87 GN pwer seat question

viokrome

My 87 GN power drivers seat rocks back in forth, slop looks like its coming from the front left corner. Seat moves and reclines fine in all directions and is bolted down at the floorpan tight. Any ideas before I start to pull the seat out?

I am just about to do a write up on this because I just had a similar problem with a friends car. So I removed the seat and took pics to show the process. These are 2 pics that may help you. The first is a broken bracket that attaches the seat bottom to the rail. This broken bracket made it feel like the seat would drop an inch after sitting in the seat. I had the bracket welded while on the frame rail and no more problems.

The second pic is just for your general reference. The rail assembly is on the left and the seat on the right. Both of the items are upside down.
I also learned that over the years the "solenoids" that adjust the seat can become out of alignment. This will require you to (with the rail assembly upside down" remove the 2 nuts on each rail, being careful to hold pressure manually because there is a large spring under there, then lift top part of rail up. You can manually spin the solenoids and in doing so raise or lower the rail. I used a level from left to right however, Im sure that you can use a tape measure to make each side equal. When replacing remember to line up the top of the solenoid bolts into the slot on the rail.

Also a good time to clean and re lube the track assembly. If time allows I will be doing a full write up with pics on this procedure. I was unable to find one prior to starting my own project.

Hope this helps,

Busyman

Attachments

• IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 85
Thanks, that is right where the seat is rockin at. I will know what to look for now. Would like to see your write up when done...
Thanks again........

Excellent explaination, Busyman....and don't forget to check the four bolts that actually hold the seat to the power seat assembly also.....mine rocked somewhat until I found that two bolts had backed out some......

Blue Steel.....'87GN(Bruce Urie)

All good advice unfortunately Buick cut corners on the seats and frame work basing it on drievrs weighing around 100-120 lbs at best. I even had a C5 Corvette and had to buy a new seat frame as it had cracked.

You would be lucky if its the bolts loose but chances are it is cracked around one of the mouting bolts.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

On the plus side the 1987 had a better power seat set up over the earlier styles.

I think mine is in the track. I will pull it out in the morning and post what I find. Thanx for all the advise........guess I better look for a spare, LoL I have not 120Lbs since grade school.

Ok got the seat torn down, the left rail aft solenoid braket is craked and the left front solenoid has slop up and down looks like the braket hinge pins are worn.
The left and right solenoids are also out of alignment.