84 gn question about sequence number

just went to my storage unit just now for something else and took a pic of my trim tag while i was there:

528426_10152624371165441_965207264_n.jpg

going by the date code, the "12D" puts the body build date at the end of December and not the September i was remembering before. given that it's an 84 model, this is December of '83.. my VIN- 487619- puts it way ahead of the others that were posted in this thread.

Yes - that Paint code 27 is indeed odd
27 8532 Med Blue Met.

And the interior code
1984 Interior Trim Codes
22 - Dark Royal Blue

No hint of blue anywhere on this car - or is it a blue T-type and I missed something

My 84GN is 617517. Build date 07D.

Anybody want to buy Rear Lear seats? :)

Last edited:
i would have to look at your rpo tag on the inside of the trunk lid. take a pic of it and post it on here and i can tell you for sure.

i would have to look at your rpo tag on the inside of the trunk lid. take a pic of it and post it on here and i can tell you for sure.

I'm not sure what you are going to tell me that I already don't know. ;)

But if its for the greater good of your research, here are 2 pics.

Attachments

• 1387905126829.jpg
    1387905126829.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 1387905137668.jpg
    1387905137668.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 109
Also, all GNs WE2 in 1984 were classified as T-Types.

as far as i know, based on everything i've ever read since i got my car in the spring of '04 and decided to look into it, the GN was a trim level of the T Type thru the 86 model year, then became it's own line in 87. this thread was the first i'd ever heard of the GN getting it's own VIN sequence starting in 84.

Yes - that Paint code 27 is indeed odd
27 8532 Med Blue Met.

And the interior code
1984 Interior Trim Codes
22 - Dark Royal Blue

No hint of blue anywhere on this car - or is it a blue T-type and I missed something

yes, my car is a blue/blue 84 T Type.

as far as i know, based on everything i've ever read since i got my car in the spring of '04 and decided to look into it, the GN was a trim level of the T Type thru the 86 model year, then became it's own line in 87. this thread was the first i'd ever heard of the GN getting it's own VIN sequence starting in 84.

You are very correct. My VIN number throws the OP's original statement that Grand National VINs in 84 started at 550000 to 570000.

my 84 gn. the frame has 5/4/84 stamped on it and the attachment don't have much on it but it says 05C

Attachments

• DSCN1434.JPG
    DSCN1434.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 120
OK so while I was cleaning out paper I found the letter and documentation I obtained from GM back in 2005. The documentation consists of a personalized letter four pages in length containing, among other things, the receiving dealer in Canada, the production date (March 29, 1984), the model number - 4GK47 Regal T-Type 2dr sport coupe. NOTE: only the SPID code WE2 (100 sold in Canada) designates it as a Grand National. It also includes an 18 pages copy of the 1984 Buick Regal dealer brochure showing pictures of all Regals and all available options. It also includes pictures of available dashes, wheels seats etc. Next is a 34 page document labelled "GM Motor Vehicle Specifications - Metric (US Customary) Passenger Car 1984, Regal, Regal T-Type and Regal Limited. It includes references to all engine types and is thus not restricted to our GNs (3.8 LD5, 3.8 LM9,4.1, 4.3 and 5.7 gas and diesel).

Mine was delivered with Electronic Climate Control C68, alum brake drums J42, alum wheels N89, Hood turbo Alum T47, Reinforcement front bumper alum VD6, Reinforcement rear bumper alum VD7, Seat Frt Deluxe (Lear Siegler Leather inserts - trim code 995 and sand gray Brandon cloth 795) YR2 and Rear YS2. Interior trim code is 60H - Sand Gray and paint is 19 - Black.

It is interesting to note that the 1984 GN did not come with the Turbo Six GN tag on the rear spoiler - just on the fron fenders.

I would be happy to research any questions you may have by looking at the documentation given to me by GM but I am not open to copying all 56 pages. I don't mind scanning a few pages specific to you and emailing them so pm me if interested.

My VIN is 1G4AK4792EH550072 and as noted the cars' production date was March 29, 1984. GM did not differentiate GNs from all other Regals by production numbers, only by the option code WE2. 251 4GK47 Regals were imported into Canada and only 100 of these were WE2s. I have heard that only four were imported into the Ottawa area, but I can't prove that.

Have a great day!

Phil Errett
Ottawa Canada and Bonita Springs, Florida

"GM did not differentiate GNs from all other Regals by production numbers, only by the option code WE2"

I heard they pulled a Black T-Type off the build line, and added the GN package to it. They never dreamed these cars would be "collectable" and as such; gave them no special treatment or tracking documentation that I have yet to hear of... so if you know what goes into a GN... go find a T-type and add your package. (We expect Clones to be created) I would walk away from any perceived GN that doesn't have it's original rear trunk deck lid and it's original build sticker... at best you can claim it is a T-type among those in the know. ~smile

"GM did not differentiate GNs from all other Regals by production numbers, only by the option code WE2"

I heard they pulled a Black T-Type off the build line, and added the GN package to it. They never dreamed these cars would be "collectable" and as such; gave them no special treatment or tracking documentation that I have yet to hear of... so if you know what goes into a GN... go find a T-type and add your package. (We expect Clones to be created) I would walk away from any perceived GN that doesn't have it's original rear trunk deck lid and it's original build sticker... at best you can claim it is a T-type among those in the know. ~smile

why would they "pull" a car off the line to add an option package? they just built them according to the build sheets as they moved down the line.

they pulled GN's off the line to modify into the GNX- but even that's not totally true since there were specific parts that got welded (seat back brace) or bolted to the body (extra body mounts) while it was being built. then when it rolled off the end of the line, they put them on a truck to be shipped to ASC to put on all the "good" stuff to make it into a GNX.

why would they "pull" a car off the line to add an option package? they just built them according to the build sheets as they moved down the line.

they pulled GN's off the line to modify into the GNX- but even that's not totally true since there were specific parts that got welded (seat back brace) or bolted to the body (extra body mounts) while it was being built. then when it rolled off the end of the line, they put them on a truck to be shipped to ASC to put on all the "good" stuff to make it into a GNX.

That's exactly what I thought they did.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That's exactly what I thought they did.

some people seem to think that the GN was some sort of a special hand built car and not just another variation of parts that were put on a Regal body shell... from a manufacturing standpoint, it's no different than when they would build an IROC Camaro right after a V6 model or a 4X4 truck between a pair of 2 wheel drives- it's just different combinations of parts put on by the same people as yet another generic body rolls by on the line.. i'm sure they might have built them in batches to make it easier to line up and stage all the parts along the line, but every once in a while i'm sure a custom ordered GN would roll thru in the middle of a batch of some other more generic flavor of G body..

Some of the T-types surely were pulled out of the line, as were certain GN's (The moonroof offering surely required such an outcome).

Speculation on my part.

Built like an IROC...( I hope not... LOL )

they probably did the moonroofs the same way they did the GNX- build a complete car, then ship if off to an outside shop for finish work. hell, i think they went to the same place that did the GNX..

and from a manufacturing standpoint, lining up the parts to build a GN in the middle of a run of plain Regals is no different than lining up the parts to build and IROC in the middle of a run of base model Camaros- just different parts on the same shell put on at the different stations based on what the build sheet and/or a computer told the person to put on that particular car as it slid by.

Creation of an Astroroof car began before it even arrived at the assembly line. The hole in the roof was not cut but stamped with the edges rolled prior to paint at Fisher Body. ASC did not make or install the GM factory sunroofs.

That is interesting...

I own one of the loaded '84 GN's... even has the Turbo 6 nose badge you find on the T-types.

For someone that has worked factories for years. I can tell that all the cars rolled down the same line in stages. What is done is they build so many at a time to keep up with demand. Which means they go through a model change procedure. They would run base Regals for a while then change the line over to build the turbo cars. These changes were just made when upper management had scheduled them to build them. Hard to say how to tell what the production line sequence was. I am still trying to wrap my brain around that one. What I want to know is does anybody repop the door stickers for people doing restoration on one.