87 GN project LS6.0

Ian Wald

DSCN1643.JPG
Hey everyone, I'm back with a new project. I bought a 87 GN from Jason and I'm going LS power. I bought a iron block 6.0L and will be doing a big single turbo. So I will not be useing allot of the GN parts(computer, rear end, gas tank AC box etc...) so if any of you guys need parts or peices get ahold of me with your needs and I'll see if I'm not useing them, and would be happy to sell them to fund the project. The ultimate goal is to go up against Geno's street car, I've seen it run 9.80's, and yes it will be driver with a little track time(turbo thunder)
DSCN1645.JPG

I'm not going to touch the long block, th400 w/ 2800 PTC convert, 9inch rear w/ 3.00 gears, pte billet 76mm, haven't made up my mind weather useing a complete FAST setup or going cheap with a blowthrou carb, methonal injection. Geno is going to be helpping me with the details. It's a street car car so I'm only going to be running 5-10# 20# max boost, if I did the math right it should be good for 800hp.

Good to see ya back in the game.
Seems like EFI tuning with XFI system is affordable and highly customizable is the way to go. I prefer fuel inj over carb.
Seems like the stall rpm and gear ratio is low certainly compared to a turbo V6. Is that because the LS V8 efficiency?

I would rather go efi, but by the time you add all the parts and peices together it will cost about 5k, versus about 2k for the carb setup. Everyone that I've talked to or read there builds say that 3.00 or 3.20 gears are the right way to go, there are even guys running 2.90 gears so I'll start at 3.20 and go from there, but I'm along way away from rear end set up.

I would rather go efi, but by the time you add all the parts and peices together it will cost about 5k, versus about 2k for the carb setup. Everyone that I've talked to or read there builds say that 3.00 or 3.20 gears are the right way to go, there are even guys running 2.90 gears so I'll start at 3.20 and go from there, but I'm along way away from rear end set up.
No reason U can't use a truck intake, [or even an LS1 or LS6 intake], a stock PCM/modified harness, etc, and still come in way under your suggested $5K.. Or, the $2K carb deal.
There are lots of good tuners on the EFILIVE forum that can help w/ the tuning.

thanks for the vote of confidence on the stock PCM. The engine did come with all the wiring and intake manifolds etc. But I'm having my first problem. I messaged black power to find out what mounts he is useing becuse the mounts i bought(trans dapt) are not fitting. I'm just trying to get the motor in the car so I can start mocking up the hot side. When it comes time for the PCM stuff I'll probley message you. Thanks again, Ian.

thanks for the vote of confidence on the stock PCM. The engine did come with all the wiring and intake manifolds etc. But I'm having my first problem. I messaged black power to find out what mounts he is useing becuse the mounts i bought(trans dapt) are not fitting. I'm just trying to get the motor in the car so I can start mocking up the hot side. When it comes time for the PCM stuff I'll probley message you. Thanks again, Ian.

U R most welcome. My bud and I can help w/ the tuning. [We use EFILIVE].
What part of the mounts are giving problems?? How about a pic or two to help??

U R most welcome. My bud and I can help w/ the tuning. [We use EFILIVE].
What part of the mounts are giving problems?? How about a pic or two to help??
here are some pics...sorry i haven't been in town to do this earlier. All the mount systems I've seen are for LS1,LS6, I'm not seening any for the LS2 does this make any differance?

Attachments

• DSCN1658.JPG
    DSCN1658.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 187
  • DSCN1659.JPG
    DSCN1659.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 184
  • DSCN1662.JPG
    DSCN1662.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 180
The block plates for an LS1,LS6, are the same on a LS2. [Or a LQ4 truck, etc].
Not sure from the pics as to what U R trying to show. Where is the problem? It looks like U have the block plates and small blk mounts.
The plates go on the 4 bolt bosses, fastened w/ the taper headed flat screws, then the mounts are installed w/ the short hex bolts/lock washers.
Check the plates for clearance on the block.

the bolts that the kit provided hit the block, the instructions say that the nuts that came with the kit are put behind the plate...but there's no room. I'm going to get a different kit altogether. I'm going to go with the kit that BPR makes, it's a complete kit; block plate, frame pads,bushings,trans crosmember, and trans bushings. It's a liitle expensive @ 420.00 but it's garanteed to fit with the GM LS swap pan(which I was going to get anyways)and my TH400.

View attachment 175767 Hey everyone, I'm back with a new project. I bought a 87 GN from Jason and I'm going LS power. I bought a iron block 6.0L and will be doing a big single turbo. So I will not be useing allot of the GN parts(computer, rear end, gas tank AC box etc...) so if any of you guys need parts or peices get ahold of me with your needs and I'll see if I'm not useing them, and would be happy to sell them to fund the project. The ultimate goal is to go up against Geno's street car, I've seen it run 9.80's, and yes it will be driver with a little track time(turbo thunder)View attachment 175766
9.72 to be exact so come get some LOL.

don't worry you'll be in my rearview mirror soon LOL
The question is what year?and is this when your car is setting at the shop on jack stands and my is car parked behind it? LOL

The motor and trans are in!!! The brp mounts worked well but had to do some mods to get the trans cross member to fit. (anything "bolt on" means modifications are required) The motor is level and straight now I am gong to put the front clip back on and see how it all works. On the down side...work is slowing down so I had this week off and maybe a layoff. So I'm going to bring the car home to my little garage and do what I can with what I have. The project is not dead!!! just in a slower gear. So if anyone needs any parts or pieces contact me with your needs and I'll make you a deal, because I need money for parts.