'87 GN Engine Troubles (HELP...its my daily driver!)VIDEO

85supreme

Hey everyone,
I am a new member and am having some engine problems with my GN.
My dad purchased the '87 GN two years ago and we just got it on the road in August of '12. Since then I have been driving it too school and work every day, but have only put about 500 miles on it.

-We are not too sure about what has been done to the car since the previous owner was not too sure either-

Previous Problem:
Scanmaster throwing code 45 for rich exhaust. Car was running 8lbs of boost and getting 10mpg (I barely touch the pedal)
Check engine light has been coming on during cold starts but goes away next restart.

Current Problem: (began this morning)

Got in the car this morning, started it and it was running like it was misfiring as soon as the check engine light came on. It was atleast 45 degrees out this morning where i live.

The engine does not accelerate in park when you give it gas.

Black smoke comming from exhaust when you rev it.

Codes-What they mean-the Causes just not sure where to start with them. Also the scanmaster was not giving me all of the readings, like not RMP and others in video.

2012-11-01_17-03-38_236.jpg

Video

I know it is probably helpful to know what chip is in the car, but im not too sure if it is the stock one or not. The computer is one that has been remanufactured.

My dad and I are not too familiar with this engine as it is our first TB so any pics or diagrams of the cam sensor, air temp sensor...What is the Cal-Pak?

Any help or advise would be great. This is my daily driver and it is going to be out of commission until I can get it fixed.

Thank You!
-Mike

The Cal-pak is the smaller chip and the bigger one is the PROM. That's a reman ECM, could have crapped out, check the connections and maybe try reseating the chip. Make sure your battery is fully charged too.

will try all of this tomorrow and post a vid of the scanmaster readings with the car warmed up
Thanks guys!

Sounds like a bad Mass airflow sensor...unplug it and see if it runs better...
When mine failed o2 readings never bounced, when I unplugged the MAF...the voltage readings on the 02 started to bounce....

Just started the car up with the MAF unplugged and it ran like it normally does. It was running really rich though. Is that normal when running with the MAF unplugged? Also, all the codes on the scanmaster went away, but now it is giving code 34 which i am assuming is the MAF code?

-Mike

85supreme said:
Just started the car up with the MAF unplugged and it ran like it normally does. It was running really rich though. Is that normal when running with the MAF unplugged? Also, all the codes on the scanmaster went away, but now it is giving code 34 which i am assuming is the MAF code?

-Mike

Sounds like you just need to replace the MAF and you should be ok.

Tried some MAF cleaner and it fixed the problem. Looks like it could be getting clogged up due to little holes in my old air filter. The air filter has a whole in the side for a sensor, is it the air temp sensor or something else? Im going to look for a new air filter but i guess i need one with a whole in it for that sensor.

Do you think this will fix my problem or am i going to have to deal with this again? Scanmaster still showing mal 34. but car is running fine

Thanks!
-Mike

Tried some MAF cleaner and it fixed the problem. Looks like it could be getting clogged up due to little holes in my old air filter. The air filter has a whole in the side for a sensor, is it the air temp sensor or something else? Im going to look for a new air filter but i guess i need one with a whole in it for that sensor.

Do you think this will fix my problem or am i going to have to deal with this again? Scanmaster still showing mal 34. but car is running fine

Thanks!
-Mike

I think it will fix the problem for a short time. For a daily driver I will recommend you looking into a maf translator so you can use a newer style maf sensor. I ran a setup like that back in 98 to 2001 and put over 50,000 trouble free miles on it without having any kind of a maf sensor problem. It will cost a little more initially but will be well worth the price over the long run and save a lot of time and frustrations of the car being down and trying to find a stock type maf sensor that works.

I would also suggest since you don't know much about the cars previous history you make sure the chip is matched to the injectors. A local guy here had a similar issue, running pig rich, terrible gas mileage, he had 60# injectors and the chip was burned for 42#'s. Also have a look at vortexbuick site. Lots of great info there.