87 Bone Stock Turbo T, Currently bone stock but wanting to mod.

TDmkr496

I recently purchased a bone stock 87 Turbo T, I would like to make some mods to it for some more power and am looking for suggestions.

I recently purchased a bone stock 87 Turbo T, I would like to make some mods to it for some more power and am looking for suggestions.

Leave it stock. Get another one of the thousands of cut-up cars to play with. Just an opinion.

If it has the original stock chip , get a new one from Turbo Tweak . The car will run better with today's fuel and a new chip. Also get a scanmaster .

If it has the original stock chip , get a new one from Turbo Tweak . The car will run better with today's fuel and a new chip. Also get a scanmaster .

Excellent point. I replaced my crap stock chip with a TT chip and the fuel pressure regulator to an adjustable one. The TT chip needs higher fuel pressure. I would get a scanmaster but the thing is ugly with no place to hide it. Any ideas?

Excellent point. I replaced my crap stock chip with a TT chip and the fuel pressure regulator to an adjustable one. The TT chip needs higher fuel pressure. I would get a scanmaster but the thing is ugly with no place to hide it. Any ideas?
Put it in the glove box if you don't like the look of it . The info it provides is invaluable.

Do you have an idea on how fast you want to go?? I ask because that might save you from having to upgrade multiple times...I suggest making sure everything is healthy with the car first...X2 on a scan master and chip...Also a good set of injectors it least 60lb's....

I would get a scanmaster but the thing is ugly with no place to hide it. Any ideas?
Get a Scanmaster G (gauge) then. Or, wire up a regular scanmaster with a cigarette lighter plug on the end of it so you can monitor when you want to, and unplug it and put it in the console when you don't.
X3 on not modifying a stock car, BUT, it's your car:cool:

IMO the biggest bang for your buck power wise is an Alky kit from Razor's and matching TT chip. A SM is a must for basic tuning and monitoring KR as well.

Basic mods, first make sure all your sensors , electrical components are sound, settings like TPS are checked, then colder spark plugs, open element air filter, gutted cat or test pipe, one of the better chips for stock injectors, they are okay at this level , but a step up would be better, new fuel pump , hot wired, and filter, adj. regulator, better valve springs, boost guage, adjustable wastegate, 160 thermostat,1 air bag, sticky tires , make sure you have a posi, and 100 octane plus when you want to race it, or for the street if you can afford it. Mid to high 12's are there. Mild old school entry level mods, not costly, but very effective, almost stock appearing, so much more fun to drive, also good base for further modifications if wanted.

Last edited:
I loved my almost stock GN. Set a budget then go from there. Bone stock it should run 13.8-14.2 at 96-98 mph depending on weight and conditions, tires, track etc.

TT chip
Good 340 style walbro pump
Hotwire the fuel pump
Change Fuel filter
Adj Fuel Press regulator (chip requires it)
Mech boost gauge
Scanmaster in glovebox or G one in dual pod
Dual or trip Gauge pod that sticks to right of dash, not A pillar
Gut the stock cat
Adjustable wastegate actuator - you can take it off, cut it, thread it and make it adjustable easy enough
Valve springs if they are original, you'll float them.
Verify TPS and all sensors in spec via scanmaster.
New Denso O2 sensor.

Run it like that on pump gas, should go 13.0's at 103-104 through the stock airbox.

A few mods I did more for reliability then performance was an updated maf with translator, and a TR6 ignition. The benefit of those items are that if you break down you can get the parts at any parts store. And if say you do a bunch of upgrades but don't build the transmission, the rev limiter in the TR6 will save your engine when you break the front drum in the transmission! Ask me how I know this, and thank you Bob Baily!!!

I loved my almost stock GN. Set a budget then go from there. Bone stock it should run 13.8-14.2 at 96-98 mph depending on weight and conditions, tires, track etc.

TT chip
Good 340 style walbro pump
Hotwire the fuel pump
Change Fuel filter
Adj Fuel Press regulator (chip requires it)
Mech boost gauge
Scanmaster in glovebox or G one in dual pod
Dual or trip Gauge pod that sticks to right of dash, not A pillar
Gut the stock cat
Adjustable wastegate actuator - you can take it off, cut it, thread it and make it adjustable easy enough
Valve springs if they are original, you'll float them.
Verify TPS and all sensors in spec via scanmaster.
New Denso O2 sensor.

Run it like that on pump gas, should go 13.0's at 103-104 through the stock airbox.

I too purchased a bone stock Turbo T last year and followed the above suggestions. The important this is to get the car running properly before you start to modify. There is a lot of information in this site. Be patient and go through as much as you can. I would start here:
http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/

Below is what I did and last month I ran a 13.3 at 100 mph.

-transmission fluid and filter change
-rear end fluid change with Redline 75W90
-Brake fluid flush
-oil change with AC Delco PF 52 Filter and ZDD Plus Additive
-Scanmaster
-boost gauge
-AC Delco R43TS Spark Plugs
- 160 Degree Thermostat with Kirban Stainless housing
- PVC valve and grommet
-check all belts and hose etc.
-Racetonix Hotwire Kit
-Test Pipe
-RJC Power Plate (clean the doghouse and throttle body at the same time)
-Metco Test-n-Tune Fuel pressure gauge kit
-Kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator
-AC Delco Fuel Filter
-RJC Racing Plug Wires
-RJC Racing 3" Exhaust (expensive but it will out live me)
-Kirban Mass Air pipe
-9" k&N Filter
-Turbo Tweak Chip
-Racetronix 255 Fuel Pump
-Passenger side air bag
-Kirban Adjustable Wastegate Actuator
-Mickey Thompson ET Streets 255-60-15
-Denso o2 Sensor

I only drive the car a 1,000 miles a year so I try to use unleaded 100 octane as much as I can. Again I am no expert on these cars but the above has worked for me and I am happy with the results. I can take my daughter to get ice cream and go out on date nights with the wife and not get embarrassed by some kid in an EVO. The main thing is to have fun and enjoy the car!

That is all good advice above, take a little info from each thread . I my myself like the TB stock with just a few mod.
My car ...340 walbro fuel pump with hotwire kit TT chip with 42 lbs injector,adj reg,I personally run E3 Plugs 2.1 S/M
You bought your car at a great time of the year with the temp and all ,our cars run there best in temp between 35 an 60
degrees. So take your car out on a nice dry cool day and see what it is made of. This will give you a good ideal what types
of mods you may be looking at . But as one of members mention earlier { you will need a budget these cars love deep pockets}

Allows you to see all the parameters in real time. Displays trouble codes, and with a TT chip allows you to makes fuel and timing changes.

What exactly does the scanmaster do?
It will show you knock retard & O2 millivolts as a default screen so you can see knock very shortly after it happened . It also has a recall feature to check if you had any knock during a run and what your O2's were at the time of knock . It also shows most ECM parameters & trouble codes . It is very helpful in trouble shooting problems which WILL happen !