'84 MAF with '87 ECM?

6SENSE

Any of you running like this? Hows performance?
I dont trust my '87 MAF. I think its crapped out on me. Ive thrown on one of my '84 MAFs that Ive got laying around and the car seems to be running good (idle/drivability is fine). There has been a complete difference with block learn #s. The car was running too lean with the '87 MAF. I think because it wasnt reading the correct amount of airflow (readings were lower than they should be), and block learn #s were high. Since swapping MAF sensors the block learn #s have gone down quite a bit (maybe too much: 100-110 when cruising). Now I think the car is running rich.
I know the '87 MAF was not in good shape, thats why it wasnt working right. Question is, is the good '84 MAF going to offer its own issues to worry about, like running rich? Should I be searching for another '87 MAF or perhaps a translator and LT1 MAF? Im concerned about tuning issues here.

I hear the consensus is that the 84 MAF can be okay but it will give you trouble at colder temperatures. WHich is (ironically) where "hot airs" run best. My own research has brought me to deciding on the Translator or Translator plus with an LS1 or LT1 MAF. If you are worried about tuneability the Trans plus will give you tons. This can be a good or bad thing depending on your knowledge and patience in tuning. I'm leaning toward that route with the extender chip once I get the cash. The standard Translator will do the job and you can choose any chip. The added benefit to an LS1 or LT1 is that they are readily avaliable and cheap. Unlike 86/87s and the unreliable remaned stuff. Just my $0.02, but it is backed by some homework.

Mine works well, I haven't had any problems with it, but you still can't beat the Extender/Translator+ and LT1 MAF or the MaxEffort speed density type for tunability, drivability, and they just plain work better.

84 maf

I have an 84 maf, no problems at all, but my chip is burned for an 84 maf(PTE). When this maf goes, I am definately going LT1/Translater setup.

I've got the 87 ECM, Thrasher and Blue Top injectors.

My 85 MAF is still there 'cause i'm still waiting for my Translator from Ramchargers so I can use my LT-1 MAF.

I can't drive the car much at all. The car hesitates, and seems like it has a miss when in drive. It idles fine and revs fine in park - but forget driving it. It feels like i pulled a few plug wires.

Since I ordered the Translator in MAY...i'm not happy right now 'cause it still hasn't arrived and I can't drive the car.

My opinion and Scott231's (Thrasher chip guy) is that the problem is the 85 MAF.

85 MAF on 87 ECM

Originally posted by HOTSIX
I've got the 87 ECM, Thrasher and Blue Top injectors.

My 85 MAF is still there 'cause i'm still waiting for my Translator from Ramchargers so I can use my LT-1 MAF.

I can't drive the car much at all. The car hesitates, and seems like it has a miss when in drive. It idles fine and revs fine in park - but forget driving it. It feels like i pulled a few plug wires.

Since I ordered the Translator in MAY...i'm not happy right now 'cause it still hasn't arrived and I can't drive the car.

My opinion and Scott231's (Thrasher chip guy) is that the problem is the 85 MAF.

I run 85 hot air MAF on 85 TURBO RIVIERA with 87 ECM,
I have cut a slit in the MAF plastic acordian duct between the maf sensor and throttle body, to in effect pass just a little more air than is read by MAF, ie, to lean out, O2's are ok ,780-820mv WOT

I put one layer of room air conditioner FOAM filter material wrapped around the new hole.

Regards