't jump in too fast though. Make sure that you have a head gasket problem before you start plans for fixing it ;) . Do you have any experienced car buddies around you? Another set of experienced eyes might help you diagnose the problem quickly and most importantly accurately.

I hope that it isn't anything serious but you should make sure that you figure it out. If it is a head gasket and so far, you have no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, it would be best to catch it early. If you get coolant in the oil then it can be a lot more work to replace the bearings in the motor.

Best of luck.

i see my friend tomorow i will go to a gn mechanic here in orlando where he can tell me the problem,thank u very much for u time,let me ask u,where u live at?