87 Gn Pingin

RA6T7GTO

i have a 87 gn, only mods done are red stripe injectors and a chip,also have a open kn air filter and a lt1 maf,lately i been hearing some pinging under full throttle,i been running sunoco prem,i have only had this car since last march and dont know alot about them,hopefully i can get some good ideas on what to check out, i know i cant leave it this way, thanks

Knock = not good. What kind of boost are you running? Turn it down till it goes away, or keep your foot out of it.

You may be on your way to ejecting a head gasket. The ECM will retard timing to a certain extent, but if you don't lift....the damage will be done.

Solutions -
1. race fuel
2. Alky kit - a must
3. turn boost down

Is there any type of scan tool? Any data you can provide us with?

The race fuel would not be cost effective abviously.

The alcohol kit will allow you to run almost as much boost as you want. It is a great safety net with the side effect of performance. It's like having race fuel on demand.

Do a search on alky kits through this site. Contact Julio and ask questions. They are easy to install and require almost no maintenance.

sorry i dont have any kind of scan tool,how do i turn down the boost?
i dont use the car that often so i will try to solve this before it gets nice out, who makes a good alky kit for the car,

You adjust the boost with an adjustable wastegate if your car has one?? You loosen up the jam nut remove the end of the rod for the turbo and turn the end counter clockwise to make the rod longer. The longer the rod the less boost it will make.

Also BUY a scan tool! A scanmaster.

Do you have a boost gauge besides the one in the dash?? If not you need to get one.

Attachments

• 6952_lg.jpg
    6952_lg.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 120
Replace the 7/32 hoses on the boost solenoid, wastegate and y fitting.

To lower the boost, take one hose straight from the shiney side of the turbo (compressor) to the wastegate (puck with arm)

If you put that hose, with nothing else inline, you will get 12-14 psi.

Do it now, and save those head gaskets.
BW

What chip did you install. Was it burned for 93 octane? If it was burned for race gas: The timing has too much advance(probably). If your waste gate isn't adjustable: No one has turned the boost up to start with. Could be a bad boost solenoid, clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump, low voltage to fuel pump, etc. Get a boost gauge, ScanMaster(at least), have the fuel pressure checked to see if it's adjusted properly, and increasing enough under boost(mount a fuel pressure gauge on the hood). Meantime, at least do what Quick6 suggested, to see if reducing the boost helps.