'87 GN in Woodstock, IL

Parkey34

Hi,
I am Nick Parkhurst from Woodstock, IL and just signed up here so I can get some help with my '87 GN. I purchased it last year from Ray Kemmerling but I haven't had time to work on it much until now. When I bought it the engine would turn so far each way and stop, I didn't want to force it. The turbo and intercooler were removed because Ray was in the middle of upgrading the turbo when he decided to park it for 11yrs. I removed the intake, soaked the lifters with oil, squirted oil in each cylinder, turned it so far each way, soaked everything in oil again and let it sit for a few days repeating this whole process every few days. After a couple weeks the engine rotated 360' nice and smooth! I will be dropping the fuel tank next to see what's happening in there and clean the entire fuel system. This car only has 49k miles on it and I have always wanted a GN so this is going to be fun!

DSC05267.JPG
Some pics for ya!
DSC05262.JPG

Attachments

• 184.JPG
    184.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 229
Good luck with it. I would pull the heads and check the cylinders, new injectors, fuel pump, hotwire, and a new chip

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hi Nick there are a few of us down the road in Huntley / Lake in the Hills / Algonquin. We'll have to hook up sometime.

Hello Nick! Welcome To Turbobuick.com!!! :) Good Luck and have fun with your new project! :)

Thanks for the welcoming guys! I am just getting ready to pull the fuel tank. As of now there are 2 fuel pumps, one in tank and one in line. I am thinking it would be much better to have just one fuel pump. The previous owner recommended a Red Armstrong pump. I have to figure out what I need for proper fuel supply. I think the current injectors are 42lb/hr if I remember correctly. The current chip is an ATR Pit Bull, it came with a whole bunch of other chips to choose from. I don't plan on pulling the heads, I have a borescope to see through the spark plug holes. This car is kinda old school, it has a bunch of upgrades done at ANS Performance in the '90s. I may definitely need help from you local guys, especially to get things back together figuring out what bolts go where.

I got the fuel tank out today and the inside looks pristine. I used my borescope to check the inside thoroughly and even the top of the inside is spotless. The outside has some rust but I will just sand it off and paint it. The fuel lines are very rusty so I may replace them. Now I just have to figure out if I should keep the two pumps or get one good one.003.JPG[]004.JPG

FYI, I got it running! Running without the turbo & intercooler that is, I will have the intercooler back from the radiator shop tomorrow so I can get the turbo on too. Better late than never!

If thats an.inline added in I wouldnt use it.. go to racetronix and get hot wire kit and new pump. Maybe new hanger if gas guage is off

Nice looking GN. :) Did you pull the cam sensor and prime the oil pump before starting it?
You might want to put some zinc additive in the oil. Here's a list of reading to get you started.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/
Use the search to help find your answers. If you can't find them, don't be afraid to ask. Lots of good info and great people here.

Welcome to the site and happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Thanks for the info guys. Yes I did prime it before starting. I recently got a new fuel tank and the intercooler cleaned and leak free. I am headed to Racetronix website now to order a new fuel pump.

I have a reds 340 with sender and hotwire kit that ill sell you. Im local.

Sorry, you're 10min too late, I ordered a Racetronix 340lph pump and hotwire kit. I prefer all new fuel components since I have had bad luck in the past with other cars. I get sick of playing with fuel tanks.

No problem, It will sell. I just thought I would offer it up to a local guy.