85 Grand national how fast am I?

billygeg

Drove the car for the first time yesterday after weeks of working on it. A bit thrill till I hit the peddle :frown:.. Expected to be able to lite em up a bit but the car doesnt seem to have much till the tubo kicks in..How fast is this car supposed to be off the line? I know they are not as fast as the 86-87 but shouldnt I be able to atleast lite em up alittle on launch? car is running good with no codes. Any advise on bringing me up to speed!

Thanks Guys! :redface:

no real mods yet. I just bought the car about a month and a half ago as a restore project. Ive been all over this board since! You might remember I was the guy with the flashing code 12 while the car was running...The ECM was the problem. Anyway, as of right nnow the car needs rust work, front and back fillers, paint, and a few other things to finish it. When I bought it the car it needed interior work, New ECM, alternator, battery, fuel pump, brake lines, fuel filter plugs, wires, etc... Ive done it all in the past month or so. I just finished the work I needed in order to drive it yesterday. I was all excited wanting to see how fast this baby is...I was a bit disappointed when I hit the gas! It doesnt move as well as I thought it would. The only mods I know are a hypertech chip, adjustable bosche fuel pressure regulator, dual exhaust (I'm not sure the muffler brand but they look like old flowmasters) and a aluminum intake pipe with cone spector air filter. I sold my 1987 5 speed 5.0 mustang GT to buy this car...The mustang specs 0-60 are around 6 seconds. The 0-60 times on this car factory are supposed to be 7.5...So I figured its pretty close and if its almost as fast as the mustang I will be happy. Right now there is no comparison..The mustang I think would eat this car. I still love this car and am happy I got it.

Not trying to be mean Bill but....GET A FRIGGING SCANMASTER!!! My rant is over now, sorry. You need some tuning for sure. There are several members close to you but not that close. Go to the MAGNA section and see if one can help you. Get rid of the hypertech chip and get a turbotweek one. Much better chip and about $100 if I remember right, and go from there.

No Offense taken, I am open to all constructive ideas! I am new at this and who better to ask then you guys who know. In order to do that I have to upgrade the computer though right? In order to do that I need the 87 ecm and the MAF sensor? correct me if I'm wrong...Once I do that I can get the turbo tweak chip, slap that in and get the scanmaster and plug it to the ALDL? All I have to do afterwards is learn to tune the thing! I will see what I can do after the holidays...Funds are low! As you were, I am laid off since April...Thank you IBEW! lol...Have to see what kind of cash I get for Xmas...Isnt the car supposed to be able to lite em up alittle stock though? This car feels like my 1976 monza 2+2! ok maybe not that bad! It does go once the turbo kicks but before then alittle slower then I thought it would be.

Thanks! Bill

As said...get a scanmaster. You must have some tuning issues because you should be plentiful on the low end power. My 85 bone stock mustered a 8.9@ around 75mph in the 1/8. Either you have a problem with the tune, exhaust leak, or a very tight converter.

Well this car hasnt been driven in a few years..It was sitting in a field. I have to get it registered before I can actually drive it around anywhere. All I can do for now is drive it around my complex alittle and people frown on a car doing 75 mph throught it no matter how pretty it is...lol!!! I hear you guys. I will get scanmaster after christmas..I do have to do the ecm upgrade though right? That and the MAF?
Thanks! Bill

Yes you will but its a very easy swap. Just buy a used ecm/chip from someone on the board and a MAF then the air temp sensor from caspers.

Yes you will but its a very easy swap. Just buy a used ecm/chip from someone on the board and a MAF then the air temp sensor from caspers.
no need to wait around for someone across the country to send you an 87 ecm- i found an ecm at a local junkyard for $40, and got a turbotweak chip for $85. it totally changed the way the car runs.

As said...get a scanmaster. You must have some tuning issues because you should be plentiful on the low end power. My 85 bone stock mustered a 8.9@ around 75mph in the 1/8. Either you have a problem with the tune, exhaust leak, or a very tight converter.

X2
A few years ago, I could not spin the tires on wet pavement.
Sad but true. Found out one of the issues was the D7 converter which stalled around 1700 rpm.

I have a local friend who has a TA49 with a 2800 converter on an IC'd set-up who could not break the tires loose!
A TurboTweak chip and basic tuning took care of that, in a BIG way. :biggrin:

I a going to get a turbo tweak chip so I am not worried about the larger chip but what about the smaller chip? Can I use the one that comes in the ecm if I get it from a junk yard or do I need to use the one from my 85 ecm and Can I?

I a going to get a turbo tweak chip so I am not worried about the larger chip but what about the smaller chip? Can I use the one that comes in the ecm if I get it from a junk yard or do I need to use the one from my 85 ecm and Can I?

Last thing you want is a chip that is not for your combo.
The NA chips are different.

At this point, get at least a stock chip for the 85 ECM.
TT can burn a chip for the stock 85 ECM as well. . . . It just won't have the adjustability features and data capabilty.

Use the small chip(calpac) from your 85 ecm into the junkyard 87 ecm. The new TT chip is the larger one. Brad

ok, So when I get the 87 ecm I just use my small chip from my 85 ecm, add a trubo tweak chip, scanmaster, and change the MAF sensor to a 87 and I should be good to go? Anything else?

that would be a good start. do the spring cleaning the start with the small mods.

I had to add an AIT sensor to mine to make the CEL go off but that was the only other thing. Do you know what converter is in the car?

Mine was the same way when i bought it, great condition though these cars are just pooches from the factory! the first mods i did was; a spring cleaning, ECM swap w/turbo tweak chip, LS truck MAF/Translator,K&N, Powerlogger...this picked up a decent amount then i did 2.5'' Downpipe, headers, 3100 stall A/C converter,adj. fuel reg., walbro 340, 42.5# 009 injectors, TA-33 C, Meth Injection. After those mods the car picked up times a million and i then had hookup issues!:rolleyes:

Since then i have become a trader, and have gone TA-49, Powerstroke FMIC, Ported: Heads, thottle Body, 87' Upper/lower intake, 3 1/2'' DP,Innovative LM-1 WB02, Brian Hoffer trans with T-brake... Blah blah blah.. Anyways now slicks are a necessary thing for driving the car and even then it will still spin them unless heated..

Dont let it get you down they just take some TLC, and some mods to wake them up.. After doing some of the basic stuff you will start feeling some good power gains! Good Luck and have fun!
,Dan