84 gn question about sequence number

does anyone know if there is a 1984 real gn that the vin number starts with anything other than 550000 like any number lower lower than that like 549999 these numbers are the last 6 numbers in the vin number. its my understanding that all real gn's started with the 550000 sequence and went up. i have personally never seen a real 1984 gn with any other sequence number other than 550000 and up meaning all 540000 and up were regular regals and t-types so if anyone knows of a documented 1984 gn with anything other than 550000 and up please let me know i have searched for over a year and have never found a real gn with the last 6 vin numbers in the 540000 range only in the 550000 range which again would make my gn the third one made thats a real gn not a t-type. if you find any with 540000 and up to 549999 make sure you can trace it back to a real gn by the rpo tag and cowl tag but i dont think you will find one maybe a t-type someone turned into a gn. let me know if you find one so i can put this to rest.

look at my last post.. yours is far from the 72nd Regal off the line in the 84 model year run... in fact, given your production date, it's probably about the middle of the 84 model year run.. it might have been the 72nd one off the line that particular day, but definitely not for the model year.
we are talking about the gn run not regular regal's and t-types and the gn run started with the 550000 sequence unless you can prove me wrong. who cares about regular regals. regular regals are good for one thing PARTS.

the sequence numbers are the last 6 numbers in your vin number so the sequence numbers for a real 1984 grand nationals should be 550000-570000 because only 2000 gn's were made that year. i based this on alot of info but the best way for you to tell that i am right is to research on ebay of 1984 gn's that have sold or come up for sale in the future the real gn's will always have the last 6 of the vin be 550000-570000 if your last 6 of your vin is not within these numbers you do not have a real 1984 grand national period. its most likely you have a t-type turned into a gn if your sequence numbers dont fall within the range above or worse a regular regal that someone transplanted a gn drivetrain into.

Last edited:
does anyone know if there is a 1984 real gn that the vin number starts with anything other than 550000 like any number lower lower than that like 549999 these numbers are the last 6 numbers in the vin number. its my understanding that all real gn's started with the 550000 sequence and went up. i have personally never seen a real 1984 gn with any other sequence number other than 550000 and up meaning all 540000 and up were regular regals and t-types so if anyone knows of a documented 1984 gn with anything other than 550000 and up please let me know i have searched for over a year and have never found a real gn with the last 6 vin numbers in the 540000 range only in the 550000 range which again would make my gn the third one made thats a real gn not a t-type. if you find any with 540000 and up to 549999 make sure you can trace it back to a real gn by the rpo tag and cowl tag but i dont think you will find one maybe a t-type someone turned into a gn. let me know if you find one so i can put this to rest.

so what your saying is that mine is a T TYPE since the sequence number on mine is 519663.

i see what your talking about on the 84 but that is a show car meaning they made some gn's first to show off at dealerships and shows to promote the car. and that is why you see a very low sequence number. they only made 5 show cars.

Last edited:
so what your saying is that mine is a T TYPE since the sequence number on mine is 519663.
what does your cowl tag say for the paint code we can figure out real quick if you have a true gn and send me a pic of your rpo on the inside of the trunk

The cowl says 19L 19U Laquer and heres a pic of rpo

Attachments

• rpo tag GN 003.JPG
    rpo tag GN 003.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
The cowl says 19L 19U Laquer and heres a pic of rpo
damn dude you got me there your car is the first one i have seen thats a true gn with a sequence number lower than 550000 other than the 5 show car gn's. in fact you have a true gn i will have to do more research on this deal then.

damn dude you got me there your car is the first one i have seen thats a true gn with a sequence number lower than 550000 other than the 5 show car gn's. in fact you have a true gn i will have to do more research on this deal then.
does your car have a digital dash, t-tops, power windows, power antenna?

No digital dash but has power windows and antenna.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

interesting. mine has t-tops, digital dash, power antenna, and manual windows all on my rpo tag as well. right when i think i have this figured out you came and busted my bubble man.

I will have to go to my Storage and get it it... Weather permitting tomorrow I will get it.

1g4ak4795eh594745 . hey this is an 84 grand national im thinking about getting.. is it a true grand nation or a regal t ype?