87 GN vs 89 TTA

vettekilr

"NO its not a MONTE"
Does anyone know which car was fastest stock? 1/4 mile times? Do TTA's have same stock turbo as GN?What are the diff. between these two cars? Really need to know,THANX

TTA faster then a GN

GNX v. TTA is drivers race (Depends on if the driver of the TTA can get it out of the hole well)

Turbos not sure about

Info from reading this board,
Sean

Yep, the TTAs were a hair faster than the GNs primarily due to their weight advantage.

Originally posted by DCEPTCN
Yep, the TTAs were a hair faster than the GNs primarily due to their weight advantage.
.5-1 second faster is a little more than a hair...

Max boost was set at 16.5 psi, better suspension, bigger intercooler, better heads, ect. compared to a GN.

Now, if youre talking about the GNX, seems to be a toss up.

Look at the FAQ list under turbo trans am tech in this site and then Go to www.89tta.com .

HTH
Bo

TTA is alot faster in the 1/4 mile than a stock GN. Mostly due to Turbo boost....16.5 for the TTA vs. 13 to 14psi for the GN. Also the GN's boost will drop in third gear with the stock chip to around 12 psi.

Pete

Having flowed a set of TTA heads even in a worked state they didn't come close to TR heads on the exhaust side. I think it was more to do with the other things mentioned in this thread.

An '86 GN is faster than an '87, anyway.

A TTA is .2-.5 and 2-4 mph faster than either, however.

I would think the TTA body being a little more aerodynamic than a Regal would give it an advantage also?:)

i think the TTA has the same ceramic turbo as the GNX????? or am i wrong? i thoght it has some sort of better turbo, or maybe just more boost, not too sure.

I've got news for ya, the TTA's are not much lighter than a TR.... if any at all. My TTA weighs 3465 pounds without me and 1/2 tank of fuel....not a lightweight by any means.

There is not a ceramic GNX turbo on the TTA, it is the turbo from a GN.

This always generates a lot of discussion - check out the archives.

Anyway, the TTA did not have the ceramic impeller thingy like the GNX had but the turbo basically the same as the GN. In other words, it's not like a TA-49 or an upgrade.

When I looked, the TTA intercooler seemed to be the same size as the GN but it had a different fin count like the GNX and is slightly more efficient than the GN.

Aerodynamically - no contest and that accounts for a large difference.

The TTA heads vs. the GN are always a debate; general consensus is slightly better for the TTA (but I've seen all kinds of arguments). And the TTA used FWD heads because of the A/C unit, not the cross towers as is the common misconception.

The TTA had a cross-drilled crank (but I doubt that's gonna help your ET). It also had "minor" (and that word is subjective to each individual) improvements in the chip programming and tranny (relative to shifting I think).

I submit the GN had a better rear end than the TTA (but rear end beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?)

Handling? stock vs. stock the TTA is hands down winner.
Quality of ride? That's subjective. The 3rd gen f-bodies generally suck for ride quality.

Color? I agree with Henry Ford :)

For having (basically) the same drivetrain they are still remarkably 2 completely different cars.

yeah I own both and stock for stock the TTA will rip the gn a new ash, like 5 + cars in the quarter. The intercooler on the TTA is a little longer (has more bars) this is a fact I can count. I love both cars the TTA is better suited for a driver(opinion) and the gn as the car to build. belive it or not I get more questions on the TTA when the hood is up knowone knows jack about those cars. Maybe I just educated all the car guys in town about the GN though.:D

tta

The tta had all of the programing of the x and the intercooler. More boost because of the intercooler. Aero hands down tta. It is still the fastest pontiac.:D

Let's not forget that the TTA's have a higher ratio rocker (1.67) which accounts for a tad more lift when compared to the TR's....a few HP more I would guess.

Now would be the time to buy one. These cars are drastically under-appreciated and there have been a ton of them for sale in the last 2 years. Lots of good deals IMHO. Look around, you'll be surprised at what you might find.

Originally posted by gn4u2c
belive it or not I get more questions on the TTA when the hood is up knowone knows jack about those cars. Maybe I just educated all the car guys in town about the GN though.:D
That's because everyone knows the GN was a turbo V8, they only want to know if its a twin turbo like someone they knew 15 years ago....the TTA, no one knew they even made a "turbo" Trans Am after the 2nd gens.....the only question I always get on the TTA is "is it a V8?" When the answer is "no", they walk off.